Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by pubesy »

I would end it. I wouldn't make him chose, i would make the choice for him. I would make it clear why i was leaving, and how hurt i was, and HOPE HOPE HOPE that he loves me enough to end it with the other girl and come back and apologize.

sure it sounds like i am putting him on a bit of a guilt trip, but that way i am not forcing him to make a decision. if he really does have feelings for the girl he is free to explore them, but if he doesn't...
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Interesting answers! I agree, Amivera, it is hard to know what you would do if you're not actually in that situation. I'm engaged and have a really hard time picturing my fiancé ever putting me in a situation like that. But hypothetically speaking, I think I would ask him to end contact with her for the sake of our relationship. And if he couldn't, then I would end it.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
KaseyHeartEdward

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Malz i loved your post about Edward top 10 things (which was really 12) Smiles
It made me all warm and fuzzy inside!

Oh i really wanted to touch on one from your list
--when bella first came over to his house to meet the cullens
i am pretty sure this was big for Edward because Bella went to his family knowing what they were and wasn't afraid. So i know this was important to him.

And moon sidhe i am with Amivera on that question because i have no idea what i would do. it doesn't help that i have never been closse to having a relationship. But i hope that i would make the right desicion.

But this reminds me of one of my favorit quotes!!!
"There are no safe choices, only different ones" From Great and Terrible Beauty
This quote i take everywhere because it apply in all of our lives.
Last edited by KaseyHeartEdward on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Off-topic, but I have a few quotes from the Gemma Doyle trilogy that I carry with me everywhere!
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

moon sidhe wrote:Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what people would do if a) your boyfriend (i'm assuming most of us are heterosexual girls here, but feel free to change the genders as they apply to you ;) ) was close friends with another girl and b) you knew for a fact that he had feelings for this girl that ran deeper than friendship. What would you do in that situation?
well, i think it depends. first of all, i think i understand what you're trying to prove, and i don't think that what WE would do should reflect what should have happened with bella and edward at all. there was a severe time crunch their for bella to have SOME experiences outside of edward.

but to answer your question, i have actually been bella in this situation. i think the line needs to be drawn when that person's relationship with you is affected by the other relationship. by that i mean when "bella" would rather spend time with "jacob" then "edward", something needs to be done.

i think we have to consider that yes, they may be very good friends with that person, and the line between friendship and romance is unclear and blurred. i think we have to consider that they are entitled to their friendships just as we are entitled to ours. the case could obviously be made that bella allowed jake to hold her hand and hug her, but there are friendly hugs, and you can display any type of affection by holding hands.

i don't know if any of that made sense.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

It makes me wonder if Edward did not truly know Bella's heart. I mean he did know that Bella loved him more than Jacob because Bella told him that in the tent after she kissed Jacob, and Edward did recognize that there would always be something between Jacob & Bella because of what Edward did by leaving her in New Moon.

He said he could not be angry with something that he himself made possible. He would get her forgiveness but he could not undo what he(Edward) had done. Edward left her in pieces and Jacob stitched her up and those stitches do not desolve by themselves. In the end, Edward did finally know where he stood with Bella.

She knew she would always love Edward completely and always wanted to be with him and she could never love Jacob enough - he (Jacob) deserved better than that. I think with Bella, she was so frightened of losing Jacob as her 'safe harbor', 'personal sun' and best friend, that she made the wrong choice in letting him take their relationship farther (on his part anyway) than it should have - I think she may have underestimated his ability to be okay with just friendship only - (the guy is strong). He even stated that at the movie theater in New Moon, he knew she did not feel the same way, but stayed around anyway.

She just handled all of this rather stupidly and Edward & Jacob both got hurt. Three different hurts going on at one time - yuck!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
pubesy

Post by pubesy »

edward never knew bella's heart - not until they were wed.

but he did know the last time he left, bella fell to pieces. He would never just "up and leave" again.
I think she may have underestimated his ability to be okay with just friendship only - (the guy is strong). He even stated that at the movie theater in New Moon, he knew she did not feel the same way, but stayed around anyway.
No, I don't think Jacob underestimated Jacob's ability. Jacob has been attracted to bell since the first time they met at the beach with her school friends. He was so taken by her, that he spilled his tribes legends that were sworn to secrecy. He made it very clear to bella that he had feelings for her, (such as the cinema scene). When edward came back, and Bella made it clear that it would always be Edward who had her heart, Jacob did not back down and accept friendship alone. he kept fighting for something more.

So when BELLA realizes that SHE has feelings for jake, Bella decides she can no longer be friends with him. it is only THEN that jake says he can be friends only. (however bella is not dumb. she knows that feelings of love don't just fade into friendship, and that jake will keep pushing for more.)

you cant be friends only with a person that you love, and who loves you in return.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

i think she hurt edward the most - poor edward. he's too kind to let his happiness and what he wants interfere with bella's happiness. :cry:
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

malaz, she ended up with edward, so i'd say it was jacob that was hurt the most.

pubesy, fundamentally, you're right. but you're leaving out a few key things.

in twilight, when they talked first, jacob didn't know bella was into edward, and thought she was into him.

then in new moon, edward was gone, and never coming back. in jacob's mind, it was only a matter of time, which turned out to be right, before she would have ended up with him.

and then in eclipse, he was a man on a mission, he couldn't allow himself to just be friends with her.

you left out WHY he said just friends in Eclipse. you also said that bella went to "end it" which wasn't true. you need to reread that. as she's walking out the door she's reminding jake how he said they'd always be friends, and HE sorta rejected her and said long-distance only.

so really, we don't get to see his true capability to deal with this until BD.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
pubesy

Post by pubesy »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:in twilight, when they talked first, jacob didn't know bella was into edward, and thought she was into him.
I agree with you. I was merely stating that jacob had feelings for bella from the word go. (and bella knew this...because she felt guilty for leading him on)
then in new moon, edward was gone, and never coming back. in jacob's mind, it was only a matter of time, which turned out to be right, before she would have ended up with him.
I agree here too. And bella also knew, that jacob was biding his time, waiting for her to feel the same way.

Code: Select all

you left out WHY he said just friends in Eclipse. you also said that bella went to "end it" which wasn't true. you need to reread that. as she's walking out the door she's reminding jake how he said they'd always be friends, and HE sorta rejected her and said long-distance only. 
EC pp. 597.
"I'll be good. ... Ill be your friend bella. I wont ask for more than that."
"I think its too late for that jake. How can we be friends, when we love each other like this?"
It is only AFTER bella says that they cant be friends, that jacob suggests a long distance friendship.

I was reading that chapter WHILE writing that post.