Edward Cullen

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Terracottakitten » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Tox wrote:Ugh, I hate Edward and wonder how anyone can like him? He's abusive, creepy, he f*cking SPARKLES and is supposedly "perfect"... Dumb Gary-Stu...

Why chose Edward over any guy (/girl for bisexuals :P)? I'd rather be with someone I can feel comfortable with, someone who WONT be able to kill me in an instant, isn't a selfish/self-loating (how does that even work?) shoot and someone who'd make decisions WITH you...


Oh, Tox, I TOTALLY agree with you! About the abusive statement... I was actually reading the book and had this 'How do you know when your boyfriend/girlfriend is being abusive' sheet (where it asks questions and you check them in if anything applies to your relationship) as a bookmark (I'm starting to volunteer at a dating abuse hotline, by the way... In case your wondering why I'd have that...). ANYWAY, I was reading and I checked off about... hmm... 5 out of 7 of the categories.... That's DEFINITELY not a healthy relationship (even the Sam/Emily relationship was bad).

I'm just wondering how long it is before I have to deal with someone asking if it's okay that they're boyfriend/girlfriend is hitting them, because you can't deny the LOVE, right? I mean, everyone likes Twilight, so the messages it sends out MUST be the right ones... right? Ugh, these books are NOT good for younger girls reading about relationships...
Terracottakitten
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Hey Tox,
It might help you to read the character discussion guidelines here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12

The forums are for in depth discussions with supported arguments. Granted it doesn't happen all the time, but we do try to support our views with fact. :)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby pubesy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Terracottakitten wrote:Oh, Tox, I TOTALLY agree with you! About the abusive statement... I was actually reading the book and had this 'How do you know when your boyfriend/girlfriend is being abusive' sheet ... ANYWAY, I was reading and I checked off about... hmm... 5 out of 7 of the categories.... That's DEFINITELY not a healthy relationship (even the Sam/Emily relationship was bad).

I'm just wondering how long it is before I have to deal with someone asking if it's okay that they're boyfriend/girlfriend is hitting them, because you can't deny the LOVE, right? I mean, everyone likes Twilight, so the messages it sends out MUST be the right ones... right? Ugh, these books are NOT good for younger girls reading about relationships...


While i DO agree, that this relationship was on the KNIFE EDGE of having the potential to be an abusive, unhealthy relationship for reasons mentioned on your checklist, you have to remember that EVEN IF EDWARD WAS the most loyal, UN-CONTROLLING, character, IT WOULD STILL BE AN UNHEALTHY RELATIONSHIP.

She is a human, He is a vampire. He could kill her with the slightest wrong move. Her blood "sings" to him. That was the draw of the books. How could something so unhealthy, ill fated and headed towards disaster be so wrong, but yet so right at the same time?

And then all the traits you checked off on your bookmark - Yes - edward could have been abusive and dangerous to bella - but - he refused to use these traits in an abusive manner - and turned these negatives into positive, protective things for bella. It showed how much he cared, respected, and loved Bella. (in a very Edward kind of way)

and give teen girls some credit! I am sure they know the difference between fact and fiction. I am sure every one know Mr Perfect does not exist in reality. No one would enter a dangerous relationship due to a book alone.
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
Image
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
User avatar
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:37 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Tox » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:36 pm

moon sidhe wrote:Hey Tox,
It might help you to read the character discussion guidelines here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12

The forums are for in depth discussions with supported arguments. Granted it doesn't happen all the time, but we do try to support our views with fact. :)


Alright, since I have nothing else to do *clears throat*

Edward is a character that doesn't change thourough the series, making him flat. When he wants something, he gets it even if this means taking a risk and putting lifes in stakes, making him selfish. He also knows Bella shouldn't be with him, but still takes her out. Of course, she have a choice but even if she makes the wrong one, he don't care enough to stop. When he finally love her with all of his heart he leaves her, and I seriosuly wonder why firstly when they were involved so deeply so that this would hurt him. He is stupid because he thinks that's what's best for her.

He controls her every move, taking out her engine and having his sisters kidnap her so that she can't visit her friend since he thinks Jacob is dangerous, when he wants to kill her all the time anyway. Then he "lets" her visit him when he realizes that she isn't THAT stupid and can make choices herself, but she shouldn't need his permission which he seems to believe, making him abusive (mentally).

