Cocoa

Pride and Prejudice

Post by Cocoa »

Discuss the paralles between Pride and Prejudice and Twilight
NessieCullen
Settled in Forks

Re: Pride and Prejudice

Post by NessieCullen »

At first, Edward is very standoffish to Bella, but then, just like Mr.Darcy and Lizzy, he realizes he loves her and they end up together. I know this is very obvious, but it's the only conclusion I can make so far.
TeamEdward
Because they were meant to be. (And vampires are SO much hotter!)
FAVE QUOTE: Edward "You're awfully small to be so hugely irritating."
Please, please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, publish Midnight Sun!
HazedInDeadlyPollen
Wandering Through Town
Location: somewhere in the many worlds of my brain...with Edward...

Post by HazedInDeadlyPollen »

NessieCullen wrote:At first, Edward is very standoffish to Bella, but then, just like Mr.Darcy and Lizzy, he realizes he loves her and they end up together. I know this is very obvious, but it's the only conclusion I can make so far.
I guess it makes sense that that observation is made since Twilight is only loosely based on Pride and Prejudice.I think the role of Lady Catherine DeBorough directly tranlates to Rosalie with her strong prejudice to Bella as Lady Catherine has to Elizabeth Bennet.I also feel Esme's role slightly corresponds to Miss Darcy's role.
if I'm not talking it means I'm lost inside my mind...
- nANCY ^_^
S_M_G
Learning to Love Green

Post by S_M_G »

Ha! It's so funny that this thread is here. I am overdosing on Pride and Prejudice today. First I watched the 1940 version and then the 2005 version.

You know what the parallel between them is? It is the notion that men like Edward Cullen or Mr. Darcy exist. It poisons us, makes us search for that pure love and passion that is lost in this century. Elizabeth is "plain" so is Bella but they get the main guy in the end. It makes us relate.

I can never read Pride and Prejudice too many times nor can I read Twilight too many times. It is as romantic everytime ;)

"You give faith to the ones you love,but the people who really deserve it are the ones who come through even when you don't love them enough".”
secsec1
Settled in Forks

Post by secsec1 »

hehe. the 1940's Pride and Prejudice is an interesting movie. its like P&P meets Gone with the Wind. But any who. I think the Jane Austin connection is stronger through the Saga than just in the first book. I've taken to telling customers (i'm a book seller at a Barnes and Noble) that the book is more like Vampires meet Jane Austen. And was talking with a customer who didnt like the books and she doesnt read Austen type novels and totally agreed with me that you kind of need to enjoy those type books to enjoy the Twilight Saga. The more i read the saga, and the more i talk with poeple, the more i feel like i'm kind of understanding people's opinoins on it (both negative and positive). And in many way i'm also learning about myself more.

But back to TS, Breaking Dawn does have a very Austen ending, and in many ways, i'd LOVE to know how much authors like Austen and other women writers from that same time period influence her writing, because it seems like there is a stronger connection than i first thought.
Clarity of mind means clarity of passion, too; this is why a great and clear mind loves ardently and sees distinctly what it loves.

Blaise Pascal
French mathematician, physicist (1623 - 1662)

MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Huge connection!

Jane's heroines are always intelligent headstrong women...who deserve more than they believe they deserve. Plain on the outside, DAZZLING on the inside!

Her men, are dashing, and in the end sensitive beautiful men...but there is ALWAYS the sexual tension!

I think thats how it relates the most....Jane could get your heart pounding with a glance or a touch...she didn't need raunchy sex scenes...she kept her couples anticipating....Stephenie captures that exactly!

With Austin novels I almost always feel disappointed when they realize their in love cause the lead up is so awesome!!!!
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

A smallish connection: Renee reminds me very much of Mrs. Bennet. Both are immature, flighty, and neurotic. Of course, there is the slight twist that Mrs. Bennet was obsessed with marrying off her daughters and Renee was obsessed with not marrying off her daughter (at least initially).
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
secsec1
Settled in Forks

Post by secsec1 »

moon sidhe wrote:A smallish connection: Renee reminds me very much of Mrs. Bennet. Both are immature, flighty, and neurotic. Of course, there is the slight twist that Mrs. Bennet was obsessed with marrying off her daughters and Renee was obsessed with not marrying off her daughter (at least initially).

Renee is WAY more observant that Mrs. Bennet is. I agree Renee is a little flightly and i see the connections, but i think in some ways, Renee is a deeper charactor, but in other ways, she very much fits the Mrs. Bennet roll. I also think Charlie is a pretty good Mr. Bennet. Charlie and Bella have the same type relationship, after she moves to Forks, as Elizabeth and Mr. Bennet do.
Clarity of mind means clarity of passion, too; this is why a great and clear mind loves ardently and sees distinctly what it loves.

Blaise Pascal
French mathematician, physicist (1623 - 1662)

kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

Well I read Pride and Prejudice riiight before Breaking Dawn came out and I definitely did notice a lot of the similarities. I think both authors can make a reader very emotionally invested in their characters. I know I'm always going to have a place in my heart for Edward and for Mr. Darcy. I also think that both create strong female characters that can be a role-model to many young girls.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Lady Catherine and Rosalie kind of remind me of one another, because Lady Catherine was not at all thrilled at the concept of Mr. Darcy and Lizzy together, just like Rose hated Bella in Twilight because Edward found her more attractive. Different reasons, but a vaguely similar role in the story.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com