General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Ambivalences

Post by VolturiGirl »

Or maybe Nessie will forgive him because she is his soulmate after all. Like mother, like daughter.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I'm sure she'll forgive him, but that doesn't mean she'll let him get away with things. She is likely to inherit a tendency to be considerate of everyone, since this is a trait both her parents possess, and, with the maturity she is so quickly gaining, will hopefully extend this to all people, and not just Jacob. What's more, Jacob is bound to respond positively to everything she requires, so he's not going to try and convince her to do something that she doesn't want to do.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Oh yes, I'm sure she'll forgive him. Given her genetic make up, not to mention the family she's raised in, forgiveness and compassion are sure to be very strong traits she'll carry. But, I think she may escape her mother's propensity for swallowing her irritation to keep the peace. I think that that was something Bella developed in her caretaking role with Renee. Mothers know that, when dealing with unruly children, you often have to swallow your irritation in order to teach the greater lesson. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. But, I think it also developed in a way that kept Bella from learning how to confront people who were her equals and call them out on their behavior. Ness, thankfully, will grow up being taken care of, rather than doing the taking care and I think that will allow her to learn those skills. Plus, as has been said, I'm pretty sure Jacob will actually pay attention to and take to heart being called out by Ness, where with everyone else, he just ignores them. Oh, it could be a sight to behold, Ms. Ness getting all fiery and feisty and Jacob just sitting there taking every bit of it because he has to... I'll admit, the idea makes me smile more and more every time I think about it.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

That's so true, and I too, was smiling by the time I read the end of your post! Ah, what a pleasant mental picture!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

In a way, I've always seen Ness as what SM wanted Bella's childhood to be like. Ness will want for nothing, especially not love. She will always be doted upon, not just by her two loving parents, but by a huge extended family. She will grow up witnessing a love between her parents that is other-worldly. She will have all of the emotional and physical security that Bella herself never truly had. I can imagine that she will have a special and very unique bond with each of her parents. She will grow up knowing that she is utterly unique, and yet also knowing that she has an absolute place in the world. She will know that she can do or become just about anything that she wants. If there was ever a reason I were to read Ness' story, it would be to see that come to fruition.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Even if Jacob starts to act up to Nessie, she could hold her own. I don't think she would be the kind of person to back down from an argument. She was raised around Rosalie and she has too much of her father in her (rolls eyes.)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think the only problem she might have is finding her place, as she is not vampire, human or werewolf. This is really the only argument in favour of her accepting Nahuel, as he is one of her kind - one of only five known in the world. I can see this being an issue for her, as she knows from the start that she's different from every member of her family, and that might lead to some serious soul searching as she grows older.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

The funny thing about everyone's comments here, which I completely agree with, is that no one expects Jacob to grow up and mature on his own. At the same time, how can Jacob grow up and learn respect if he is forced to by Nessie, if he actually has no choice?

This is one reason why I hate the imprinting scene (among many reasons). And I hate it because it hurts Jacob. I know that sounds bizarre coming from me, since I make it clear I detest him. But that was Jacob's big moment, and it isn't going to come around again, ever. He destroyed Bella's reunion with Nessie. There is not a second in Bella or Edward's life where they can actually revel in the joys of parenthood with their daughter as just a little girl whose future is bright but remains unknown. They already know exactly who she is paired up with, who she is getting married to and who she will be sharing a bed with. There wasn't anything Jacob could do about that at that point, the only thing he could have offered to them was a little respect.

And due to the finality of what happened, I really don't see any more stories coming from SM based on Nessie and Jacob. We already know what is going to happen. Sure, there may be some dustups between the two, but Jacob will always back down, and Nessie knows that. And because she knows that, she likely won't take him to task very often. Whenever she does take him to task, how will we ever know when Jacob is sincere in his apology for his actions? That is assuming also that Jacob apologizes several years after the fact, and only at the prompting of Nessie who forces him to do so.

Unfortunately, the imprinting scene reveals a Jacob of absolutely zero reflection and self-examination. Because of that, I have little interest in any additional story about him. The only story that might interest me is if he had to fight for Nessie, but SM's interviews and the nature of imprinting and the info from the Illustrated Guide all point to Nessie and Jacob being a foregone conclusion as a couple.

Now, throw in a plot twist where the imprinting connection is somehow magically broken between the two, and you've got something. Because I can only gain respect for Jacob if his shortcomings are something that he sees himself and not something that is forced upon him.

This is assuming that SM, if she ever does write in the TW world again, sees Jacob as someone who needs to grow up. The way the story is told, SM may very well think that Jacob is near perfect just as he is. There wouldn't necessarily be any confrontational scenes concerning Jacob's past. After all, Edward calls Jacob his brother and his son. It seems to me at that point that all is forgiven.

P.S. Just to make clear, I'm not looking forward to any stories involving Jacob because his journey ended in becoming a two-dimensional, boring character. SM said that Emmett had eventually become something of a stock character for her. That is what happened with Jacob, he was Emmettized, he has no depth, so he ultimately becomes as uninteresting as he is aggravating.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I don't know that I agree that Jacob cannot have any self development now that he has imprinted. Certainly, he is bound to please Nessie because of the nature of imprinting, but there may be other issues that come into play, issues in which she has no opinion or preference (issues with the pack, for example), which might lead to further development of his character apart from the imprinting that has taken place.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Jazz Girl wrote:Oh what I would not give to see that little scene. One day, Ness, in her normal state of curiosity, asks her daddy why it is he and Jacob are always so sarcastic with one another (as I have no doubt that, despite a cordiality existing between the two, their history, not to mention all the things I'm sure Edward will curse his gift having to witness in Jacob's thoughts once Ness becomes the beauty she is assured to be, will never allow them to be too close). Of course, Edward will tell his daughter the truth, sharing it with her through her gift in his perfect recall. Ness, seeing the whole story unfold, lays into Jacob something fierce for all the hurled insults, emotional blackmail, moral superiority and all-around immature jackassery Jacob made them (and us) endure before (and after) she came along. Huh, what do you know? Maybe Jacob gets his come-uppance after all. :D
You make me want to write that scene!!! :clap: