General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by Nena »

I decided to open this thread in our Twilight world discussion forum because I think most people that are interested in serious discussion, usually hang out here.
Lexiconer Gamb1t came up with the idea of having a sort of XX vrs XY face off, to discuss on whether or not true love really exists.

If this is your cup of tea, feel free to join. Remember that we all have different opinions and while discussion of the different opinions is ok, we don't want to turn this thread into a debate.
Come and share your thoughts, feel free to reference to our loved book characters if you want to.

I asked Gamb1t to keep an eye on the discussion to make sure that we stay on topic, etc. Any questions feel free to pm me or to let Gamb1t know :)

Enjoy.
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by gamb1t »

Hey everyone, I figured I'd post first to get things started off. I was inspired for this from a final paper I had in a class recently, and it seemed like it could make a good topic for the Lex. The reason being was that out of around 60 people (about 40 girls, 20 guys), all 40 girls said that they believe true love exist (these girls range in age from 20-25, as well as the guys although most were around 22 like myself). However, the guys were split about evenly, half saying that they believed true love existed and half believing that true love was just a myth. Now I realize this is on a Twilight forum, with everyone here being as big or bigger fans than myself, and I realize most people read this book because of romance, true love, etc. I won't get in to that because it's off topic, but really....does true love exist? The arguments tend to center around this. True love does exist, that we are destined to have a counterpart/soul mate, or that true love exists because humans can't live completely without love. As for true love not existing, I read a few of the papers from fellow classmates and they did make valid points. One person was a HUGE and I mean HUGE Darwin fan, and stated that from an evolutionary standpoint, we are animals. Therefore, we (more specifically guys but girls too) will just try to do our best to continue on the species through reproduction,etc, and that love was more of an illusion. Another person said that true love is something created by fiction (ironic, lol...but I WAS one of the guys who said I believed true love DID exist)...and that it is bad because some people miss opportunities in life because they are counting on true love, or are under the false pretense that true love does exist. Anyways, there were some other pretty mind-provoking thoughts and topics that came up in class, but I'm interested to hear everyone else's view on the subject. Try to keep it clean guys and gals :)...I promised I would keep an eye on this . So.....DOES TRUE LOVE EXIST? (and your reason for believing so or not)
ImageImageImageImage
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Post by n0vaice »

I believe it does. But only a few people do manage to find it.
But true love can sometimes be cruel because people tend
to hold out the better opportunities and wait for the best.

I have so many ideas about this topic that I'm mixing them up in
my head I can't even understand my mind right now.

For starters True Love exists cause it's just another form of love.
A love that blinds all insecurities, obstacles and imperfections between two people
because they believe and they know they have found the person they are meant to be with.
The only friend they'll ever need, the only thing they'll ever need.

True love has to exist cause that is the only reason I keep waking-up everyday, the only
reason I put up with my life. I'm waiting for my very own Twilight Saga to begin, waiting for my own Bella...

Too much drama sorry... can't help it. Certified Hopeless Romantic.

I would also like to add to the topic above so we can have a better discussion
"What is your definition of true love?"
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
The Architect
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by The Architect »

True Love does not exist, its just a bunch of fancifull arts students daydreaming over something that can never exist.

No one will ever love you unquestionably and be undeniably yours forever, love is an action as long as you keep acting love out you will love the person. But once you stop acting out love, you will notice you just dont care about that person.

TA
What If I'm The Bad Guy?
dopeydm
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dopeydm »

One person was a HUGE and I mean HUGE Darwin fan, and stated that from an evolutionary standpoint, we are animals. Therefore, we (more specifically guys but girls too) will just try to do our best to continue on the species through reproduction,etc, and that love was more of an illusion.
Considering that some animals have 1 mate for their entire life, I think I may be able to argue that even animals have "true loves".

Yes, I believe that true love does exist. That each person has to decide what he/she believes is true love. I believe that I have found my true love and have been married to him for 9 years. I don't believe that true love is all blinding but an attachment that stretches beyond the ordinary attraction. Someone that knows all of you (faults included) and will always be by your side. I have to say that Adam Sandler said it well in the Wedding Singer, "I want to grow old with you".

I saw Bella's and Edward's love to be "true love" within New Moon. The idea of not being with the person crushes you completely. You feel that the sun will never shine again. This, to me, is Bella's definition of true love. (Yes, I know she is just a character, a well rounded, well thought out, 3 dimensional character)
"But you see, just because we've been...dealt a certain hand...it doesn't mean that we can't choose to rise above -- to conquer the boundaries of a destiny that none of us wanted."
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Wow...what a deep topic. IMO true love does exist. The ability to love someone unconditionally, no matter what their faults may be is true love. I believe that it is possible to find your true love and be happy for the rest of your life. I don't, however, believe in only ONE "soulmate". For example, say you find your true love and you get married. Then, that person dies. Some time later, however long that may be, you find someone else that you love as much, even if not in the same exact way, as the first person. Does that mean that the second person isn't your true love just b/c the first person wasn't? IMO, no. I believe certain people are put in your life at certain times for certain reasons. Therefore, I believe that you can have true love twice. I'm sure it isn't very probably b/c most people are looking for true love to be some big grand thing and they miss out on a chance at true love by not realizing that it's the simple things a person does for you that proves true love. There aren't going to be bells and whistles and flashing lights to prove true love but someone sticking with you through thick and thin, no matter what or how horrible you are to them during the bad times, that's true love.

Of course you're going to have to work at it. It's not always going to be rainbows and sunshine. There are going to be problems but the ability to work through those problems and still love the other person unconditionally through those problems is another sign of true love. My mom used to tell me, when she was mad at me, "you're my child I have to love you but I don't have to always like you". I know she was joking but that saying kinda fits here. You're not always going to like that person, some days you're going to be SO mad at them but if you have the ability to still love them at the end of the day no matter how angry they made you, that's true love.

Obviouslly I could say a lot more lol. But I'll stop now and just say YES I believe true love exists. Whether you find it or not, for whatever reason, is another thing.
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

dopeydm wrote:
One person was a HUGE and I mean HUGE Darwin fan, and stated that from an evolutionary standpoint, we are animals. Therefore, we (more specifically guys but girls too) will just try to do our best to continue on the species through reproduction,etc, and that love was more of an illusion.
Considering that some animals have 1 mate for their entire life, I think I may be able to argue that even animals have "true loves".
True some animals do have the same mate for their entire life...but I'm pretty sure it's only like 2 or 3 % of the animal population (funny thing is, humans aren't considered monogamous in that aspect lol....i remember reading that from a history of science/religion assignment like a year ago). So, it would come to the point to argue that it might kind of be like imprinting in a way....that animals try to find their best bet of continuing on their line of species....but who knows....maybe other animals do feel attachments toward one another
ImageImageImageImage
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

vampirenerd wrote:Wow...what a deep topic. IMO true love does exist. The ability to love someone unconditionally, no matter what their faults may be is true love. I believe that it is possible to find your true love and be happy for the rest of your life. I don't, however, believe in only ONE "soulmate". For example, say you find your true love and you get married. Then, that person dies. Some time later, however long that may be, you find someone else that you love as much, even if not in the same exact way, as the first person. Does that mean that the second person isn't your true love just b/c the first person wasn't? IMO, no. I believe certain people are put in your life at certain times for certain reasons. Therefore, I believe that you can have true love twice. I'm sure it isn't very probably b/c most people are looking for true love to be some big grand thing and they miss out on a chance at true love by not realizing that it's the simple things a person does for you that proves true love. There aren't going to be bells and whistles and flashing lights to prove true love but someone sticking with you through thick and thin, no matter what or how horrible you are to them during the bad times, that's true love.

Of course you're going to have to work at it. It's not always going to be rainbows and sunshine. There are going to be problems but the ability to work through those problems and still love the other person unconditionally through those problems is another sign of true love. My mom used to tell me, when she was mad at me, "you're my child I have to love you but I don't have to always like you". I know she was joking but that saying kinda fits here. You're not always going to like that person, some days you're going to be SO mad at them but if you have the ability to still love them at the end of the day no matter how angry they made you, that's true love.

Obviouslly I could say a lot more lol. But I'll stop now and just say YES I believe true love exists. Whether you find it or not, for whatever reason, is another thing.
You said it all. That's my thought exactly.
For those who don't believe in true love, you must lead a sad, depressing life.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

debussygirl wrote: You said it all. That's my thought exactly.
For those who don't believe in true love, you must lead a sad, depressing life.
Maybe....I mean I do believe it exists.....but then again, you have to remember some people aren't looking for it because that is their happiness...they are just as happy skipping from girl/girl or guy/guy than they would be settling down with one person....Once again....I'm just trying to make for a more complete topic since it is a deep subject...so just trying to throw all viewpoints out there
ImageImageImageImage
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I agree that some people enjoy the single life. Does that mean that they don't believe in true love? Or are they just having fun until they find their true love? I never really enjoyed the single life. But then again I met my fiance when I was 17 and we've been together ever since.