General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by vampyre_princess »

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

-- 1 Corintians (1-13)

Okay so I get that not everyone is religious but I think the 2nd paragraph in this quote sums up true love perfectly. What about everyone else?
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

vampyre_princess wrote:If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

-- 1 Corintians (1-13)

Okay so I get that not everyone is religious but I think the 2nd paragraph in this quote sums up true love perfectly. What about everyone else?
I agree with that having read it, its really the true expression of what love is.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

^^ That's exactly what I think, even though it does come from the Bible (and I can thumb through mine and find it easily) I still think it's the perfect description of what love is... it basically saying that if you don't have love you are nothing, and if you keep note of what your partner does wrong and you do not trust them then it isn't love... or more specifically true love.

It says Love is the greatest of all emotions, which I think it is... but it's also the one that can be lost easily and can hurt the most...

Pixie ♥
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

Love is something so easy to say but means so much.

But i wonder what it actually feels like to imprint or find true love? Like really? I think it would be hard to comprehend unless it happened to yourself, a little like Jacob- you really dont know and then bam!
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
BabyEsme2203
Learning to Love Green

Post by BabyEsme2203 »

I definetly think true love is real. but i dont think its a choice, it just happens. You cant control whom you REALLY fall in love with. I mean sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking we love someone like crushes etc, but truly, deep down, we know its not real. When that real 'true' love is found, we realise automatically how wrong we were about the others :)
Image Image
ShoTheCat
Settled in Forks

Post by ShoTheCat »

To me, true love exists, no question.

if you truely love someone I think you can forgive everything. you just want to be with that person no matter what and you want to be there for them, to be their shelter. it´s giving and taking. having respect for each other.

here a little poem:
Love...

A word made from countless tiny pieces of glass.

Some of them are edgy and pointed,
Others round and worn off.
Some are light, others are a darker colour.
Most of them are quite big and easily visible but there are also much smaller, more subtle pieces.
Most of them are clear and translucent.
Some though are quite opaque.

But all of them put together make a beautiful mosaic.

by Malveiyr
ImageImage
BabyEsme2203
Learning to Love Green

Post by BabyEsme2203 »

great poem hunny, but i always wondered WHAT exactly it has to do with love?
Image Image
madness_falls
Wandering Through Town

Post by madness_falls »

I definitely have always believed it has. I think you have to have an incredible amount of patience to wait till you end up on the right path to meeting your soulmate. I believe you gain experience from absolutely everything, and cause and effect play a huge role in every day life. My own personal life for instance, if I had gone to the grade school I was supposed to, would I have met the guy who introduced me to my boyfriend (whom I've been dating for over three years). I think everything you do in life puts you on a specific path that will give you the oppurtunity to live the life you want and meet that soulmate. Even divorces and deaths of spouses early on in life puts you towrads meeting that person that you will most likely spend the rest of your life with if you so desire to.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Well, I'm not going to disagree with the biblical quote! It does sum it up brilliantly!

I believe in God, and I believe he was at work when I met my husband. So much of it was dependent on chance.

Okay, now I'm going to bore you with my story!

In the mid-nineties, my brother started to visit a lot of internet chatrooms. He is very shy, and it was a great way for him to make friends. I'm not a great friend-maker either, so I thought it might be fun to visit some chatrooms myself. But my brother was on the only computer so much, I only got a chance every Saturday morning.
One week I got the 'flu (the SERIOUS 'flu) and was off work for a week. Towards the end of the week I was feeling better and bored, so I went on the internet at a time I didn't usually go on. I visited an American chatroom, and had never met anybody from Australia there before.
Anyway, while I was chatting, the words came up, "Dagsy enters the room". I rolled my eyes at that. Dagsy didn't sound too appealing, just by his name. I said to myself, "Great. What a loser. I bet if he likes anyone in this room it will be me!" We chatted a little, and we agreed on a few things, and before I left the chatroom, he asked for my email address (by now I knew he was in Australia, in Melbourne, a couple of states away from me). I immediately thought, "Axe murderer! Stalker!" and wasn't going to give it to him. But he persisted, even though I tried to discourage him by saying that nobody I ever exchanged emails with ever emailed me back. He said, "Oh, I will!" and that didn't exactly encourage me to hand it over.
In the end, I gave in, because it was just an email address, and I figured I could change it if he became a problem.
I never saw him in the chatroom again. But we emailed each other once a week for the next year. We found we had a few things in common, and, much to my surprise, halfway through the year he said that he and his family had been considering moving to the Gold Coast (about an hour's drive from where I live) for about the past ten years, because his grandparents lived there. That freaked me out, especially when he said that his parents were seriously considering the move in the next year or so. But I didn't hear from him for a few weeks after that, so I thought it probably wasn't going to happen. Phew!
Not long after, he sent me a message to say that he and his sister were moving to the town I live in, instead of the Gold Coast, in two weeks. "Can I stay with you?" he said. NOOOOOOOOOOO! We didn't have the space anyway. Fortunately, I have some friends who are very welcoming and had two spare rooms and were happy to put them up until they found a place to live (their parents were delaying their move until they sold the house in Melbourne).
So we finally met face to face. I wasn't keen, and he wasn't particularly either, at first. I was just a convenient local contact as far as he was concerned. But five weeks later, we were dating, and I married him eleven years ago.
I can't help thinking how freaky it all was. I met him in an American chatroom, after going there once at a time that I didn't normally go there. We managed to keep in contact for an entire year, and when we finally met, we were so suited to each other that when we had pre-marriage counselling, our pastor was saying, "Hm, is there anything you two don't have in common?" "Sport," I replied. He was relieved that we confessed to something! He was afraid that we were lying to him, I think!