Made fun of for liking Twilight?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by bored by the sea »

izzysmum wrote:
HarryTuttle wrote:That's a load of crap about this being "High School Musical with fangs", that HSM is just crap. Twilight is very different! i think it's a very unique and David Lynch-like fantasy mystery thriller series with a touch of romance and the actors are more professional than the HSM kids who are just plain 15 year olds.

Teen chicks ruined this stuff's reputation as much as it did to Titanic 16 years old, i think Twilight can be appreciated by all ages, sex and sexual orientions.
It wasn't me who thought that (thought I'd better add this lol), but it's one of the many 'insults' I've had from the mickey taking I've had.
don't worry we know, we were just discussing how said person who insulted you was a fool :lol:
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
HarryTuttle
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by HarryTuttle »

But do you know who David Lynch is? the filmmaker of the bizarre who did films like "Blue Velvet", "Elphant Man", "Eraserhead" and the creator of "Twin Peaks".

I do consider Twilight to be more like a vampire of "Twin Peaks" with a mix of "Harry Potter".
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

i don't personally see any link between david lynch and twilight. To watch david lynch stuff you have to be on the correct level (and i have no idea where that level is). I've watched his films and i just don't get it, it's almost as if he tries to make everything as wierd as he can possibly do, and from my view point very confusing, where as twilight is very simple to grasp and you just need a little bit of imagination for everything to slot into place.
I hope i haven't offended anyone with that opinion, but i just found his genre too hard to attempt concentrating on to bother understanding it. (if any of that makes any sense at all :lol:)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Last edited by Edwards Wheels on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
3dw2rd Cull3n
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by 3dw2rd Cull3n »

I know a lot of people call Twilight vampire fagpires, but they're being unfair. We can call them violence junkies, but we dont.
3dw2rd cu||3n, biting willing humans since 1 AD
HarryTuttle
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by HarryTuttle »

Would Twilight be called Titanic with fangs? what's with the Titanic comparisions BTW? i've heard people call Twilight the movie "Titanic with fangs on land".

Fagpires? that's unfair. What about "The Lost Boys"? that movie has total homoerotic elements to it you know such as Corey Haim with his flamboyant clothes even a "Born to Shop" t-shirt, a half naked poster of 80's heartthrobe Rob Lowe on his closet door, stuffing stuffed dead beavers in his closet cause he's afraid of them, being different, drinking a different fluid and all that sort of thing until the main guy will get cured of being who he was.
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

I can remember my sister being so into the whole Brat pack thing, and the ribbing she got for it, i get that ribbing now for liking those movies 20 years ( nearly 30 years) on. It's the whole coming of age thing and the innocence that we all like to believe we've got sussed.

I like straight forward films or books that I can get my teeth into ( no pun intended :lol: ) such as Twilight. Before I'd read Harry Potter I was guilty of ribbing older readers of that series, we're all as bad as each other. I have to add I dont take any offense to any mickey taking I get for liking Twilight, we all love different things for different reasons.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I can take good natured ribbing. It's when it crosses the line, like the f-word insult above (sorry, I hate that word, won't retypye it) that it gets to be too much. I don't put down others for liking ultraviolent graphic novels (which I find detestable and am barely able to refer to them as novels). I don't insult the intelligence of others who prefer what I might see as plotless drivel. Why should it bother anyone that I have found a series of novels that challenge me to open my thinking, and that bring me a little happiness? I think that's what I don't get about the hating and the haters. You don't like it? Fine, don't bloody read it. That simple. But, don't be surprised, either, when I can counter everyone of your arguments and insults because I actually read the books and have thoughtful and intentional opinions on them and the issues they raise.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I hate it when people diliberatly have a go at Twilight purely because you love it. That's what really gets me. I was talking to my friend today, and he asked me 'What would you like to do the most.' and I said 'Id love to be a vampire.' He then went into a long speech about how im a 'little girl.' I just sat there, took it and then said 'Well. Id like you to a) disprove the exsistance of vampires.' to which he said 'Well im not one.' My reply? 'Your blood probably doesnt taste good.'

It really does annoy me though, and deep down it hurts when they insult the fandom :( I tell them that unless you have read the books, their opionion is still invalid.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

Jazz Girl wrote:I can take good natured ribbing.....I don't insult the intelligence of others who prefer what I might see as plotless drivel. Why should it bother anyone that I have found a series of novels that challenge me to open my thinking, and that bring me a little happiness? I think that's what I don't get about the hating and the haters. You don't like it? Fine, don't bloody read it. That simple. But, don't be surprised, either, when I can counter everyone of your arguments and insults because I actually read the books and have thoughtful and intentional opinions on them and the issues they raise.
could not have put it better myself :D , i kind of get the feeling (just from the ribbing i get) that people don't think we have intellectual opinions on the issues and events that are raised in the books and that these people don't neccessarily take these things seriously obviously because they havent read them
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Recently, The Twilight Saga was added to the list of books receiving the most opposition by parents and other groups. It came in at # 5 overall. The utterly ridiculous part is that, among the reasons cited for the objections posed is the fact that the novels encourage sexual behavior in teens and promiscuity. :shock: *shakes head* :shock:

Seriously?

Wow, I must have purchased some seriously edited versions of these novels.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS