The Honeymoon

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby edward4ever » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 pm

ringswraith wrote:
edward4ever wrote:
ringswraith wrote:I'm a bit torn on this issue. On the one hand, I did feel that there should have been a little more (detail). However, I can fill in the blanks myself pretty well, so I actually prefer how Stephenie Meyer did it. It keeps the story from becoming this "sexual" thing and keeps the love story intact without becoming too... I want to say vulgar, but that's too strong. Crude, perhaps?

Were the first 3 books vulgar? That's all I was looking for...we didn't need to fill in any blanks ourselves with those.


Ah, but were they ever as intimate as they were in Breaking Dawn? Nope. The closest scenes would be in Eclipse: the night Edward returns and moves Bella to the bed; and when Bella tries to make her desire known to Edward- both scenes done while fully clothed.

And as I said- I wanted to say vulgar, but that was too strong. "Crude" is perhaps too strong as well. I'll settle for "described in some detail." There are young kids reading these books after all. In my opinion, it would have detracted from the narrative flow.

It IS the narrative flow that I'm talking about!

You don't say anything about having a problem with the first 3 books...or, for that matter, the love scene's after Bella becomes a vampire. That is what I am talking about. The narrative flow was brought to a screeching halt when nothing was described on their wedding night. I am perfectly content with the description of their next two "encounters" on the island because we didn't need any description at that point. The moment we had been waiting for had happened already.

My main point is that we had been reading about how much they wanted to be together for 3 books now and the intensity of the anticipation was palpable. To skip over it entirely because the subject was too "adult" to even broach is ridiculous! All that was needed was exactly what was given in the first 3 books and after her transformation, that's it! No explicit description of what exactly they were doing was needed. That is NOT what was missing.

We were riding on a wave of anticipation for almost 1800 pages and when we reached the crest of the wave...SM says "Ah...you know what....nevermind...I'm not gonna tell you...it's too 'adult'". :o :shock: YOU GOTTA BE FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!!

And then, she goes right back to describing their feelings and emotions during later sexual encounters they have. It was a brick wall in the usual narrative flow that we got comfortable with up to that point...and past that point as well. It was just weird. As I said...it seems like about 4 pages were just cut right out of the book.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
User avatar
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby ringswraith » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Ah. Now I understand. Sorry for missing your argument. :oops:

Hmm. In light of that, I wonder... True, a little build-up would've probably been in keeping with the scenes from Eclipse. A couple of thoughts come to mind:

1. It's the first time, for the both of them. There is something sacred about that, and no matter what happens next it will be something that they will always remember. There's no way really to convey a "first time," not in a way that would appeal to the majority, since everyone is different. Not having it illustrated leaves us to imagine how it would be, in a way that lets us satisfy our curiousity in a positive manner. (That is, we're free to imagine how it goes, and it would likely go how we would expect it to, so we would be satisfied with that imagery. I hope I'm making sense here.)

2. The aftermath. Given what happened to Bella, I believe it would have been a difficult scene to write. Sure, she enjoyed the experience... But when we see the result... I'm not sure. I would not have been comfortable writing about it- even from Bella's perspective. It would be like setting something up that's this grand and beautiful thing, only to have it brutally torn to shreds the next page. (Not that it doesn't happen that way in Breaking Dawn- but I think the reaction would have been more jarring had there been more of a narrative prior to it.)

As far as the scenes after Bella is changed- I think that had to happen, given the change in narrative style. I'm not talking about a drastic change- but Bella as a human narrated differently than Bella as a vampire. She had way too many thoughts going on, all at the same time- explaining some things this way illustrates how her mind works now. She goes into so much detail once she changes, it's only natural for her to do it.

Also, I believe the scenes we're getting after the change are kind of "making up" for that missing scene in the honeymoon. :)

Anyway, I do humbly apologize for missing your argument so completely. /bow

I do see your point though. And part of me does agree- it does seem a bit like we were gypped of something good.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby edward4ever » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:58 pm

ringswraith wrote:Ah. Now I understand. Sorry for missing your argument. :oops:

Hmm. In light of that, I wonder... True, a little build-up would've probably been in keeping with the scenes from Eclipse. A couple of thoughts come to mind:


2. The aftermath. Given what happened to Bella, I believe it would have been a difficult scene to write. Sure, she enjoyed the experience... But when we see the result... I'm not sure. I would not have been comfortable writing about it- even from Bella's perspective. It would be like setting something up that's this grand and beautiful thing, only to have it brutally torn to shreds the next page.

Anyway, I do humbly apologize for missing your argument so completely. /bow

I do see your point though. And part of me does agree- it does seem a bit like we were gypped of something good.

WHEW! *wipes back of hand across forehead* :roll:
I was beginning to think I wasn't speaking english. :lol: Sorry I was so persistent but I knew you (and other's who have commented) were misinterpreting what I, and other's, have been trying to say about this point.

