Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

so you wanted jacob to die? that's a little harsh, don't you think?

also, we all believed jacob when he said that. it wasn't until edward informed us he hadn't been about to kill himself that we realized he wasn't.

i don't know that i think bella's gullible...i just think she's a little naive. like, ok there's a great line in the kite runner about this: "the thing about people who mean everything they say is that they expect others to also mean everything that they say" or something to that effect. i think that relates to bella pretty well. although maybe not, since she's pretty good at lying.

i think that bella's just so spoiled that even though SHE lies, she doesn't expect others to. because when she does it, it's ok, but when others do, it's not.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

not really...
he put the thought in my head afterall so, haha

and by 'all' you mean yourself because i certainly knew he was bluffing :D . i would swear to that, i didn't think Jacob would go die personally but Edward did confirm it at the end but honestly i didn't think he would just go and kill himself. I knew that he wouldn't when he started saying "well you could ask me"

I think bella is just too gullible!! she doesn't think much about what others tell her, she gets ruled out by her emotions right away which i don't really blame her for. I can be like that sometimes.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Ah I'm not the only one who thinks she's gullible then. :)
holdingoutforjacob wrote:so you wanted jacob to die? that's a little harsh, don't you think?

i think that bella's just so spoiled that even though SHE lies, she doesn't expect others to. because when she does it, it's ok, but when others do, it's not.
Yes, Bella can be quite a hypocrite too. Both her and Edward actually.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Okay about Bella being gulible.

All of us are insicure about somting, the way we look, the way we act, and to the point of who we are. And if you say you aren't then maybe you aren't but most of us are.

And when you love someone with all your heart and you feel that you aren't good enough for the person you are with. Then trust me when that person says they don't want you anymore you are going to believe it. Trust me on that. Bella had a right to be hurt. Edward took her heart with him and the same time he left his heart. behind. Edward didn't feel good enough for Bella as well he felt like a monster. That is what makes this story good. Because we all can relate to both Bella and Edward.

And Bella is strong how many of us would go to italy to save the ones we loved. even though we knew there was a pretty good chance that we would not make it back home? How many of us would go to a ballet studio knowing that our death was waiting for us? I don't know if i could be that brave. That is far from being selfish. i believe but it is just my opinion.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
theseviolentdelights
Settled in Forks

bella's transformation

Post by theseviolentdelights »

it was really weird for me to finish breaking dawn & then go back to twilight - to hear bella's narration from a mortal point of view. it's weird but nice by comparison to hear her worrying about things like how embarrassing it is that edward can see her blush and hear her pulse, as compared to worrying that she'll eat charlie or crush edward.
it marked for me how instantly & dramatically bella matured, pretty much as soon as she got married, or i guess as soon as she realised she was pregnant. i like the distinction stephenie makes, but i think i like the cute, clumsy, dorky bella better - even though there's no way i would have been happy with the ending if she didn't become a vampire.
these violent delights have violent ends
and in their triumph die, like fire and powder
which as they kiss, consume.

shakespeare's romeo & juliet, act ii, scene vi
[/size]
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

KaseyHeartEdward wrote:Okay about Bella being gulible.

All of us are insicure about somting, the way we look, the way we act, and to the point of who we are. And if you say you aren't then maybe you aren't but most of us are.

And when you love someone with all your heart and you feel that you aren't good enough for the person you are with. Then trust me when that person says they don't want you anymore you are going to believe it. Trust me on that. Bella had a right to be hurt. Edward took her heart with him and the same time he left his heart. behind. Edward didn't feel good enough for Bella as well he felt like a monster. That is what makes this story good. Because we all can relate to both Bella and Edward.

And Bella is strong how many of us would go to italy to save the ones we loved. even though we knew there was a pretty good chance that we would not make it back home? How many of us would go to a ballet studio knowing that our death was waiting for us? I don't know if i could be that brave. That is far from being selfish. i believe but it is just my opinion.
That may have been the case for that particular incident, but it is not the only time that Bella has been gullible. She ran off to the ballet studio without a second thought and without at least consulting Alice and Jasper about it. With someone like James threatening her mother's life she should have at least questioned if he would fulfill his end of the bargain, but she trusts him immediately. Yes, she feared for her mother's life, however it is pointless to go run off to die for someone if it does nothing to help them.

Another example of her gullibility is in Eclipse when Jacob threatens to kill himself if she doesn't kiss him. Bella may have been in a stressful situation and she feared for Jacob's life and yet if she knew Jacob as well as she claims to then she should have found his statement suspicious. Even after he says he won't do it if she kisses him Bella still believes that Jacob would actually go kill himself. She has to be way too trusting if she honestly believed that he would do something like that if he was willing to completely scrap the idea for a kiss.

I myself don't think that Bella is strong (quite the opposite) and found her trip to the ballet studio to be based more on stupidity and giving in to her emotions than strength. I would consider it strength if she was afraid to go to meet James but overcame her fears and doubts in order to save her mother, but Bella never felt any of that. Volterra was similar to the ballet studio. With the newborns, Bella had both Edward and Jacob stay with her in the tent instead of helping their families in the fight just so she would feel better. To me that was her being selfish rather then put aside her fears and let Jacob and Edward help their families fight.

I don't expect you to agree with me since people view strength differently, it's just my opinion.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

I see Bella for what she is...a 17/18 year old girl. One of the hardest parts for me to swallow was in New Moon, after Edward left and she was so depressed...I just can't see an 18 year old girl have such a deep love for someone...I often found myself imagining them as older jsut because I think that is what fits better.

I really like Bella, and I see a lot of myself from when I was her age in the character, which is probably why I bonded to her. The akward, unsure feelings she had, her inability to realize that Edward DID love her...I can relate. But I do think that if she wanted to be all grown up and a vampire and what not, she needed to stop being that high school girl.

So yeah, I generally forgive all of Bella's charcter flaws because she is only 18...and I was a lot like that too.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
twilightmomtobe
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightmomtobe »

The ONLY thing that bothers me about Bella (I see myself a lot in her character - the clumsiness, the thinking you are "average looking", and all the rest...) is when she is "deciding" (but not really!) between Jacob and Edward. I think she always knew Edward was the one for her, and she led Jacob on. Heck, she led me on as a reader. Maybe that made for good suspense, but as a character, I don't find that amusing. I suppose it's realistic, because as women we sometimes do that (sorry, so sorry)...And it shows that she is only human...But it really bothered me!
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Auctorita wrote:
KaseyHeartEdward wrote:Okay about Bella being gulible.

That may have been the case for that particular incident, but it is not the only time that Bella has been gullible. She ran off to the ballet studio without a second thought and without at least consulting Alice and Jasper about it. With someone like James threatening her mother's life she should have at least questioned if he would fulfill his end of the bargain, but she trusts him immediately. Yes, she feared for her mother's life, however it is pointless to go run off to die for someone if it does nothing to help them.

Another example of her gullibility is in Eclipse when Jacob threatens to kill himself if she doesn't kiss him. Bella may have been in a stressful situation and she feared for Jacob's life and yet if she knew Jacob as well as she claims to then she should have found his statement suspicious. Even after he says he won't do it if she kisses him Bella still believes that Jacob would actually go kill himself. She has to be way too trusting if she honestly believed that he would do something like that if he was willing to completely scrap the idea for a kiss.

I myself don't think that Bella is strong (quite the opposite) and found her trip to the ballet studio to be based more on stupidity and giving in to her emotions than strength. I would consider it strength if she was afraid to go to meet James but overcame her fears and doubts in order to save her mother, but Bella never felt any of that. Volterra was similar to the ballet studio. With the newborns, Bella had both Edward and Jacob stay with her in the tent instead of helping their families in the fight just so she would feel better. To me that was her being selfish rather then put aside her fears and let Jacob and Edward help their families fight.

I don't expect you to agree with me since people view strength differently, it's just my opinion.

Sorry don't agree with you that much. but i do respect your opinion. And do understand where you might be coming from.

Hey look it might have not been the smartest move but seriously if you thought someone had your mom hostage. Would would take the time to say okay well lets think about this. And spend hours doing it. Heck i wouldn't if someone had someone i loved i would just go i would rather die then have my loved ones die.

And the Jacob thing there are times when humans just don't think clearly. heck i was beliving jacob for a second. until the kiss me crap. But honestyly when you are in a situation like that you are just going to react and may not hink things through it isn't a bad thing just means your normal.

And anyway you say all the things that happend are stupid and could be avoided. but it that happened there would be no story.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i wouldn't necessarily call bella gullible. at all. i would call her human and mortal.

i think bella always DOES try to do the right thing. and i think if someone is in danger, bella won't give herself a second thought in helping them. i think that makes her, in general, a selfless person, and i think that gives her the potential to be greatly selfless.

but she can be rather selfish and self centered when it comes to interactions and relationships with others.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...