In Twilight he watches her every move, and watches her sleep. This makes him "stalky" AKA he stalks her.

He sparkles in the sun. This makes him sparkle.

Any other argument I need to support, or is this offensive too?
Guess what? I have a free mind 8D
Tox
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Tox wrote:
Any other argument I need to support, or is this offensive too?



To be honest, it's more the antagonistic tone that I find to be a turn off. I don't mind if people can have calm discussions about their opinions. But when people start getting too adversarial I find that the discussions generally become personal, accusatory, and non-productive.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Tox » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:46 pm

moon sidhe wrote:
Tox wrote:
Any other argument I need to support, or is this offensive too?



To be honest, it's more the antagonistic tone that I find to be a turn off. I don't mind if people can have calm discussions about their opinions. But when people start getting too adversarial I find that the discussions generally become personal, accusatory, and non-productive.


I see your point, but let me tell you that was never my intention. I am talking freely to all; well this might be directed to you but only since you asked :P

Btw, any other advice you can give me on how to behave in this forum?
Guess what? I have a free mind 8D
Tox
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby peacepicturelexi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Tox wrote:
pubesy wrote:honey, I think you are in he wrong forum!


Why? Is this the kind of thread where you only say what you like about a character, or one where you can tell what you think about the character and discuss him/her?

true true. but how is he selfish when bella wants to be around him too?
Image
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
User avatar
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: in the woods, walking mindlessly:)

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby peacepicturelexi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:52 pm

pubesy wrote:
Terracottakitten wrote:Oh, Tox, I TOTALLY agree with you! About the abusive statement... I was actually reading the book and had this 'How do you know when your boyfriend/girlfriend is being abusive' sheet ... ANYWAY, I was reading and I checked off about... hmm... 5 out of 7 of the categories.... That's DEFINITELY not a healthy relationship (even the Sam/Emily relationship was bad).

I'm just wondering how long it is before I have to deal with someone asking if it's okay that they're boyfriend/girlfriend is hitting them, because you can't deny the LOVE, right? I mean, everyone likes Twilight, so the messages it sends out MUST be the right ones... right? Ugh, these books are NOT good for younger girls reading about relationships...


While i DO agree, that this relationship was on the KNIFE EDGE of having the potential to be an abusive, unhealthy relationship for reasons mentioned on your checklist, you have to remember that EVEN IF EDWARD WAS the most loyal, UN-CONTROLLING, character, IT WOULD STILL BE AN UNHEALTHY RELATIONSHIP.

She is a human, He is a vampire. He could kill her with the slightest wrong move. Her blood "sings" to him. That was the draw of the books. How could something so unhealthy, ill fated and headed towards disaster be so wrong, but yet so right at the same time?

And then all the traits you checked off on your bookmark - Yes - edward could have been abusive and dangerous to bella - but - he refused to use these traits in an abusive manner - and turned these negatives into positive, protective things for bella. It showed how much he cared, respected, and loved Bella. (in a very Edward kind of way)

and give teen girls some credit! I am sure they know the difference between fact and fiction. I am sure every one know Mr Perfect does not exist in reality. No one would enter a dangerous relationship due to a book alone.

okay im 16 and i dont find him creepy or stockerish, but im not saying i want a boyfriend thats thatobsessive
Image
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
User avatar
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: in the woods, walking mindlessly:)

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Tox » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 pm

peacepicturelexi wrote:
Tox wrote:
pubesy wrote:honey, I think you are in he wrong forum!


Why? Is this the kind of thread where you only say what you like about a character, or one where you can tell what you think about the character and discuss him/her?

true true. but how is he selfish when bella wants to be around him too?


... read my other posts
Guess what? I have a free mind 8D
Tox
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby peacepicturelexi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Tox wrote:
peacepicturelexi wrote:
Tox wrote:
pubesy wrote:honey, I think you are in he wrong forum!


Why? Is this the kind of thread where you only say what you like about a character, or one where you can tell what you think about the character and discuss him/her?

true true. but how is he selfish when bella wants to be around him too?


... read my other posts

if you found him creepish in "twilight" then why'd you still read the rest of the books? :mrgreen:
Image
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
User avatar
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: in the woods, walking mindlessly:)

PreviousNext

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests