Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by Amivera »

moon sidhe wrote: I agree that the very first meeting in the biology lab, bloodlust clouded out pretty much everything else. After he came back from Denali, and tried to interact with Bella during the mitosis slide lab, I think he began to be drawn to her in a different way.
Yes, I agree, then not only was he attracted to her blood, but also her lack of open mind.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Amivera wrote: Yes, I agree, then not only was he attracted to her blood, but also her lack of open mind.
Hmm, I definitely think that was part of it, but I think he felt a deeper connection to her that went beyond curiosity about her mind, even if he couldn't articulate it yet. I think this connection is what lead him to save her from Tyler's van. If I recall, he saved her from the van the day after biology lab.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Amivera wrote: The timings in the book weren't very clear, but I do believe he was away for most of that time, and did not speak to her for the rest of it.
No, the book was quite clear. Edward saved Bella after he came back from Denali. Just before accident he was thinking of leaving again because the "bloodlust" was just as stong as before.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Kachiti wrote:
No, Edward was already having feelings for Bella but he didn't want acknowledge it or perhaps he just didn't realize. In MS, during the van accident, how he felt when Bella was near him and at the hospital, his feelings watching Carlisle examining her. Then there was Alice telling him that was and already falling for Bella, which he fought for over a month. But finally gave in when he saw her sleeping. So I disagree that it was lust since it took Edward over a month to accept his feelings for Bella.

And what were all these built up feelings based off of? He barely knew her. It was more of an infatuation than this "true love" that we're beaten over the head with. I still disagree with it was love and not lust when he was in her room. He finally accepts that he has feelings for her after spending the night watching her do nothing more than roll around in her sleep and mumble his name without her knowledge. If this was the turning point for Edward than I don't see how this was based on love as opposed to lust or even blood lust as Amivera pointed out.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Auctorita wrote: And what were all these built up feelings based off of?
Who knows what those feelings were based off of? I get that it seems illogical, that he should just fall for her lickety split. But love isn't always something based on logic or reason. I might venture that it's hardly ever based on logic or reason. How else to explain my fiancé knowing he would marry me after our first date, which was a blind date I might add. I can't explain why I felt that immediate connection to him either on our first meeting. I just did...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^You're right. We can't know what it's based off of, and relationships aren't always logical, but a huge case can be made for lust, not love.

Edward decided he loved Bella after doing nothing but watching her all night and listen to her say his name in her sleep. Bella is always going on about Edward's looks rather than his mind, or his sense of humor. This has more to do with the writing: SMeyer really could have taken out another mention of 'liquid topaz eyes' and 'pale, inhuman beauty' and tossed in a line about Edward's *brain*.

Bella and Edward sleep together after the first date— literally. I know she's a teenage girl, but there's a big point made about her asking if they can have sex, even though they've had less than ten conversations until that point (most of which went "What's your favorite color?" "Brown." "That's a nice color") and it was their first date— I just found that a little bit... meh.

All the times we read about them together, they're talking about their love and their future sex and kissing. Yes, couples kiss all the time, we all like getting physical, but I always wonder what *else* they talk about, other than their forbidden love. It must get boring to repeat the conversation over and over: "I want to be immortal. Kill me, please." "I'd rather kill myself than hurt you or take away your virtue." "Edward, please, I'm beginning to get frustrated. I want to die." "Bella, my love, I could never do that to you. Now let me quiet you with a kiss."

:lol: Sorry, I love writing fanfictions. I get a bit carried away sometimes.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

I fist need to say Pubesy and Pel you both rock i loved your posts from eailier!

Also the rest of you made amazing points i loved reading the last Few pages!

Amivera wrote:^You're right. We can't know what it's based off of, and relationships aren't always logical, but a huge case can be made for lust, not love.

Edward decided he loved Bella after doing nothing but watching her all night and listen to her say his name in her sleep. Bella is always going on about Edward's looks rather than his mind, or his sense of humor. This has more to do with the writing: SMeyer really could have taken out another mention of 'liquid topaz eyes' and 'pale, inhuman beauty' and tossed in a line about Edward's *brain*.

Bella and Edward sleep together after the first date— literally. I know she's a teenage girl, but there's a big point made about her asking if they can have sex, even though they've had less than ten conversations until that point (most of which went "What's your favorite color?" "Brown." "That's a nice color") and it was their first date— I just found that a little bit... meh.

All the times we read about them together, they're talking about their love and their future sex and kissing. Yes, couples kiss all the time, we all like getting physical, but I always wonder what *else* they talk about, other than their forbidden love. It must get boring to repeat the conversation over and over: "I want to be immortal. Kill me, please." "I'd rather kill myself than hurt you or take away your virtue." "Edward, please, I'm beginning to get frustrated. I want to die." "Bella, my love, I could never do that to you. Now let me quiet you with a kiss."

:lol: Sorry, I love writing fanfictions. I get a bit carried away sometimes.
Lol i loved your little i guess fanfiction thing. It was cute. lol

During the time they were asking questions, they were not all about oh what is your favorite color and what not. They were also about her home life and why she liked Arizonia? I mean through those kind of questions you can learn a good amount from someone. Like how they describe things and about how they answer them? Like how Bella Described Arizonia was lovely and different . And when one thinks of arizonia they see as it dry! (Ive been there and saw the beauty Bella saw!) But i mean Edward knew what he was doing when he was asking those questions. Plus i mean to have all of their conversations in the book would be wow. I would love it but it would be like a 1000 pg book.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Amivera wrote:^You're right. We can't know what it's based off of, and relationships aren't always logical, but a huge case can be made for lust, not love.
While you might see it that way, the book infer and says love not lust.
Amivera wrote:Bella and Edward sleep together after the first date— literally.
Actually Bella slept and Edward just held her until she fell asleep.
Amivera wrote:What's your favorite color?" "Brown." "That's a nice color") and it was their first date— I just found that a little bit... meh.

Isn't that how you get to know person, by asking questions.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Although certainly the beginning of any new relationship will involve a good bit of lust, it always seemed clear to me that they really cared for one another, beyond the possibility of a good lay. Even to state it that way seems silly to me. :)

I thought it was really sweet that Edward stayed with Bella that night after their first date. They just couldn't stand to be apart from one another. I didn't really see that as an act of lust, they just wanted to be together.
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

moon sidhe wrote:Although certainly the beginning of any new relationship will involve a good bit of lust, it always seemed clear to me that they really cared for one another, beyond the possibility of a good lay. Even to state it that way seems silly to me. :)

I thought it was really sweet that Edward stayed with Bella that night after their first date. They just couldn't stand to be apart from one another. I didn't really see that as an act of lust, they just wanted to be together.

Agree i thought that night was sweet. About how Edward just wanted to be with her. To hold her and Just be with her. This kind of guy is hard to find. This is one of the reasons that I love Edward's chracter so much.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter