Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by moon sidhe »

malaz wrote:maybe the united states medical school system is different than Canada's. but, Doesn't Edward have to first complete four years of science which include basically a whole range of aspects of science (chemistry, bio, microbio..). Is this what Carlisle needs to be updated on? or is it something different...like, family physician updates?
In the US, you need to take Chem, biochem, organic chem, bio, physics and usually calculus in undergrad to be able to apply to med school. I suspect Carlisle would want updates on some of that stuff, but would ultimately really need updates on new knowledge in physiology and pathology which you would learn about much more in depth in the first couple years of med school.
malaz wrote:Also, why exactly does edward needs to update Carlisle. Aren't there programs specially made to update doctors and stuff?
There are. I don't know much about those though. They might assume a lot of knowledge already and/or not go super in-depth? And assuming Edward was interested in learning about it, it's a great way to gain new knowledge in one fell swoop rather than trying to participate in a handful of classes here and there.
malaz wrote:I am not sure, if there are any blood related labs in the first four years. i'll ask my brother (he's in his fourth year of uni. majoring in science aspiring to be a doctor...)
If by the first four years you mean the first four years of undergrad, I personally didn't have any. There are a few blood related labs in the first couple years of med school. But they're few and far between and it probably wouldn't be hard for him to skip them.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

yes undergrad uni
are you talking about grad school? haha, of coarse we were. since that's basically medical school.
so Carlisle waits a few years till edward gets to grad school to get filled in, hmm..
So edward also applys to medical school because he wants to too? awww, i love a man who enjoys science. man, i can't wait to get to uni. science science science...i love science if you couldn't tell.
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

malaz wrote: So edward also applys to medical school because he wants to too? awww, i love a man who enjoys science.
I don't know for sure, but Edward seems like the kind of guy who would be interested in going to med school for his own edification. I love a guy who enjoys science too. :D But I'm a dork like that. :geek:
Jazziscool
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jazziscool »

I was thinking that because Edward had A LOT of time, because you know Bella wasn't around (he he) that there is nothing else to do, so he would learn about smart stuff.(okay, :D ;) that doesn't really seem right "smart stuff").

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Supervisor of the DBJ:Donating Blood to Jasper & Co.
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

martina wrote:that would make an interesting book- Edward as a human
*side note* Uhgggggg! I wish I could read the rest of rising sun! It was just getting to my favorite part
I know it was getting to my favorite part in the meadow and it is Midnight Sun so yeah....
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
Jazziscool

Post by Jazziscool »

I'm sure that MS stopped right before the medow scene, because the script was given to the movie people so that Rob Pattinson could know what he should be acting. Of course, then someone went ahead and posted it online illegally :evil: , but any way at the medow scene, RP already knows how to act out his feelings because he practically says it out loud to Bella so there would be no need for SM to give them that part.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
pubesy

Post by pubesy »

Well, in the first couple years of med school you actually hardly ever encounter blood. The labs during the first couple years all involve preserved human specimens. Pretty much everything you see and touch has been fixed with formaldehyde. I don't think a cadaver soaked in formaldehyde would hold much appeal for Edward. Sorry for the morbid discussion!
lol.....and the smell reeks! and everything is this dirty yukky brown colour. eww. did you know some of the cadavers can be up to 8 years old? there is no possible way Edward could still smell blood.

edward could have easily done the first years of med....but then when it comes to the hospital internship..couldn't he had "worked" with carlisle? (and carlisle could have kept him away from the blood) then forged all the other internships he had to do...with j.Jenks amazing paperwork?
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

pubesy wrote: lol.....and the smell reeks! and everything is this dirty yukky brown colour. eww. did you know some of the cadavers can be up to 8 years old? there is no possible way Edward could still smell blood.
Yeah. That nasty formaldehyde smell permeates everything. Hair. Clothes. Everything. Blech.
pubesy wrote:edward could have easily done the first years of med....but then when it comes to the hospital internship..couldn't he had "worked" with carlisle? (and carlisle could have kept him away from the blood) then forged all the other internships he had to do...with j.Jenks amazing paperwork?
I can't really think of a med school that would have allowed that. Clerkship years are super regimented. You have a team--specific interns, residents and attendings-- you need to report to. Carlisle could only have supervised Edward during his surgery rotation, and even then presumably only for general surgery (I guess that's what Carlisle was?) and not for any of the other sub-rotations he would have done in surg like head and neck, cosmetic, cardiothoracic etc. Anyway, people in the hospital will know if you're there. I don't really see a way to get around that with forged paper work.
Jazziscool

Post by Jazziscool »

By the way, where did it ever say he went to Med school, I read in MS that Carlisle taught him.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

I forget if/where it says it in the books. But someone quoted this earlier in the thread from SM's personal correspondence.

Personal Correspondence 1:
Edward’s range is about fifteen to mid-twenties. He has been to medical school twice (helping Carlisle keep current), but he’s never tried to practice. He can’t handle blood the way Carlisle can.