Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by Amivera »

Personal Correspondence 1:
Edward’s range is about fifteen to mid-twenties. He has been to medical school twice (helping Carlisle keep current), but he’s never tried to practice. He can’t handle blood the way Carlisle can.
So, if he's trying to help Carlisle keep current, he must be in a very advanced medical field, and he probably needs to go into some sort of practice.

Also, I noticed that 'correspondence' is spelled wrong on the Personal "CorrespondAnce" page. Haha, that's completely off topic; I'm a grammar freak. XD

I always picture Edward blond (so Rob doesn't fit in there). I have absolutely no idea why... :? Heh.

ETA: You can find it PC1 here: http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?p=34
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Amivera wrote:
Personal Correspondence 1:
Edward’s range is about fifteen to mid-twenties. He has been to medical school twice (helping Carlisle keep current), but he’s never tried to practice. He can’t handle blood the way Carlisle can.
So, if he's trying to help Carlisle keep current, he must be in a very advanced medical field, and he probably needs to go into some sort of practice.
I really don't get that since I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he really can't handle the blood and guts part of medicine. :? Don't have the book on me now, otherwise I'd try to find where he mentions that. He had to skip out on the pin prick bio lab. There'd just be no way for him to make it through 3rd and 4th year med school. I think about the only medical field he could handle is psychiatry. And, uh... I'm not so sure I'd want Edward as my psychiatrist. :lol: Also, going through med school twice wouldn't prepare you for an advanced medical field. Only residency can do that. Med school only provides you with extremely basic and broad medical knowledge.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I admit to knowing nothing about the medical field so you can correct me if I'm wrong. This is just a theory. Wouldn't basic medical knowledge change enough in 100 years to allow for a quick trip through medical school to help Carlisle keep up with the times? Carlisle was already a practicing physician in the early 1900's. Maybe Edward went through school sometime in the 1950's and then again just recently...so every half century or so. Would that make a difference or not?
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i know it said that the "children" all go to school, sometimes for fun, sometimes to keep carlisle current. but yeah, it doesn't really make sense now that i think about it... what with the blood and stuff.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Oh yes, there have definitely be huge changes in cell bio and biochem and our most basic understanding of human disease over the last hundred years. Edward going through the first two years of med school would help out Carlisle quite a bit in those realms. However, the third and fourth year of med school are where you actually do rotations in the hospital through various specialties (internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, OB/Gyn etc) and that's where you gain the real hands-on experience and start learning some basic techniques. I don't think Edward would have been able to go through those parts of med school. After you finish med school you go to residency in your chosen medical specialty. Meredith in Grey's Anatomy for example is a surgical resident. That's where you learn the advanced techniques of your chosen field.
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^Then I suppose SMeyer didn't do her research thoroughly enough. :?
Yes, I was wondering about that, too. In any sort of medical school (even in highschool, actually) you need to do labs that involve blood. If Edward can't do the pinprick lab, how will he be able to stand going through medical school until the point where Carlisle's knowledge requires Edward's added knowledge?

ETA: That's an viable idea, Destani.
Are you in med school, Moon_Sidhe?
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Amivera wrote:^Then I suppose SMeyer didn't do her research thoroughly enough. :?
Yes, I was wondering about that, too. In any sort of medical school (even in highschool, actually) you need to do labs that involve blood. If Edward can't do the pinprick lab, how will he be able to stand going through medical school until the point where Carlisle's knowledge requires Edward's added knowledge?
Well, in the first couple years of med school you actually hardly ever encounter blood. The labs during the first couple years all involve preserved human specimens. Pretty much everything you see and touch has been fixed with formaldehyde. I don't think a cadaver soaked in formaldehyde would hold much appeal for Edward. Sorry for the morbid discussion!
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^Oh, okay. Would Carlisle require Edward to go further, though? To the parts where he actually needed to encounter fresh blood?

Morbid discussions are fine with me. XD We watched dissections of cadavers in Anatomy. Eek. >.>
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

maybe the united states medical school system is different than Canada's. but, Doesn't Edward have to first complete four years of science which include basically a whole range of aspects of science (chemistry, bio, microbio..). Is this what Carlisle needs to be updated on? or is it something different...like, family physician updates?
Also, why exactly does edward needs to update Carlisle. Aren't there programs specially made to update doctors and stuff?

I am not sure, if there are any blood related labs in the first four years. i'll ask my brother (he's in his fourth year of uni. majoring in science aspiring to be a doctor...)
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Well, if Carlisle really wanted knowledge of hands-on technique, sending Edward to med school would not be the way to do it. Destani definitely had a good point though, that the first couple years are a great way to refresh your book knowledge of medicine. Edward just really wouldn't be learning anything about surgical techniques.

You know, they do have a lot of scientific meetings and teaching sessions for older doctors to help keep them up-to-date with new techniques. Also, doctors actually have to get re-certified in their specialties every ten years or so. This way the medical board makes sure that they're familiar with new knowledge and techniques. Though maybe Carlisle would move on and assume a new identity before that ever became necessary. Anyway, I do think that there are a lot of means for him to refresh his technique-based knowledge.