General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Twilight Universe General Philosophical Musings

Post by Knives »

December wrote:On a slightly off-topic note, Knives, I'm wondering if you found the time travel in The Time Traveller's Wife well done, or still paradoxical and frustrating (certainly it was much more painstakingly thought out than Stephenie's).

Wait, I can't believe I'm asking this. I HATE getting snarled up in time travel paradoxes.... Don't answer that!!! Back to Edward, Bella and Fate everyone please.... (*grin*)
I'm, ah, rather embarrassed to admit this, but I've never read that particular book, though I have heard of it.
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Embarrassment not necessary (at least in my book): I liked it perfectly well, and thought its narrative strategy -- and engagement with the emotional implications of time travel -- interesting, but I didn't personally consider the book a Must Read. But if Time Travel stories interest you, it would certainly give you something to think about! And it certainly presents the conflict between our sense that we make choices freely, and the fact that what is (as yet) undecided will some day have become immutable fact (and is from that future perspective, already fated,) very vividly.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Knives »

December wrote:Embarrassment not necessary (at least in my book): I liked it perfectly well, and thought its narrative strategy -- and engagement with the emotional implications of time travel -- interesting, but I didn't personally consider the book a Must Read. But if Time Travel stories interest you, it would certainly give you something to think about! And it certainly presents the conflict between our sense that we make choices freely, and the fact that what is (as yet) undecided will some day have become immutable fact (and is from that future perspective, already fated,) very vividly.
Y'know, I once had a most enlightening debate on that subject with a professor of Quantum Physics. I must track the gentleman down again...
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.