Edward Cullen

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:04 pm

I guess my previous post about sums it up. I think the biggest thing to realize is that everyone reads the story differently. We bring our own opinions and experiences to the story as we read it, and interpret it accordingly. So most of the time, there's not a right or a wrong, it's just how you perceived it.

There are plenty of people who aren't into Edward, and the discussions around here would be much more boring without them. :)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby peacepicturelexi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 pm

moon sidhe wrote:I guess my previous post about sums it up. I think the biggest thing to realize is that everyone reads the story differently. We bring our own opinions and experiences to the story as we read it, and interpret it accordingly. So most of the time, there's not a right or a wrong, it's just how you perceived it.

There are plenty of people who aren't into Edward, and the discussions around here would be much more boring without them. :)

exactly :mrgreen:
Image
you can have edward and jacob. i want seth:)
User avatar
peacepicturelexi
Buying a Better Raincoat
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 pm
Location: in the woods, walking mindlessly:)

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Terracottakitten » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:25 pm

While i DO agree, that this relationship was on the KNIFE EDGE of having the potential to be an abusive, unhealthy relationship for reasons mentioned on your checklist, you have to remember that EVEN IF EDWARD WAS the most loyal, UN-CONTROLLING, character, IT WOULD STILL BE AN UNHEALTHY RELATIONSHIP.

She is a human, He is a vampire. He could kill her with the slightest wrong move. Her blood "sings" to him. That was the draw of the books. How could something so unhealthy, ill fated and headed towards disaster be so wrong, but yet so right at the same time?

And then all the traits you checked off on your bookmark - Yes - edward could have been abusive and dangerous to bella - but - he refused to use these traits in an abusive manner - and turned these negatives into positive, protective things for bella. It showed how much he cared, respected, and loved Bella. (in a very Edward kind of way)

and give teen girls some credit! I am sure they know the difference between fact and fiction. I am sure every one know Mr Perfect does not exist in reality. No one would enter a dangerous relationship due to a book alone.


Wait... "On the KNIFE EDGE of being abusive"? I think it went WAY passed that when Edward sat in a rocking chair IN HER ROOM ALL NIGHT LONG WATCHING HER before she even KNEW him! In.. uhh... Midnight Sun... Umm... That's just scary no matter what species you are! I'm sorry!

But you're right about the draw of their relationship, how you wonder if he'll kill her or makeout with her (I'd perfer the former personally, but hey, you can't have everything... Unless you're Bella). But for the 'Edward could be abusive, but instead protects her', I don't agree. If he wanted to protect her, he'd leave her alone entirely. But he's just so selfish that he can't... Well, they both are... It's pretty much a re-write of Wuthering Heights, how they're each so selfish that they completely destroy the people around them, but they can't realize it because, OH, THEY'RE IN LOOOOVE!!1one!!

Also, I'm not saying all teenage girls are taking these books seriously, but it is a factor in some of their decisions. I mean, if they see their parents acting badly towards one another, and then they also see it so many times in the media, in books, in television, then they might get the impression that this is how relationships are. I mean, if they think that there is no Mr. Right, even IN fantasy (because Edward is NOT him at ALL!), then some girls (or boys, even) might begin to think that there's no way in real life that anyone could be a kind partner anyway, so who really cares if they hit you a couple of times, they SAY they care, so at least you're lucky enough for that, right? So, it IS a fantasy book, and you say it doesn't really matter, but it CAN contribute to someone's perception of how things are supposed to be in real life...
Terracottakitten
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby BerAngelVamp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:24 pm

take the maturity, patience, respect, cool-headedness, appreciation, and (partial) experience of an older man, put it in an irresistably beautiful immortal body, and BAM! you have Edward....i think he is a wonderful "person"...i do wish the books went into more detail about him and his thought processes, but hopfully Midnight Sun will come out and enlighten us all....i suspect he is a much deeper character than we ever get to see in the Twilight sagas.
~Amber
User avatar
BerAngelVamp
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:51 am
Location: Grovetown Georgia

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Terracottakitten wrote:So, it IS a fantasy book, and you say it doesn't really matter, but it CAN contribute to someone's perception of how things are supposed to be in real life...


If someone on the younger side is reading it, hopefully their parents are involved enough to discuss some of the larger issues with them. Honestly though, I think most kids who are old enough to be reading this are old enough to determine what is appropriate for a real-life relationship and what isn't. If they can't determine that, then they probably would have been making more than a few bad decisions with or without reading Twilight.

As to whether or not Edward was abusive, I never saw him that way. But I also never really tried to translate their relationship into the real world. When he was watching her sleep, that never bothered me, at least as it applied to that situation in a novel. It's not as though he was a peeping tom who was trying to see her in her underwear, or wanted to harm her in any way. Edward was watching Bella sleep because he was drawn to and fascinated by her. He was trying to understand how he felt about her. I do understand why this bothers some people, but in the context of the novel, I didn't have a problem with it.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Amethyst1 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:33 pm

excuse me? i am 14 years old and thankyou very much I UNDERSTAND the distinction between what's fiction and what's reality Terracottakitten. i absolutly hate it when people pull out that card 'hopefully younger girls are able to understand that fact that edward is an absive, controlling, boyfriend and that they should learn to be wiser than bella and know where to set the line" - it isn't a fact. he isn't absive, nor he is controlling. sure, he was out of line in eclipse but come on!
geez...i mean, i'll admit. some girls are a little physco with twilight (no offense) but as OBESSED as i am with the books, and as MUCH as i love edward...i know better. i mean, really guys. what do you think teen girls brain's are? gullible neurons? really...

and i'd rather not reply to anything else... :D :D
welcome to the thread might I add.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby moon sidhe » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:37 pm

malaz wrote: what do you think teen girls brain's are? gullible neurons?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, sorry, that line seriously cracked me up. You're a trip, Malaz.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:21 pm

malaz, YOU may be the exception but the fact is that most young girls are highly susceptable to images and symbols such as edward, they are shaping their values and what they want ina relationship, and they get that from their environments, be it their parents, their friends, or their books. even the media. why do you think anorexia is around??

that's not to say EVERY young girl who reads twilight will do this. but it's safe to say that this is what girls at that stage DO. now, if you have a lot of other positive examples of how a relationship should work, then you'll be fine. the girls susceptable to falling into this trap are ones that have no other examples.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Terracottakitten » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:46 pm

moon sidhe wrote:
Terracottakitten wrote:So, it IS a fantasy book, and you say it doesn't really matter, but it CAN contribute to someone's perception of how things are supposed to be in real life...


If someone on the younger side is reading it, hopefully their parents are involved enough to discuss some of the larger issues with them. Honestly though, I think most kids who are old enough to be reading this are old enough to determine what is appropriate for a real-life relationship and what isn't. If they can't determine that, then they probably would have been making more than a few bad decisions with or without reading Twilight.

As to whether or not Edward was abusive, I never saw him that way. But I also never really tried to translate their relationship into the real world. When he was watching her sleep, that never bothered me, at least as it applied to that situation in a novel. It's not as though he was a peeping tom who was trying to see her in her underwear, or wanted to harm her in any way. Edward was watching Bella sleep because he was drawn to and fascinated by her. He was trying to understand how he felt about her. I do understand why this bothers some people, but in the context of the novel, I didn't have a problem with it.


Okay, so I don't know HOW many people I've heard say: "OMG, I LOVE Edward! He's so amazing, I TOTALLY wish he were real"... And I've even heard: "I wouldn't mind is Edward gave ME bruises [after reading the 'sex' scene, I'd suppose]", so I really don't think that everyone gets that he's not the greatest male protagonist... And translating it to the real world, Edward is the "bad boy", and Bella is... well... Me, and you, and anyone reading... And the only reason Bella (and me, and you, and anyone reading) is drawn to Edward is because he's mysterious and dangerous, which can be seen as extremely attractive in the "real world", so girls are definitely going to be out there looking for their mysterious Edward (a.k.a the "bad boy", except now "real world Edward" is doing drugs, sleeping around, etc...)

Another thing I'd like to bring up is that you said: ...that never bothered me, at least as it applied to that situation in a novel". Well, things in novels, t.v. shows, and the magazines DO have merit in real life. Take sex for example. All books, t.v. shows, etc are about sex now, putting a lot of pressure on people (both girls and boys) to experience it before they're ready (cause hey, if you're a guy and you're 18, and you haven't had sex, then WOAH, are YOU a loser!), and some shows (Gossip Girl, Smallville, etc... even Cosmo magazine's "How To Please Your Man in the Sack!') are pretty much sending out the message: "hey girls, you better give up your virginity or he's never going to fall for you!" Gah! I don't know HOW many girls at my school are pregnant now because Oops! They didn't know enough about sex, but hey, the t.v. said it was fun, so whatever! But what I'm tryin' to say is that there ARE messages being sent out (concious or not) that the majority of people follow, even if it is from a stupid fantasy book...

And come on, you're saying that it's okay that Edward snuck into Bella's room and watched her sleep because he didn't hurt her? That's like saying it's okay to stalk someone if you're just watching them. How else will they know that you like them, right? I just can't agree with that logic, sorry... And besides, in Midnight Sun he spent the first couple of chapters deciding how to kill Bella, anyway. I don't know, it could be just me, but that sounds kinda like he's going to 'harm' her...
Terracottakitten
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 am

Re: Edward Cullen

Postby Terracottakitten » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:malaz, YOU may be the exception but the fact is that most young girls are highly susceptable to images and symbols such as edward, they are shaping their values and what they want ina relationship, and they get that from their environments, be it their parents, their friends, or their books. even the media. why do you think anorexia is around??

that's not to say EVERY young girl who reads twilight will do this. but it's safe to say that this is what girls at that stage DO. now, if you have a lot of other positive examples of how a relationship should work, then you'll be fine. the girls susceptable to falling into this trap are ones that have no other examples.


THANK YOU holdingoutforjacob!!!!! FINALLY! Someone has seen the light! :D But really, that is what I was trying to say! Thanks for having my back
Terracottakitten
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest