Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by moon sidhe »

malaz wrote: that IS so incredible moon sidhe. i am happy for you. he seem like an amazing guy! :D

Aww, thanks Malaz! I feel pretty lucky to have found it and I hope you find it as well. I think you will.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
BerAngelVamp
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by BerAngelVamp »

wow. ok, so about the whole abusive edward concept...i don't really think that anything about him was "abusive"...in that he would have purposefully hurt bella out of spite, hatred, jealousy or any other emotion...i think that rather he was a bit overprotective for a while...maybe it was justifiable, maybe not...i think he thinks his overprotectiveness was justified...he was under the impression that werewolves are volatile and dangerous, and did not want the very fragile love of his existence harmed by one...

think in these terms...say your true love (husband, boyfriend, whatever) did not want you going to a bar with a slightly bad reputation, even though you know it was perfectly safe for you to be there (maybe you know everyone that works there and they look after you)....would you call him abusive if he got mad that you snuck out to go, after he had made his feelings perfectly clear to you about the implied danger? probably not...you would just consider him overprotective. Edward never physically or emotionally hurt Bella to keep her from going....on the contrary, he was trying to make sure she did not get hurt....he did learn his lesson and Bella stood up for herself....something i'm proud she did.

i'm not saying that maybe it wasn't wrong of him, but i am saying i don't think it was abusive behavior....obviously, just my opinion. :)

as for the bruising after the sex episode (edward can give me bruises any day)....well, considering his immense strength, i'm sure it could have been worse....and he did not intentionally give her those bruises. he did not even want to risk it again, but bella is the one that wanted to continue, and that was her personal decision.

everyone has choices, i don't think any part of the book was meant to say that the choices the characters made were the right ones....you know what they say, different strokes for different folks! :D :roll:
~Amber
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

BerAngelVamp wrote: as for the bruising after the sex episode (edward can give me bruises any day)....well, considering his immense strength, i'm sure it could have been worse....and he did not intentionally give her those bruises. he did not even want to risk it again, but bella is the one that wanted to continue, and that was her personal decision.

everyone has choices, i don't think any part of the book was meant to say that the choices the characters made were the right ones....you know what they say, different strokes for different folks! :D :roll:
Well said! I agree with your post. :) There's a big difference between accidentally hurting someone and lashing out at someone in anger. I think it goes back to Pubesy's incisive post on the difference between danger and abuse. It was dangerous for them to be intimate. Bella knew this going into it and decided to go for it anyway. Pubesy brought up BDSM as a joke, but I think it's a useful analogy. Some people actually request to be hurt. I don't pretend to understand that mentality, but I think if it's something you make a conscious decision to participate in, that it does not constitute abuse. And seriously, in this case those bruises were an accident.

Also, as BerAngelVamp pointed out, just because an author depicts a character making certain choices does not mean that she necessarily condones them. Granted that distinction is lost on some people, but as I and others have said, we can't blame SM for that.
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by peacepicturelexi »

okay people who think that twilight is making every teen girl go crazy about finding "mr. perfect" your wrong! okay maybe some girls are, but most of us are not that retarded! we know that its just a story and there isnt really any guy in the world thats like edward! gosh. sorry im just mad that every adult on the lex is thinking us teens are going crazy!!! :x
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

moon sidhe wrote:
Amivera wrote: Both sides can definitely be supported, but I was extremely surprised when I read Midnight Sun and realized that Edward fell in love with Bella before he even knew her brain.
You may not know or understand all the intricacies of someone's personality on first meeting them, but there's still something intangible that you can sense about them. A connection maybe? It's described as an electric current in the book. They just seem to immediately sense this before they even know one another. And that's the romantic ideal, right? Two people are so right for each other that they just immediately know it. There's no logic or reason to it.

It does seem like a fantasy... but I must admit that I've experienced it myself. The total happy cliché. On my first date with my, now fiancé, there was something in the air. I don't even know how to describe it, but I can tell you that after our first date he went home and told his roommate that he just met the girl he was going to marry. He was right. :)
I wouldn't refer to Edward figuring out the best way to kill Bella as a connection, since that was their first meeting. Even when he was watching her sleep all she was doing was rolling around and calling his name, how can you feel an electric current from that? There was no real interaction between them there, nor were they making eye contact at least. I myself think that when he first watched her sleep that he had mistaken lust for love, he didn't know her at this point so he had little to base this deep "love" off of. Actual love did come, I just think it came later than this point in the story.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Auctorita wrote:
I wouldn't refer to Edward figuring out the best way to kill Bella as a connection, since that was their first meeting. Even when he was watching her sleep all she was doing was rolling around and calling his name, how can you feel an electric current from that? There was no real interaction between them there, nor were they making eye contact at least. I myself think that when he first watched her sleep that he had mistaken lust for love, he didn't know her at this point so he had little to base this deep "love" off of. Actual love did come, I just think it came later than this point in the story.
No, Edward was already having feelings for Bella but he didn't want acknowledge it or perhaps he just didn't realize. In MS, during the van accident, how he felt when Bella was near him and at the hospital, his feelings watching Carlisle examining her. Then there was Alice telling him that was and already falling for Bella, which he fought for over a month. But finally gave in when he saw her sleeping. So I disagree that it was lust since it took Edward over a month to accept his feelings for Bella.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Auctorita wrote: I wouldn't refer to Edward figuring out the best way to kill Bella as a connection, since that was their first meeting.
The point I was making is that they didn't require anything beyond just meeting one time. It doesn't require interaction. They felt it immediately, that intangible connection to one another. I suppose I might be disbelieving too and assume it was simply lust, if I hadn't experienced it myself.
Kachiti wrote:No, Edward was already having feelings for Bella but he didn't want acknowledge it or perhaps he just didn't realize.
I agree with this. Edward spends a lot of the first few chapters of MS puzzling over why in the world he can't leave her alone. He's drawn to her, and it's more than just the scent, and doesn't understand why. It's the same for Bella in the beginning of Twilight. It was their brief interaction in the biology lab when Edward reaches over to hand Bella a slide that both in Twilight and in MS they each mention feeling the current.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

BerAngelVamp wrote:wow. ok, so about the whole abusive edward concept...i don't really think that anything about him was "abusive"...in that he would have purposefully hurt bella out of spite, hatred, jealousy or any other emotion...i think that rather he was a bit overprotective for a while...maybe it was justifiable, maybe not...i think he thinks his overprotectiveness was justified...he was under the impression that werewolves are volatile and dangerous, and did not want the very fragile love of his existence harmed by one...

think in these terms...say your true love (husband, boyfriend, whatever) did not want you going to a bar with a slightly bad reputation, even though you know it was perfectly safe for you to be there (maybe you know everyone that works there and they look after you)....would you call him abusive if he got mad that you snuck out to go, after he had made his feelings perfectly clear to you about the implied danger? probably not...you would just consider him overprotective. Edward never physically or emotionally hurt Bella to keep her from going....on the contrary, he was trying to make sure she did not get hurt....he did learn his lesson and Bella stood up for herself....something i'm proud she did.

i'm not saying that maybe it wasn't wrong of him, but i am saying i don't think it was abusive behavior....obviously, just my opinion. :)

as for the bruising after the sex episode (edward can give me bruises any day)....well, considering his immense strength, i'm sure it could have been worse....and he did not intentionally give her those bruises. he did not even want to risk it again, but bella is the one that wanted to continue, and that was her personal decision.

i agree. edward had every right to be mad if bella went to see jacob. BUT that's not what happened. he didn't give her the choice. that's what i have a problem with. not the sentiment, the action.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Mostly bloodlust.
The times he mentioned her mind, he was talking about how it was blank. Edward (or SMeyer) really dramatize everything. I remember a great passage where he called Bella 'a martyr who did not want witnesses to her suffering', because she moved away of her own free will and (oh my) put up with the rain!
Then there was Alice telling him that was and already falling for Bella, which he fought for over a month. But finally gave in when he saw her sleeping. So I disagree that it was lust since it took Edward over a month to accept his feelings for Bella.
The timings in the book weren't very clear, but I do believe he was away for most of that time, and did not speak to her for the rest of it.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Amivera wrote:Mostly bloodlust.

The timings in the book weren't very clear, but I do believe he was away for most of that time, and did not speak to her for the rest of it.
I agree that the very first meeting in the biology lab, bloodlust clouded out pretty much everything else. After he came back from Denali, and tried to interact with Bella during the mitosis slide lab, I think he began to be drawn to her in a different way.