Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
EandB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by EandB »

But Bella chose to be a Vampire and she had more facts .Jasper didn't.So there is the difference.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

EandB wrote:But Bella chose to be a Vampire and she had more facts .Jasper didn't.So there is the difference.
I knew there obviously would be, as she was prepared and everything, but it makes me feel sorry for him <3
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I wonder if Jasper ever manipulated--or could manipulate--his own emotional climate. For example, if he was feeling tense from thirst, could he calm himself?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Esme echo wrote:I wonder if Jasper ever manipulated--or could manipulate--his own emotional climate. For example, if he was feeling tense from thirst, could he calm himself?
EE~ Hmmm, an interesting idea. But, even assuming he could manipulate his own emotions, I don't think it would work on his thirst, which is a biological need vs an emotion. I see what you are saying about the feelings resulting from his thirst, but I don't think he was able to manipulate his own emotions. I think, certainly, he learned to control his own feelings quite well. But, it would kind of like asking if Edward ever read his own mind. It's not something that was conscious, in terms of actively managing or trying to do something. Plus, we see that he often gets overwhelmed by the emotions of those around him, or at least they take all his focus.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Jazz Girl wrote:
Esme echo wrote:I wonder if Jasper ever manipulated--or could manipulate--his own emotional climate. For example, if he was feeling tense from thirst, could he calm himself?
EE~ Hmmm, an interesting idea. But, even assuming he could manipulate his own emotions, I don't think it would work on his thirst, which is a biological need vs an emotion. I see what you are saying about the feelings resulting from his thirst, but I don't think he was able to manipulate his own emotions. I think, certainly, he learned to control his own feelings quite well. But, it would kind of like asking if Edward ever read his own mind. It's not something that was conscious, in terms of actively managing or trying to do something. Plus, we see that he often gets overwhelmed by the emotions of those around him, or at least they take all his focus.
That is a very good idea, but I had this discussion on another forum- where vampire talents could be used on themselves- and we came to conclusion that maybe they cannot. Because could Edward hear his own thoughts, could Jane hurt herself? But Bella can shield herself as well as others...maybe.

I think that seen as Jasper is influenced by other people's emotions himself that this could be plausible, but its not something ^^like you said that he actively does. Its not conciously, its like Edward's- he feels whether he wants too or not. Maybe this would mean that he could.

Also, do you think that Jasper was sub conciously drawn to Alice? I mean, she knew where to meet him maybe and all that, but was it something that he just felt? Even he said that it was unusual to be out during the day, around humans hungry. Was it something that he didn't feel, but sort of gravitated towards her. Also, when she held her hand out, and he took it- i think it was because he felt the trust, and the love. I mean, she was probably already in love with him at the point of finding him, because who knows what else she saw when she set out to find him?

As for Maria and the vampires with her- did she decide to turn Jasper because of his charisma? After all, it seemed that she killed most humans her and the others came across but she decided to spare him?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Just want to point out that asking "could Edward hear his own thoughts" is kinda silly. Everyone can hear their own thoughts. :) (And in Edward's particular case, he thinks so much...)

It would be rather difficult to pinpoint whether or not Jasper can actually manipulate his own emotions. In the above example, feeling tense due to being thirsty, even if he were able to contain that feeling- at some point the thirst (which, as Jazz Girl mentions, is more of a biological need) will become so great that the animal instinct takes over.

However, since he does live in a climate of shifting emotions, he can probably affect himself by affecting those around him. For example, spreading calm through a crowd will make him register that same feeling coming from the people- perhaps enough so that he will begin really feeling that calm in himself.

Also, I think the broader question (powers used on their users) really depends on the power. I see no point to say Jane inflicting pain on herself, nor in Aro's (forgive the phrase) touching himself to read his own memories- but Alice can see the outcome of her own decisions (power used on self).
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

ringswraith wrote:Just want to point out that asking "could Edward hear his own thoughts" is kinda silly. Everyone can hear their own thoughts. :) (And in Edward's particular case, he thinks so much...)
:lol: That's kind of why I picked that one as an example. Granted, Edward using his own power on himself would be akin to Jane or Aro, still looking at someone like Jasper, being conscious of using it on himself would be nigh on impossible. Unless it was as someone said earlier and he intentionally calmed a room in order to experience the calm himself. But, it seems to me that calming himself or exciting himself would be the same as you or I doing the same thing,
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Jazz Girl wrote:
ringswraith wrote:Just want to point out that asking "could Edward hear his own thoughts" is kinda silly. Everyone can hear their own thoughts. :) (And in Edward's particular case, he thinks so much...)
:lol: That's kind of why I picked that one as an example. Granted, Edward using his own power on himself would be akin to Jane or Aro, still looking at someone like Jasper, being conscious of using it on himself would be nigh on impossible. Unless it was as someone said earlier and he intentionally calmed a room in order to experience the calm himself. But, it seems to me that calming himself or exciting himself would be the same as you or I doing the same thing,
I think that really, only others moods affect him, its like when your around a depressed person- you feel depressed too.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I agree with Total Twilight Fan, and I agree with Ringswaith that Jasper might seek a more tranquil emotional climate for himself by adjusting the emotions of the people/vampires around him. As I think about Jasper and his thirst, the analogy that means the most to me is that of a headache which starts out as only mildly annoying, but progresses incrementally in intensity till it became a full-blown, blinding migrane--and blocks out (overwhelms) all but the most imperiative needs.

I'm also interested in your thoughts concerning why Jasper seemed "more central to the family picture than usual" (BD p. 749) at the end of Breaking Dawn. Bella had been a vampire for about three months, I think, then she noticed a change in Jasper after the battle with the Volturi didn't happen. Why do you suppose Jasper was suddenly more central to the family?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Hi guys!
I saw this and just had to come and ask you all some questions. I am in the middle of my second fanfic about Alice call Coalescence. The first was about Alice's search for Jasper and this one is about Jasper and Alice. I'm to the point where they are just now joining the family, and I would love your input on three questions:

1) Who do you think Jasper first bonded with in the family and who did he have the hardest time bonding with?

2) In Twilight, Carlisle says that Jasper hadn't been without humans as long as the others. I am taking that to mean that he wasn't a vegetarian until long after he joined the Cullens (I have made if very hard for him to be a veggie vamp so far). When do you think he stopped eating humans?

3) How do you think Jasper felt about Alice's bonding to the Cullens?

Thanks for your help!!
If you want to see the stories, Singularity is here and Coalescence is here. Both are rated T.