General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Love Triangle-Bella, Edward, Jacob

Post by Emmettroselover »

"Convenient" is the main clue there. If Summit really wanted to make sure everything fit, I am sure they would have found a way to work with Rob and the others who were unavailable....Rob was not the only one....and that goes for a lot of scenes. I find it hard to believe that they could not be intuitive enough after two films to know what could be taken the wrong way, but it is mainly that they don't care enough to change the things if it is too much effort. For example, did they really think that changing Jasper's hair, not once, but twice was going to go over well? It is the same studio and a lot of the same people working together to get things moving and yet even Condon joked about Jasper's hair being changed so much. There are certain things that Summit doesn't care enough about to spend money on to change for the fans that make the films a success. That is what is frustrating. Without the fans, the films would have never survived Twilight, but instead of taking a page from HP and Warner Bros. they just do what they please, then hype up things that end up not coming across well, and then make excuses why they didn't work. It has gotten to the point that the more they hype, the worse I feel about what to expect.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Yes, it certainly seems that way, although ironically, I remember SM joking that they finally got Jasper's hair right in Eclipse! But in a series where several characters are meant to look very much the same, you'd think some continuity between the makeup and hair department people would have been seen as a good idea. I guess that's another problem with a new director each time. They all have people that they like to work with. I really wish they'd let CH do them all, although I guess that would have upset fans who didn't like her style, and there are plenty of them, it seems!
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I wonder how bad the hair and makeup is going to be in BD. Part of me really wishes that they had at least cast someone as Rosalie that was either naturally blonde or willing to keep their hair a consistent dyed blonde because Nikki's (poorly bleached) blonde hair in TW annoys me to no end. In the first movie the only time I bought Nikki as a pretty blonde was when her dark roots started to grow in and gave the hair a golden-ish colour.

I feel bad for both Nikki and Jackson because both of them get really bad wigs. And that wig they had on Kristen in EC was pretty bad too. Is the same hair and makeup people doing all the films or are they changing with every director, cuz it's starting to remind me of the changing look of the dementors in HP; the ones from POA were the ones I liked the best.

The hair and makeup consistency plays out almost as badly as the triangle does on screen, same for the look of the wolves and Edward's Volvo.
Emmettroselover

I actually commend Nikki for trying to be dedicated to the role. Her hair fell out because of it and I was relieved once they wigged her in the other films. Hardwicke had a hard time finding a Rosalie and she went with Nikki because of her acting, which I prefer a good actor over a face any day. Plus Nikki Reed is gorgeous.

She takes a lot of unnecessary hate from the fandom for speculation and hearsay about her, but her actions, words, and charity work usually go unnoticed. She is in one of those situations that no matter what she does, someone will find a way to twist it into a hateful thing. Anything she says will be somehow used against her. Out of all the original cast, if I were her I would probably be the one who is ready to move on the most and get away from the haters for a bit, but who knows. She seems to really love her role and plenty of the cast seem to have mixed feelings like she might have. They want to move on and do something else, but also know there will never be anything quite like Twilight again. That is just my opinion though based on interviews and press.

I think her hair looks fine in NM and Eclipse, so while I agree about her hair in Twilight, it isn't a big issue for me anymore. I liked the Jasper hair in Twilight and was so confused with the mop they used in New Moon. It was better in comparison in Eclipse, but I haven't seen enough of the BD hair to decide yet. The Eclipse hair was either hit or miss though for most fans. Some loved it and some hated it, even when SM backed it. I know he gets to use his real hair in BD so at least it won't look fake. They even changed Edward's hair too much for me, sideburns, no sideburns, cut shorter or shaggier, it's like make up your mind and even Rob comments about it a lot. Kristen's hair issues were her choice so I wasn't annoyed with Summit on that one. She decided that chopping it all off to play Joan Jett instead of wigging a mullet would be a good sacrifice. In turn, the hair looked horrible in Eclipse, but at least it will be back to normal in BD. Peter's hair seems to be changing a bit as well and his isn't as noticeable, but it is different. I loved the pixie look in Twilight, but understand why Alice's hair has changed. I don't like it, but I understand it.

My biggest issue has to be the makeup. I actually like the complexion in Twilight, but in New Moon and Eclipse it was extremely obvious that it was caked on makeup. I loved the contacts in Twilight because they didn't look overly obvious which I think was supposed to be the point. In New Moon and Eclipse, they look yellow and stand out so much, but in Twilight the eyes were a great golden brown that didn't look weird. The lack of consistency has always been a punchline with these films. I am not sure who to blame with that, but Jasper's hair is by far the biggest change.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Do you know who the other choices were for the role of Rosalie when they were casting the first movie because I`m, unfortunately, one of those that think she got the role based more on her relationship with CH in the first one more then anything else. It just seemed odd to me that they cast a tanned brunette to play a pale blonde, but I do kinda like her performance as Rose when I don`t pay attention to her hair.

