Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: Alice Cullen

Post by Lightwish »

Wow thats a REALLY good question! The only answer is that Bella decided to take off really quickly and didnt take time to think it through until the last second. Maybe by the time she made her plan it was too late for Alice to stop her?

eclipserox wrote:Here's an Alice question. I know it's one of the questions in the chapter by chapter discussion, too. I'm not sure if it's ever been brought up here and I'm too lazy to look through all of the pages. In Twilight, when Alice and Jasper were with Bella in the hotel in AZ and then took her to the airport and Bella escaped to meet James in the ballet studio, what was Alice thinking? Bella started making her plan to get away after the phone call. She DECIDED to try to escape. Alice can see the future based on people's DECISIONS. In Eclipse, she was able to see Bella planning to go see Jacob while Edward was not there, allowing Edward to disable Bella's car and prevent her from enacting her plan. Why didn't Alice see Bella's plan to escape in the airport? Why didn't she stop Bella or stick to her side so that she would be able to protect Bella no matter what? Was Alice hoping that Bella would be changed that day, regardless of Edward's wishes?
I am a faithfull Twi-Guy!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

eclipserox wrote:Here's an Alice question. I know it's one of the questions in the chapter by chapter discussion, too. I'm not sure if it's ever been brought up here and I'm too lazy to look through all of the pages. In Twilight, when Alice and Jasper were with Bella in the hotel in AZ and then took her to the airport and Bella escaped to meet James in the ballet studio, what was Alice thinking? Bella started making her plan to get away after the phone call. She DECIDED to try to escape. Alice can see the future based on people's DECISIONS. In Eclipse, she was able to see Bella planning to go see Jacob while Edward was not there, allowing Edward to disable Bella's car and prevent her from enacting her plan. Why didn't Alice see Bella's plan to escape in the airport? Why didn't she stop Bella or stick to her side so that she would be able to protect Bella no matter what? Was Alice hoping that Bella would be changed that day, regardless of Edward's wishes?
EclipseRox an excellent question, but not one with an easy answer. In the novel, we first see that it takes Alice's visions a few minutes to catch up with Bella's decision to leave. But, once her visions do catch up, we can actually only assume what she sees because she just tells Bella that she sees the same room. I think it is safe to assume that she sees Bella dead in the ballet studio, maybe even Edward finding her there. :cry: But, for some reason, Alice never saw Bella's escape from the airport, or her trip to the studio. I always assumed that maybe something about Bella's emotional state, that she was so confused about how she would get away from Alice & Jasper, and maybe trying to make contingency plans, that it kept Alice's visions jumping around. In the end, I kind of agree with Bella's assumption. She only saw that they failed and Bella died. Alice couldn't find where things go wrong, and assumed that it was some mistake that they, she and Jasper, make, rather than a betrayal by Bella.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

shes amazing and a little sneaky
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

But Bella was glad that she knew the airport better than Alice and Jasper, and she knew she would use the bathroom with two entrances, so she planned everything ahead of time, didn't she?
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

who_needs_fangs? wrote:But Bella was glad that she knew the airport better than Alice and Jasper, and she knew she would use the bathroom with two entrances, so she planned everything ahead of time, didn't she?
Yeah, that's what I thought. And, she must have also planned on leaving to get food with Jasper and going to the bathroom so she could get away. She refused to eat before. She told Alice she wanted to go with Jasper because she knew Alice would follow her into the bathroom. Oh yeah, and she wrote a letter for Edward ahead of time. Alice saw her writing down a location in BD. She definitely should have seen Bella writing the letter and planning her escape. If she didn't, it would go against pretty much everything we know about her visions.

So that brings us back to the question-why didn't Alice stop Bella or insist on going with her? It's very out of character for her. The only thing I can think of is that Alice's vision showed Bella being changed in the ballet studio (she had venom in her and nearly was changed) and Alice wanted her to be changed regardless of Edward's wishes. We know earlier in the book she saw Bella becoming one of them and that is why she wanted to be good friends with her. We also know in the car after they 1st saw James, she said there was another option to running. I can only assume the option she was referring to was changing Bella so James couldn't hurt her. Maybe she really wanted Bella to be changed and so she ignored her visions and let Bella escape.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

eclipserox wrote:
who_needs_fangs? wrote:But Bella was glad that she knew the airport better than Alice and Jasper, and she knew she would use the bathroom with two entrances, so she planned everything ahead of time, didn't she?
Yeah, that's what I thought. And, she must have also planned on leaving to get food with Jasper and going to the bathroom so she could get away. She refused to eat before. She told Alice she wanted to go with Jasper because she knew Alice would follow her into the bathroom. Oh yeah, and she wrote a letter for Edward ahead of time. Alice saw her writing down a location in BD. She definitely should have seen Bella writing the letter and planning her escape. If she didn't, it would go against pretty much everything we know about her visions.

So that brings us back to the question-why didn't Alice stop Bella or insist on going with her? It's very out of character for her. The only thing I can think of is that Alice's vision showed Bella being changed in the ballet studio (she had venom in her and nearly was changed) and Alice wanted her to be changed regardless of Edward's wishes. We know earlier in the book she saw Bella becoming one of them and that is why she wanted to be good friends with her. We also know in the car after they 1st saw James, she said there was another option to running. I can only assume the option she was referring to was changing Bella so James couldn't hurt her. Maybe she really wanted Bella to be changed and so she ignored her visions and let Bella escape.
I think Bella made sure that she only made those decisions at a moments notice. I think she would not make her decisions concrete, if you will, until she actually decided to do something. I think that is one of the weak links in Alice's imperfect foresight. She seemed to keep her mind working in different directions until the very minute she decided to escape, write the letter, whatever. Just a thought.

I do not think she saw Bella being changed in the studio, but just attacked and possibly dying. But I see where you are getting that from her previous vision in MS when she saw Bella as a vampire and Bella & Alice as best friends. She was right on that one - later on.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

I concur...
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I kind of thought that Alice's visions were like flashes, she doesn't know the whole story behind what she sees.

She sees that Bella is going to be in danger and in the studio when Bella starts planning to ditch her and Jasper. The problem is that she can't see and would never guess that Bella goes there on her own. She thinks something else must lead Bella to James so she is on alert for some outside threat and isn't as focused on what Bella herself is doing. She is assuming that Bella wants to stay as safe as possible.

At least that is how a read that sequence...
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Yeah, but she could be not looking at Bella's destiny's at that moment. I think she was too much concentrated on the nomands. Because Alice had missed others events before. She definetely wasn't counting on Bella sneaking on some sort of suicide mission because of her mother. She didn't know Bella that well. So i believe the fact she saw Bella's escape after not so strange. Even Alice's powers has some sort of limit.
Lightwish
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Lightwish »

Anyone know how old Alice is?
I am a faithfull Twi-Guy!