I agree with you...we do not need a detailed description of them losing their virginity but I'm confused as to what you mean by "The aftermath" and it being "brutally torn to shreds".

Are you referring to her bruises? If so, Edward wasn't being brutal when he left the marks, and Bella, in no way was harmed by him. You try making love to a boulder and see if you don't end up with bruises on you, even if it didn't hurt. :lol: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist joking. :D
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
User avatar
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby ringswraith » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Haha. Sorry I was being so, to quote Edward, "obtuse." :) I can't believe I missed your point!

What I meant in my second thought (the aftermath) was: Let's say there was some detail of that time. Something sweet, doesn't have to be that detailed... And then we continue to the next morning. To me, it would have made a shocking transition from "aww" to "OMG What happened?" Even more shocking than it is now. And I was plenty shocked when I read that part of the chapter. Instead of feeling sorry for Bella, I think I would have been outraged at Edward.

It's kind of hard for me to explain. I suppose it's an opinion.

I guess I'm coming from the same angle that Edward is. This is the only thing Bella's wanted prior to being changed. She has a history of downplaying anything, for the sake of others. Even if she did enjoy it, and we all know she did, I would think as Edward does- she probably just downplayed feeling hurt to keep him going. Feels a bit touchy a subject for me to write about.

Ah well. Agree to disagree? Am I forgiven for being so stubborn and obtuse? :)
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby twilightsagaaddict » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Edward4ever~oooooo I just read your fanfic! OMG!! It was awesome! It was the first time I've read any fanfic-I always wanted to just stick the original story, but I think you may have changed my mind! It would have fit perfectly into BD. Great work! :D
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
User avatar
twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: wishing I could immerse myself in fan-fic....

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby edward4ever » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 pm

ringswraith wrote:Ah well. Agree to disagree? Am I forgiven for being so stubborn and obtuse? :)

Yes, agree to disagree! Perfect! Trust me, I can be EXTREMELY stubborn...well, you saw a bit of it! :lol:
You're right, I think you are seeing it from Edward's perspective, whereas I see it from Bella's because that's what I was given, so I KNOW she wasn't hurt. Poor Edward...and you....you're beating yourselves up over nothing! :D
twilightsagaaddict wrote:Edward4ever~oooooo I just read your fanfic! OMG!! It was awesome! It was the first time I've read any fanfic-I always wanted to just stick the original story, but I think you may have changed my mind! It would have fit perfectly into BD. Great work! :D

Thank You Much Dear! :D That's actually the reason I wrote the fic, because I wanted it to stick to the original story...and too many fic's I'd read were a HUGE departure or just way too "Rated X". I could never see Edward doing or saying some of the things I read in the other fic's...they made me blush!! :oops:
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
User avatar
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby ringswraith » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:35 pm

edward4ever wrote:
ringswraith wrote:Ah well. Agree to disagree? Am I forgiven for being so stubborn and obtuse? :)

Yes, agree to disagree! Perfect! Trust me, I can be EXTREMELY stubborn...well, you saw a bit of it! :lol:
You're right, I think you are seeing it from Edward's perspective, whereas I see it from Bella's because that's what I was given, so I KNOW she wasn't hurt. Poor Edward...and you....you're beating yourselves up over nothing! :D


Nope- not nothing. We're talking about the loves of our lives, here. ;)
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt
 
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby edward4ever » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm

ringswraith wrote:Nope- not nothing. We're talking about the loves of our lives, here. ;)

True...Very True....I apologize. It won't happen again! :? Well...it might, so let me apologize again, in case it does....sorry.... :)
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
User avatar
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby suzzeeQ » Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 am

Honestly, I didn't like it, the sex scenes in particular.

It may be just me, but I didn't find the broken headboard and the bruising romantic and sexy. It really bothered when she started crying and begging for sex after she woke up from the dream. When she said she wanted to give up turning into a vampire to have more sex, I literally put my book down in disgust.

The bedroom scene in Eclipse was steamier than all the sex in Breaking Dawn.

I wasn't expecting lemons, but the sex could have been tastefully done in more detail. I had to reread some parts to realize they even had sex. No sexy time for me. Sorry.

Maybe it was because I was eighteen at the time and was mature enough to handle more.

For the movie, if they even do it, I am hoping for "The Notebook" type sex scenes. They were hot without being raunchy.
User avatar
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:23 am
Location: Indiana

Re: The Honeymoon

Postby Jadey » Sat May 30, 2009 6:13 am

Keeping Breaking Dawn PG13 or 'young adult' was a joke.

I wanted some juicy details :l
Na.

I do agree that there was a biggish/longish build up to it.. and we ended up getting ripped off.
But I got a bit distracted the first time by the bruises and whatnot to even be mad that there were no details.
But all the other times from then on just got boring. Yawn.

And I didn't like the part when she woke up crying, begging for it.. either. :?
Image
^ by ForJazz
Image
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
User avatar
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle
 
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am
Location: New Zealand

PreviousNext

Return to Quench Your Thirst

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron