General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Illegal Activities

Post by Amivera »

skylarblue wrote: I believe that Carlisle wouldn't allow anyone in the family to do anything illegal for one's own personal gain or enjoyment.
You don't think driving dangerously over the speed limit is for one's personal gain or enjoyment? I'm sure they're just rushing off to cure cancer and put their miserably long lives to good use. Am I right, or am I right? :roll:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Amivera wrote:
You don't think driving dangerously over the speed limit is for one's personal gain or enjoyment? I'm sure they're just rushing off to cure cancer and put their miserably long lives to good use. Am I right, or am I right? :roll:
I didn't mean it like that. Their driving fast doesn't really affect anyone because their reactions are faster then a humans, so if there was the possibility of an accident then they could react fast enough to stop it. For example when Bella was going to be crushed by Tyler's truck.

I was talking more about something they did that could actually harm someone that the Cullen's couldn't controll or prevent.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

skylarblue wrote: I was talking more about something they did that could actually harm someone that the Cullen's couldn't controll or prevent.
Perhaps their driving fast couldn't hurt anyone, but that all depends. Rosalie has no special powers. She can't see the future, read minds, or feel anger from other drivers. Whether or not one has fast reflexes, I don't believe they should be allowed to break the law just because they THINK they won't hurt anyone.

Sure, they're vampires, but how quickly can they really react? If a car comes out of nowhere and smashes into the side of Rosalie's convertible, that other driver is going to die, because she's driving so quickly and dangerously.

Drunks think they can drive. They think "I'm not *that* drunk. I can still control this car", and we've all heard about what happens then.

:)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
twigal
Wandering Through Town

Post by twigal »

Yeah, but Edward said vampires have a lot better reflexes than humans so it's not like they're going to get into a crash.
I'm just going to waste time wandering through town until something Twilight-related comes by.
Davrick
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Davrick »

Amivera wrote:
skylarblue wrote: I was talking more about something they did that could actually harm someone that the Cullen's couldn't controll or prevent.
Perhaps their driving fast couldn't hurt anyone, but that all depends. Rosalie has no special powers. She can't see the future, read minds, or feel anger from other drivers. Whether or not one has fast reflexes, I don't believe they should be allowed to break the law just because they THINK they won't hurt anyone.

Sure, they're vampires, but how quickly can they really react? If a car comes out of nowhere and smashes into the side of Rosalie's convertible, that other driver is going to die, because she's driving so quickly and dangerously.

Drunks think they can drive. They think "I'm not *that* drunk. I can still control this car", and we've all heard about what happens then.

:)

Think about how they view the world and their concept of time, how much they can take in. A mortal catching a vampire off guard or unaware seems pretty impossible with how much they can process even at the peripheral. Edward has the advantage since he knows where everyone is(except Bella, but he never takes his eyes of her anyways), but I don't think the others would be too affected by not knowing.
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

I disagree.

As I said before, you can't be completely sure that they'd be able to save themselves and others. What's their need for rushing, anyway? They have all the time in the world— literally.
There's no reason for them to drive fast— illegally — just because they have a 'need for speed'.

Drunk drivers think they won't hurt anyone. They think they're capable.
Vampires think they won't hurt anyone. They think they're capable.

You could make an argument for a difference, but there are always risks.
The Cullens do not *need* to drive at 110MPH, they just do. It is against the law. It is illegal. It is unnecessary.

Of course, it's all got to do with the way you look at things. I don't like car crashes. :D
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

In some ways the Cullens could be considered the "bad" vampires. Think about it--as harsh as the sounds, the normal vampires are just obeying the laws of nature. Humans are their food source. Only humans consider humans to be above other animals. As superior beings, the vampires just see us as food.

The Cullens, on the other hand, break laws and, with the exception of Carlisle, do absolutely nothing to aid society. They just take up space. I can understand their need to forge papers since it is essential for their survival, but I do not think they should be frivolously breaking the law. Alice predicting the stock market is especially disturbing. That is basically stealing. The only reason the stock market works is because people take risks when they invest. By eliminating the risk, the Cullens are indirectly stealing from people who need the money even more. As for driving fast, I agree with everything Amivera said. There is also the matter of them hunting animals out of season. Their loopholes in the law don't change the fact that there is a reason for restricting the hunting. I also find it improbable that no one notices the decrease in bears.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Ok...one comment on the driving fast thing. Think about after Bella wakes up from her transformation. When she goes into defense mode and then realizes she is the danger the family is afraid of. Think of all the things she notices and then the fact that it didn't even take her a second to notice all of that stuff. It would have taken a normal human quite awhile. There are a few instinces in the Twilight saga and Midnight Sun that show how much information they take in in half a second. I think they wouldn't be a danger to anyone.
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

I wonder if the Cullens have a room filled with boxes upon boxes of illegal id's and all that other stuff.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Only if they keep all their old id's. I'm sure they could fill up boxes with the ones they've used in the past but to me they seem like they would just destroy the old ones whenever they get new ones...that way there is no evidence lol