Made fun of for liking Twilight?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by bored by the sea »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha dude me too either that or i seriously missed something the fifty thousand times i've read the saga, i mean how promiscuous can you get when your vampire boyfriend halts even any full on snogging?!?!:lol:
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

bored by the sea wrote: i mean how promiscuous can you get when your vampire boyfriend halts even any full on snogging?!?!:lol:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! This might be my new favorite quote. Best comeback line I could ever use against those jackarses. :lol:
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

bored by the sea wrote:i mean how promiscuous can you get when your vampire boyfriend halts even any full on snogging?!?!:lol:

Best comeback I have ever heard! But its true right? I mean my eight year old friend was told by her teacher that it wasnt suitable to read. I was like....gawd. Its not like there is anything bad in it at all! Apparently its too 'sexual.' these people make me sick, they obviously havent read it, and anyway even if she reaqd BD it would go over her head as its implied, not stated graphically. It really annoyed me, It was an old teacher I used to have in Primary too, her mum went in to tell her what I said about the Saga, That if she read it, she would find nothing unsuitable and she relented, but it really really annoyed me
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Total Twilight Fan wrote:
bored by the sea wrote:i mean how promiscuous can you get when your vampire boyfriend halts even any full on snogging?!?!:lol:

Best comeback I have ever heard! But its true right? I mean my eight year old friend was told by her teacher that it wasnt suitable to read. I was like....gawd. Its not like there is anything bad in it at all! Apparently its too 'sexual.' these people make me sick, they obviously havent read it, and anyway even if she reaqd BD it would go over her head as its implied, not stated graphically. It really annoyed me, It was an old teacher I used to have in Primary too, her mum went in to tell her what I said about the Saga, That if she read it, she would find nothing unsuitable and she relented, but it really really annoyed me
Oh for the love of all that is holy!!! I actually had to sign a release form so that my 7th GRADER could take The Saga out of the library at school!!! I called the librarian and had a conversation with her about The Saga. It was a decision by the school board based on "sexual suggestivity". I asked if the people who made the rule or voted had bothered to read the books. We had a nice long conversation about them after which she agreed that our school board is made up of absolute morons. And, she said she planned to read the novels herself. My 8 year old has listened to all 4 novels on disc, as well as seen the films. He loves them. And, ironically, he makes the most brilliantly enlightened comments about them. Teh other day, we were listening to Eclipse in the car, the scene where *growl* Jacob forces a kiss on Bella *growl* and my 8 year old says, "Man, Jake is a jerk. He shouldn't have kissed Bella like that. She didn't want him to. I'm glad she punched him." I swear to all that is holy, a momma has NEVER been so proud in her life.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

I'm shocked! I can't believe we're talking censorship here!!

THEY MUST BE THINKING OF THE MOVIES, NOT THE BOOKS!!

We know the movies are pretty tame, but come on - we know how Robward and Taycob are being marketed. Some of us even fall prey to the "sexual suggestiveness" of Robward!!!! (understatement)

IT IS NOT THE BOOKS (Well, maybe BD.... :oops: )

Caryn - Good for you - standing up for Stephenie Meyer!!! They are morons. Do they also demand that intelligent design be taught in biology class????
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Getting a bit pathetic isn't it? I bet the people who say these things haven't even read the books. Although, when I was at school 'The Old woman who ate a fly.' was banned because it upset one kid, and I think its stupid. Im glad they relented, but luckily at Secondary they let us take out what we want (Even though I own everyone twice) but im glad that people are standing up for the Saga.
rollie715
Wandering Through Town

Post by rollie715 »

Amongst the recent defensive positions stated here, I would consider myself to be mostly in agreement. I would like to add that I think the content of both the books and movies should be following the PG13 guidelines in that younger children need the interaction of responsible parents to discuss the subject matter when questions arise. In that light I believe they are a wonderful catalyst for parent/child conversations on these usually neglected subjects. They refreshingly bring these matters out in the open in a wholesome way where we can put them in a proper perspective. As with other media, much of it will be over the head of 8 year olds, but tweens would benefit even more so by experiencing them along with a parent.

As for school censorship, I think we need more books written like this in their libraries, not less.

We watched both Avatar and New Moon in the last couple of days with our grandchildren and I had to mute or pause Avatar more then New Moon to help minimize the emotional impact on the younger ones, and then it was mostly for intense or violent scenes.
What I enjoy the very most is when my… enhanced abilities let me save someone who would otherwise have been lost. It’s pleasant knowing that, thanks to what I can do, some people’s lives are better because I exist
- Carlisle Cullen
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

I agree with the film censorship, as they are a little more plot varying there, but I think its the quality of writing, and the content that is misjudged.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Rollie~ I agree somewhat. I'm of the opinion that parents should be the ultimate authority on what their kids watch and/or read. There are things I would not dream of letting my 12 year old watch that my 8 year old has no problem processing or seeing. It's just their different natures.

On a positive note though, while my 12 year old takes a good bit of ribbing from his male friends for being a TwiGuy, he has an inordinate number of female friends who absolutely love that he not only reads, but understands the books. :D Hmmmm, I may come to regret that one day. :lol:

TTF~ That's the literal truth. Most of the people who put down or object to the books havent actually read them, or if they have, they haven't read them completely, just skimmed. I have no idea how it is someone feels justified in not only forming an opinion about something, but then spouting that opinion as an argument to preclude the experiences of others when they don't have all the information. Those are what I call idiots.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Has anyone read Speak or the movie based on it? The novel has been challenged because if its content(a criticism of date rape, something that all of us are appalled by), but it was written along PG-13 guidelines for the teen/YA audience, and the film was written and presented along those same lines for the same age group, because how many times on the 6'O clock news do we hear about teens and young adult girls being raped and murdered? Way too much! Laurie Halse Anderson wrote Speak for the purpose of educationg teens/YA women on that sensitive subject on what happens when the go through something like that, and hopes that it inspires others to help those in need and not to end up voilated or dead themselves.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia(I can't believe that I'm quoting that site): Due to its controversial subject matter, Speak has often been challenged. In the Platinum Edition of Speak, released 2006, Anderson spoke out against censorship. In material printed at the end of the novel, following an interview regarding the content of the book, Anderson wrote:

"But censoring books that deal with difficult, adolescent issues does not protect anybody. Quite the opposite. It leaves kids in the darkness and makes them vulnerable. Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance. Our children cannot afford to have the truth of the world withheld from them"

Just because something deals with something difficult to talk about under normal circumstances doesn't mean that you're helping anyone--if anything, you may be maintaing the status quo, which doesn't help anyone.

As for the Twilight Saga, no violence against women here(aside from Jake kissing Bella without her consent), but it does present a difficult subject matter: the concept of love and relationships. Granted, it's to a large extent fantasy, but it does give some good advice on what love is and means, and how sometimes it's good to be "just friends" in a relationship, and that it doesn't mean that you love the person any less, but sometimes you have to make a choice like that in your life, and decide what's best for you and stand up for yourself.

Granted, I wouldn't recommend that those under the age of 11 or 12 or so read the novels as far as understanding those concepts, but people vary. I friend I know on TL has read all the novels and is only 11(though she also echoed my comment as a general rule), and someone here has someone who's only 8 and perfectly well understands the novels. It's there that responsible parents come to the forefront, and if you know your kids, that's a good sign. But then again, I've watched bloody violent movies and George Carlin speicals since I was 10, and I turned out OK :). Everyone is different, but going out of one's way to try and censor something that in the films or even in the books from and offensivivness stand point is for the most part borderline PG/PG-13 rated when there's worse on TV every night is a sign of ignorance or stupidity that's only too prevalant today. One person get's slightly offended, and everyone suffers. Don't wanna read the books? This is a free country, and you have the choice on that. Don't wanna have your kids read the books? Consider their age and maturity, and with that info you have the right to make that choice. It's called being a parent, and is something that I'm kinda skeptical if not downright cynical at times about with today's culture(and I'm 23, single, and with no children if anyone's curious about my opinions, and feel free to message me if you have comments or questions). Just glad that their are some people out there who still have some common sense.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/