General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by December »

A request from your friendly neighbourhood mods....We really appreciate it if everyone tries to minimize the amount of text they quote, and avoid enormous nests of embedded quotations.

Just quote the lines you’re specifically replying to: it makes your point clearer, and it means a lot less scrolling for everyone else to get to your contribution. The boards are much easier to read when everyone takes the trouble to quote selectively!

If you're not sure how to do this, check out How To Quote Parts of a Post in the Newborn in Seattle forum. You'll find detailed instructions there.

Thanks!

“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Twilightnoob21
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilightnoob21 »

Since I am a boy and a lot of boys don't like twilight(I think) I usually keep it a secret from my friends who think twilight is dumb. But really I guess it doesn't matter what you like because that makes you different from others.(holy crap I think that was the smartest thing I ever said! :o lol)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
PetiteSageHibou
Settled in Forks

Post by PetiteSageHibou »

Yes, liking Twilight has become very unpopular at my school :(

People are too embarrassed to enjoy it anymore it, because they know that they'll be pidgeon-holed as more crazy fangirls who only care that the characters are hot. People don't generally want to be associated with that, so they turn themselves off the books :( It's such a shame, all for the sake of other people's opinions :(

I couldn't care less if people assume that's why I adore the series! It's a wonderful, idyllic story, shouldn't that be what counts? :)

ImageImageImage
mrsdrcullen57
Settled in Forks

Post by mrsdrcullen57 »

I have a bunch of friends who make fun of Twilight all the time, one of which is a master of debate, which makes it very difficult to ignore his rude, unacurate comments about the books or movies.
What really gets to me, though, is when my friends who I KNOW like the books or movies join in on the bantor. Evidently they aren't man enough to admit that they like something not everyone else does. And honestly, I don't care if they own up to it or not. But when they join in on the conversations of how stupid Twlight is, that really gets to me. It's a straight up lie...
Lioness Rampant
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Lioness Rampant »

Who are we kidding?
Those of us who read Twilight ARE crazy!!!
I personally read and enjoy the series and I like making fun out of it!
My "Twilight fan friends" and I poke fun at Twilight craze all the time, and frequently switch from serious discussion to deadly fan debates to goofy mockery... And we are proud of it!
Sure I have friends who tease me for ever reading the series and for liking and referencing it- and I join them! If we can't make light of things like that, there's something wrong!
My main beef is with people who actually down on people like us and haven't given the series its proper chance at least cracking the cover... That's purely pathetic...
Anyway, my point is that we CHOSE to be classified as crazy...And rightfully so! :D :D :D
ColormeBSG
Melody
Learning to Love Green

Post by Melody »

Lioness Rampant wrote:Who are we kidding?
Those of us who read Twilight ARE crazy!!!
I personally read and enjoy the series and I like making fun out of it!
My "Twilight fan friends" and I poke fun at Twilight craze all the time, and frequently switch from serious discussion to deadly fan debates to goofy mockery... And we are proud of it!
Sure I have friends who tease me for ever reading the series and for liking and referencing it- and I join them! If we can't make light of things like that, there's something wrong!
My main beef is with people who actually down on people like us and haven't given the series its proper chance at least cracking the cover... That's purely pathetic...
Anyway, my point is that we CHOSE to be classified as crazy...And rightfully so! :D :D :D
Rightfully so :mrgreen: :lol: totally agree!

Team Edward - because real men sparkle ;)
Trainee in "Emmetts Demolition Crew"
Jeannam2008
Settled in Forks

Post by Jeannam2008 »

People should never make fun of others because of their interest. I used to feel a little unsure about revealing my obsession with Twilight, but I eventually realized that I shouldn't hide who I really am or pretend to not like something because others either hate it or make fun of it. I'm a Twilight fan and proud of it!

Off Topic: I went to our towns annual Peach Festival yesterday and a guy hand crafted wooded signs with different quotes/sayings on them. I found tons of Twilight ones. Some said Team Edward, Team Jacob, or Team Switzerland. Others said "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" and other quotes from the books. Others were just sayings towards Twilight fandom and power to it. I would have bought one, but they were a little pricey. Figured some Twi-hards would appreciate this. I was like a little kid in a candy shop when I saw them :)

On Topic again: I recently found someone at my job that is just as obsessed with Twilight as I am, she has poster after poster of Jacob hanging in her cubicle. She's showed me that I shouldn't be ashamed of being a Twilight fan so I now proudly carry around the recent Twilight book that I'm reading and have a few posters of Edward hanging in my cubicle. And when people walk by that like Twilight as well they let me know. So we now have our own little Twi-group at work.
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

Jeannam2008 wrote:So we now have our own little Twi-group at work.
:o i have that too!! its SO good because before that i was the only person i knew who had read the books etc and was hardcore into it (although that was before the films came out so i guess it wasn't as big a public knowledge really as it is now) and i had no one to really discuss it with outside of forums and stuff, makes a working day that little bit better hey?! :lol:
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
wolf-girl0221
Settled in Forks

Post by wolf-girl0221 »

Most definatly! My NCO laughs and makes fun of me every time I bring one of the books in. Her usual comment is 'You're reading that again?!' and then it's followed by 'I haven't and won't read those!' I kindly smile at her and tell her that she has no idea what she's missing. In my head I'm screaming something like 'HEATHEN! How dare you speak ill of art!'. Then I have my old SGT from the DFAC I used to work in who tells me that he can't understand how you can read about sparkly vampires!' or that he 'thought i was better than to like something like that'.

My family doesn't have much to say about it because the ones I am close to are as obsessed as me. My mom and cousin went so far as to take a Jacob Burger King toy from one of her kids. I felt bad about that but when I got the little red thing and saw that Jacob's picture was on the front and that it growled when you pushed the button, I didn't feel so bad. Lol! I don't think my little cousin really cared either way. She's only three after all. Not yet old enough to appreciate the beauty of Jacob like I am. ^_^ Not a good excuse but I'm sticking to it.
I'll be waiting for you until yourheart stops beating. And maybe even after that.
Mignon
Settled in Forks

Post by Mignon »

I guess the closest thing I have experienced to being made fun of, or having a negative reaction to, my reading the books and watching the movies, comes from my granddaughter when she expresses her amusement at seeing me read them again. My husband has commented on the fact that I got my days and nights switched around when I started reading them because I would stay up all night, or so it seemed. He is being a good sport about it and has even gone so far as to make arrangements with a friend of his who lives in Australia to buy a set of the books with the white covers when they are released there so that he can have them shipped here as my Christmas present. Don’t think I am supposed to know about that, but I do.
I mentioned to one friend who is close to my age, although not quite a senior citizen, that I was reading the saga and got a surprised “you are?” from her. I didn’t see any value in pursuing the subject, there would be no persuading her to give the books a try. My husband has made the comment that the more I talk about Twilight the easier it will be for him to get the commitment papers signed.