Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

oh, well, i can easily understand edward's intentions, i can easily understand every character's intentions, even victoria's. what i can't do is tell myself that they were ok. i can see that edward was only trying to protect bella, i get that, but i don't see why he thought he had any right to go as far as he did. he didn't. and nothing anyone can say will make me think it's ok that he did that, that he had any right to do it, or that it was right in any way. i can justify most of his other actions, but this one....

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
y3nd0
Who Needs Spell Check When You Have Me?

Post by y3nd0 »

edwardisapedophile wrote:edward cullen lost it to bella.http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/pos ... cb2f2fa5b1#

LOSER.http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/pos ... cb2f2fa5b1#
i mean there's got to be something wrong with his Vulgar Language Is Ugly or something if he waits 100 + years to bang a girl.

i wonder how much action his hand gets.
a day?

i mean seriously you guys.

i hate edward, he's a bossy, pmsing pedophile.

bella totally deserves him.
http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/pos ... cb2f2fa5b1#
OK. Wow. I know we're supposed to except others' opinions, but I think you took it WAY too far. It's OK to hate Edward, but don't go insulting him like that. Don't start making sexual references. We're supposed to keep it at most PG-13.

So what if he waited 100+ years? Edward is classy. He isn't the type of guy to throw around his love and *ahem*, other services.
And what exactly makes him a pedophile? If I'm correct, Bella is in the same age group as Edward.

Please take your Edward BASHING somewhere else. It is not welcome here.
HOORAH FOR DODOBIRDS!
BDxLover
Settled in Forks

Post by BDxLover »

y3nd0 wrote:
edwardisapedophile wrote:edward cullen lost it to bella.http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/pos ... cb2f2fa5b1#

LOSER.http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/pos ... cb2f2fa5b1#
i mean there's got to be something wrong with his Vulgar Language Is Ugly or something if he waits 100 + years to bang a girl.

i wonder how much action his hand gets.
a day?

i mean seriously you guys.

i hate edward, he's a bossy, pmsing pedophile.

bella totally deserves him.
http://www.twilightlexiconforum.com/pos ... cb2f2fa5b1#
OK. Wow. I know we're supposed to except others' opinions, but I think you took it WAY too far. It's OK to hate Edward, but don't go insulting him like that. Don't start making sexual references. We're supposed to keep it at most PG-13.

So what if he waited 100+ years? Edward is classy. He isn't the type of guy to throw around his love and *ahem*, other services.
And what exactly makes him a pedophile? If I'm correct, Bella is in the same age group as Edward.

Please take your Edward BASHING somewhere else. It is not welcome here.

seriously.
and age doesn't matter. especially if you never grow any older. it just makes you more MATURE. something 'edwardisapedophile' obviously isn't.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

girlies. that was a post made to start trouble, obviously. i find it best to just ignore them, there's nothing intelligent worth saying anyway.

silly people have to come ruin other's good fun.

Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Post by Pel »

The troll has been removed, IP banned. Thanks to those who PMed a mod. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Edward discussion. :D
lalaith913
Learning to Love Green

Post by lalaith913 »

^Nice.

I made this post on the OAL, and I think I'll post it here. It's a bit long, but it tells my interpretation of Edward (and kind of Jacob too) as complete as I can.

I am Team Edward, but because of some explanation I received a few weeks ago, I will admit, that I am becoming a bit of a Jacob lover as well. However, I will give my piece. Sorry it is long and tedious but I have been trying to formulate this whole "thing" for months now, and I can finally say that I've gotten about as close as I can hope to making sense of it. So, here goes.

People (myself included) love Edward for many reasons: the fact that he is a vampire and we are strongly biased towards vampires because they have always been categorized as beautiful; he's charming; he's an artist (not necessarily painting, but the fine arts); and the way he loves Bella. He does not want to live in a world without her, but he would do anything to keep her safe. Her well-being is his priority. Many of us want to be, well, wanted in the exclusive way that he wants her.

Edward is far from flawless. Oftentimes, we see him as the perfect man that SM created. He is not. He is tortured because deep down, he is still human. He has the same human needs/wants/urges. Sure, he's got all the vampiric ones thrown on top of it, but he wants what we want. So, for the idea that Edward is a tease when it comes to things like "over the hip," I have to disagree a little. Not that it's not mean- it is- but I think it is for a different reason. Edward wants to be with Bella in this way just as much as she does. And, like any teenager/person on the face of the planet, he gets into the moment. Oftentimes, by the time he catches himself, it's almost too late, and then he does. But he can't make Bella think that he wants it as much as her because then she would REALLY press it, and he's not really ready for that. So, he leads her to believe differently. That is what is wrong about him and what he does.

Also, one of the reasons we all fall so hard for Edward is because he was the first man in the book. It was the first time Bella was in love; obviously then, it is the one that effected her most. Edward was the first romance in the Twilight series, so he sticks in our minds. Jacob was the unlucky second. Believe me, if their order had been reversed, I bet a lot of the fanbase would be switched around. From the beginning of the series, you root for Bella and Edward and when Jacob becomes and element- or a wedge, it seems- he gets made out to be the villain. It happens all the time. I hated Jacob throughout much of New Moon and Eclipse because of that. I "see the light" now, as it were, but I was severely biased towards Edward because in the words of Sheryl Crow (can't believe I'm sticking it in here) "the first cut is the deepest." The first time you are in love- the first time your heart breaks- is the one that sticks with you. Which is probably why I'm sticking by Edward.

But Jacob. You can't blame him for trying because in the end, he was right. Bella DOES love him. Sure, the way he went about it may not have been the best, but we all make mistakes. When Bella didn't want him to kiss her, he shouldn't have done so. THAT was wrong. But he needed to get her to realize that Edward wasn't the only one occupying her heart. I think I needed to realize it too, if you get what I mean. Edward IS the Eclipse. He blots out everything and when your eyes DO adjust, you realize that Jacob really meant well. Went about it wrong, but meant well.

Which leads me into Edward's biggest flaw- yes, flaw. And believe it or not, it is one of the reasons why he is loved. He wants Bella to be happy more than anything. YAY, who wouldn't want their beloved to think that of them? Wrong. He was going good until he didn't fight for her. He pretty much resigned in the fight. "If you want me, I'm here. If not, I can't refute your decision." Unlike Jacob, he would never force her to realize how she truly felt. Maybe it's because he's too much of a gentleman? I think not. I think it's because he has normal, human nervousness about love but on a grand scale since he is, afterall, NOT human.

In relationships, do we not often wonder how we came to be with the person we are with? And we have to wonder, are they truly happy? Would they be happy elsewhere? We all wonder this. But he- he not only wonders- it torments him. He's so (for lack of a better word) obsessed with her that this fear pervades every thought that is concerned with her. She "is his life now" so everything about her concerns him.

And that's not even getting into the whole he wants to drain her thing. His inherant instincts are to kill her. He knows, she knows that she is very lucky to be alive. She has some danger of that line when it comes to Jacob too, but Edward is more specifically targeted towards her because she is la tua cantante. Bella is breakable; they both know this. Given that, Jacob is the safer choice for her. Safer, but not safe.

To sum up, I guess, Edward is the first love. And you always remember your first love. But Jacob- you will always remember him because he was the one that showed you what else you're missing.
Banner and avatars HERE. Just credit me! Takes requests or at least attempts them.
Alice House/Team Edward
Dirt Flavored Muffin
Settled in Forks

Post by Dirt Flavored Muffin »

I think the main reason people fall for Edward is because when you read, you automatically put yourself in Bella's shoes. It's so easy to become Bella (for me, anyway) and share her emotions and thoughts about Edward. There's also the fact that Edward loves so. . .passionately that you just want to be with him. Every person's dream is to be unconditionally loved. Edward is capable of doing so.
To love and be loved unconditionally; Isn't that everyone's dream?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

lalaith, that was beautiful. i may not agree with some of the things about jacob, but the way that you described edward was spot on. really beautiful.

the only thing i disagree with - although it's purely a matter of opinion - was that eclipse was edward. i think that one was jake most of all, to be honest. i felt like twilight was edward, new moon was bella, and eclipse was jake. but that's just me, again, it's all a matter of opinion on this one.

again, congratulations on a wonderful post.

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Lalaith913 - I was kind of agreeing a little bit with you at the beginning but then…
Ok, for me. I can never see myself being ‘in love’ with jake *shudders* there’s nothing appealing about him to me when put in the particular series of events he was put in (I like his personality). It would have been really weird if at the beginning Jacob being 15 or 14, wait-15 and 17 year old Bella were going out. That’s me though, I can never see myself if the story were turned around being inlove with Jacob other than Edward. If that were to happen, I would be Team Edward as much as anyone would like to say no. For me, it was never the fact that he was the first man. never. Hey, I am IN-LOVE with Emmett and Jasper as almost as with Edward, are they first men? Nope. So for me, I can’t see me being team Jacob. Like dead-on never if things were turned around. I am very very stubborn, hahaha...
Edward IS the Eclipse. He blots out everything and when your eyes DO adjust, you realize that Jacob really meant well. Went about it wrong, but meant well.

I always though that Edward is the eclipse too, AS IN so powerful and irrational but ^that’s another way of looking at it. And when my eyes did adjust I didn’t really see how trying to steal someone’s girlfriend meaning well and being extremely obnoxious in the process?
Which leads me into Edward's biggest flaw- yes, flaw. And believe it or not, it is one of the reasons why he is loved. He wants Bella to be happy more than anything. YAY, who wouldn't want their beloved to think that of them? Wrong. He was going good until he didn't fight for her. He pretty much resigned in the fight. "If you want me, I'm here. If not, I can't refute your decision." Unlike Jacob, he would never force her to realize how she truly felt. Maybe it's because he's too much of a gentleman? I think not. I think it's because he has normal, human nervousness about love but on a grand scale since he is, afterall, NOT human.

I do not know why you would say that as much as I appreciate your oponion, but Edward did fight and I am not trying to be rude or offensive but what was he supposed to do. Have sex with her and say there will be more of that if she chooses him - isn’t that what Jacob was kind of doing, ‘you could have children and a life‘…and don’t get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with what Jacob said but you know. and he also says "i bet he couldn't even kiss you like that" ughh...
Edward did fight, and I am more on his side than Jacobs. Jacobs ’fighting for bella’ were just…ugh. I don’t even want to go in that. But Edward did fight. They both didn't fight fairly but enough that Edward and Jacob were SUPER jealous of each other...ahahaha

and i just want to say, i really appreciate you writing ALL of that. must've took a ton of time, no? i just didn't agree with some of the stuff but it was beautifully worded and worth my time <33
lalaith913
Learning to Love Green

Post by lalaith913 »

Thank you for the compliments and the equally wonderful arguements.

Malaz, what you said about Jake was one of the biggest arguements I have against him. I still have it, and it still make me mad what he did in Eclipse. However, it is also one of the things I try to overlook in this case (though I probably shouldn't, lol). But I'm done, since this is turning into more of a Jacob thread post. :D
Banner and avatars HERE. Just credit me! Takes requests or at least attempts them.
Alice House/Team Edward