General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: The Twilight Saga Book Covers

Post by darkrider »

eizel wrote: new moon- no one really knew but here what i think it is...
I think that it represent Bella's heart... the one small petal falling represents her broken heart when Edward left, something is torn from her life, something is missing. The flower still look pretty and looked like nothing changed but we all knew that somehow something changed because we knew that one petal is missing even when Edward came back for her. err sorry for my English, im really not good at explaining things.
I agree completely! You took the words straight from my mouth!

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Ok, I'm going to post my thoughts, and then go back and read everyone's posts.

Twilight- I got that right off the bat. The Bible verse in the beginning; forbidden fruit- obvious.

New Moon- I heard that Steph said she had nothing to do with the cover, but she never offered what she thought it meant (that I can recall). I think the flower represents Bella's love, or heart; her relationship with Jacob is growing, and the falling petal is her broken heart for Edward. No matter how hard she tried to move on, a part of her would always grieve for Edward; he was her first love, her only true love, and nothing can ever replace that.

Eclipse- I understood it more after I read the book... The ribbon is Bella's life; the broken strands represent the things she'd leave behind when she became a vampire; the 2 threads still connecting the 2 ends of the ribbon are for her family and Jacob, because those are the most important things in her life that she is struggling to reconcile giving up.

Breaking Dawn- I had no clue as to what it meant. I haven't read "Merchant of Venice" or "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream," so I didn't draw the comparisons. I thought that Nessie was the red pawn, and Bella was the Queen, but the more I read, that didn't seem to fit. After hearing SM explain it, yeah, it makes sense- Bella as a newborn, Bella as a strong vampire!
brianna_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by brianna_cullen »

im pretty sure i know what the 1st 3 mean...

twilight-the apple is like edward and bella to each other. the fruit of temptation. they want each other while thinking that they really shoudn't have each other.

new moon- the flower is wiltig, and so is bellas life. it is meaningless without edward and could easily be thrown away.

eclipse- bella is torn between 2 worlds and 2 people. she doesnt want to leave her family behind after her transfornation, but knows that she will have to. she is also torn between her love for edward and jacob and how if she choses one, it will hurt the other and then she finds out that she loves jacob too and yet she has to choose edward because she knows from experience that she cant live without him.

still working on breaking dawn, but i think that bella is the large chess piece, showing that she is no longer so fragile like the little one. she can fend for herself, but also for others, which is put to the ultimate test in this book.
Edward can bruise me anyday.

ilovetwilight
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by ilovetwilight »

TWILIGHT: The apple on the cover of Twilight represents "forbidden fruit." I used the scripture from Genesis (located just after the table of contents) because I loved the phrase "the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil." Isn't this exactly what Bella ends up with? A working knowledge of what good is, and what evil is. The nice thing about the apple is it has so many symbolic roots. You've got the apple in Snow White, one bite and you're frozen forever in a state of not-quite-death... Then you have Paris and the golden apple in Greek mythology—look how much trouble that started. Apples are quite the versatile fruit. In the end, I love the beautiful simplicity of the picture. To me it says: choice. -stephenie meyer

NEW MOON: it is a ruffled tulip, i think it shows how bella grows through the book, and the small petel falling is edward, and although she grows throughout the experience a small part of her is missing, well more like a very big part.

ECLIPSE: most people says it bella being torn between edward and jacob.

BREAKING DAWN: Breaking Dawn's cover is a metaphor for Bella's progression throughout the entire saga. She began as the weakest (at least physically, when compared to vampires and werewolves) player on the board: the pawn. She ended as the strongest: the queen. In the end, it's Bella that brings about the win for the Cullens. -stephenie meyer
Active Donor for: DBJ & Co. (Dontating Blood to Jasper!)
Jackhammer Trainee for: EDC Inc. "Let's break down some houses"
Co-Captain for EDCCS!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Twilight - As SM stated it was a take on the forbidden fruit - the porcelain hands could be Edward(but they look too feminine) offering the fruit to Bella - as someone said in an earlier post - Choice.

New Moon - I feel it is Bella somehow - falling apart, like maybe a part of her is dying(the petal falling off)

Eclipse - The precarious thin string that holds the relationships together ( Jacob & Bella - friendship and more) and Edward & Bella's relationship challenged and tested.

Breaking Dawn - as stated by SM red pawn (Bella as a weak human) white queen ( Bella as the most powerful weapon on the battlefield and vampire ) The chess board itself was the baseball field(battlefield) .
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

though SM has already explained all the covers I think they could mean whatever we interpreted form the books, for instance i read someone's take on BD cover they said that the cover represented Bella, the queen, as she progressed through the game or battle, protecting the weakest player on the board, renesmee, cause that's all that matters to her in that moment.
Applepolisher
Settled in Forks
Location: Chandler, AZ . . . just a hop, skip, and a jump away from where it all began.

Post by Applepolisher »

I think the first book is the most eye-catching. From a distance, I always assumed it was a girl offering the forbidden fruit (as in Eve), but I was looking at it after I finished it and was so surprised! The hands are delicate, but I'm almost certain that they're boy's hands, like a teenager . . . after that, the cover makes so much more sense to me. Without ever voicing it, Edward created a choice. Because of him, Bella discovers another path she could take that she never knew existed but his existence also provides new and dangerous knowledge that kicks her right out of the ignorance-is-bliss-Eden that most of the human characters live in at that point in the story. It's by far my favorite out of all the covers, with Breaking Dawn coming in at a close second.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I think that the "choice" theme goes both ways in Twilight.

~Edward certainly has a choice here. He can either go with the temptation that Bella's blood offers him, the strongest primal urge he has ever felt, or he can fight that urge to stay true to his family's lifestyle.

~Bella also has a choice. She can either listen to Edward's cryptic messages about how he is the bad guy and dangerous, or she can follow her heart and listen to the love she knows will keep them together, despite whatever danger comes.
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

Twilight- forbidden fruit
New Moon- worst moment in Bella's life
Eclipse- Choice
Breaking Dawn- Bella went from weak to the strongest character in the series

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
Doodle
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doodle »

I was wondering, well we all know Stephenie didn't choose New Moon's cover and we can all connect the book to that flower, but if it was your choice what would that cover be/what would you represent on it?
"because days come and go, but my feelings for you are forever"