As for Jackson`s wig in EC, I liked it, but woulda liked it better if it were blonde and a tad bit shorter.
Emmettroselover

There were actually tons of people who tried out, including Kellan's ex Annalynne McCord. Yes Hardwicke knew Nikki beforehand. Neither of them hid that fact and still talk about it. Kiowa got the role after SM told him to try out for New Moon and he knew her from church, but that doesn't mean he wasn't the right fit. Nikki and Hardwicke worked together before so she knew she could trust Nikki's acting skills. Like she said in an interview, either the actresses auditioning were blonde enough or had the acting skills but not both. She always thought Nikki was beautiful and could act, so she chose her. She is the not the first director to choose an actor they actually have worked with before. In fact, directors prefer to have actors they have good chemistry with instead of hoping for the best with someone they do not know. Hardwicke has made it pretty clear what her reasoning behind each choice was and SM actually had a lot of say with the casting even though she was overruled at times. Hardwicke wanted her opinion even when they did not agree. I still think it is hilarious that SM was not a fan of Rob being Edward and now he is one of the hottest actors in the world because of he is Edward Cullen. Nikki did not get the role just because she knew Catherine Hardwicke. She got the role because after looking for the Cullens for so long, including Edward, Rosalie, and Emmett which seemed to take a while, she went with someone she knew could live up to her expectations and had the acting chops. If they would have just given her a wig from the beginning it would not have been an issue, but people would still hate on Nikki.

That is something I just do not understand. Peter is a brunette playing a blonde, Jackson is a brunette playing a blonde, Kellan is a blonde playing a character with black hair, and they had to change Emmett's curls solely because Kellan just finished Generation Kill and his hair wouldnt grow out in time, so why does it seem like Nikki Reed gets grief for the same things that the men had issues with, especially since Kellan and Jackson's hair issues have been issues throughout each film? It is because Kristen, Ashley, and Nikki are right. If they do or say anything, the females in this fandom are ready to attack them, but the boys can get away with pretty much anything. It was interesting when they talked about that because you could tell it actually bothered them, but it is true. Rob can make off the wall comments and still be loved and forgiven because he is Robert Pattinson. Jasper's hair has been atrocious and inconsistent and Kellan's lack of curls transformed a big reason Rosalie was attracted instantly to Emmett into something that isnt even mentioned in the films, and yet they get passes. That is another flaw of this fandom, the cattiness that only females seem to harbor toward each other. It is sad, but part of a lot of hatred spewed.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Emmettroselover wrote:I still think it is hilarious that SM was not a fan of Rob being Edward and now he is one of the hottest actors in the world because of he is Edward Cullen.
Where did you read that? Everything I have read (including on SM's website) has said that she felt he was a reasonable choice for Edward. SM has the original stuff put up on her site when the casting was first done, and she seems quite satisfied, and I have never encountered anything that made me think that she was unhappy with the choice, although I know heaps of fans where!
Emmettroselover

There are plenty of interviews, mainly from Hardwicke and Rob that talk about that. It wasnt that she hated Rob as a choice, it was that she was not impressed. Hardwicke talked about that so much and still does. SM and the studio didn't think Rob would be a good fit. Hardwicke knew Kristen had amazing chemistry and wanted Rob. She said it had to be him so after much discussion, they went with Rob. SM and Rob even disagreed about Edward on the set of Twilight, but once it all came together she was really impressed with him. That is why Hardwicke teases so much that she is responsible for making Robert Pattinson what he is today while others weren't so sure about him. SM already had an idea in her head about Edward....more like a Henry Cavill....and it took her time to get used to Rob. That is another reason why so many fans were against him and even signed a petition for someone else to be Edward. Oh how things have changed. Hardwicke also went into more detail about it at the Phoenix Convention I went to. When she saw the chemistry between Kristen and Rob, she knew he had to be the one, but it wasn't until others saw him on set in hair and makeup that they started to see it too. Now SM loves Rob and can't see anyone else as Edward, but it is funny how things change.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I believe that it's sexism why the women get so much grief, while the guys are seen as being hot no matter what. But as a guy, that's my opinion.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Emmettroselover

Oh and also SM was digging Jackson as Edward more. That's another reason why Jackson was in the running for Edward first. Hardwicke said she knew they had to have him in the movie no matter what and she was happy to see how he fit as Jasper plus how well he got along with Ashley Greene who really wanted to be Bella. I love interviews and press with Hardwicke because she has no filter about stuff like that. She is a PR nightmare and confesses stuff sometimes that she shouldn't like just how much Rob and Kristen got along and while other directors shy away from certain topics, she will just talk until she can't anymore. That is another reason I think she was fine with moving on beyond Twilight. She knew that her personality would not fit well into the new way the movies would be handled. I think it would have been too much pressure. I studied Hardwicke for a while because I go to a university in Texas where she used to live. I even got to meet her and she signed my Director's Cut book. She seems really amused with how things played out, especially Rob's level of stardom.