Rosalie Hale

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by vampirenerd »

Oh I understand that he would've been more worried about Bella's life but the animosity between Rose and Jacob is almost tangible. Ok, maybe animosity is too strong a word, maybe dislike. Personally I find it amusing sometimes, like when Rose fixes him food and makes the bowl look like a dog bowl. When the two of them get in their petty arguments it makes me laugh.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I find Rosalie's behavior and attitude in Breaking Dawn as a whole and especially towards Jacob to be disgusting and mean-spirited in general. That's not amusing to me.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

He did it back to her, though.
And think about it. Here's this guy who's coming in trying to get Bella to get rid of the baby. And it's not like he's her brother, either, like Edward is. To her, he's a guy who shouldn't be sticking his nose in Bella's business, and is a threat to the baby. So I see why she did it. Not saying it was nice, but I can understand her perspective.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by vampirenerd »

I don't think of it as mean. Rosalie is a very strong willed person and she doesn't take crap from anyone. Jacob is, like you said debussygirl, sticking his nose where it doesn't belong (in Rose's opinion). I just find it amusing how after awhile there arguing and fighting becomes just like that of a real brother and sister. Just the annoying back and forth, nagging at each other.
cherrydarling1177
Settled in Forks

Post by cherrydarling1177 »

I know a lot of people really think that Rose didn't give a darn about Bella and/or her well being during Bella's pregnancy, but I really must disagree...I think she wanted a part of Renesmee's life, true, but I also think she and Bella developed a bond during Bella's pregnancy. I do love Rose though, so I may be somewhat biased. :D
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

debussygirl wrote:He did it back to her, though.
And think about it. Here's this guy who's coming in trying to get Bella to get rid of the baby. And it's not like he's her brother, either, like Edward is. To her, he's a guy who shouldn't be sticking his nose in Bella's business, and is a threat to the baby. So I see why she did it. Not saying it was nice, but I can understand her perspective.
He did it back after a LOT of provocation, and after she was incredibly nasty not only to him but to all the other Cullens. No one else was fighting back against her because they were all so concentrated on Bella. I"m not saying Jacob wasn't but since he was an outsider to the family, he COULD fight back to her because there was just that dynamic there, not anything between them as family. If you need proof of exactly how much she said before he said anything back to her, I will give it to you.

Bella wants him there. That should be enough for Rose. Besides, all the characters were dealing with a lot, and have dealt with a lot, and no one has ever been as mean-spirited completely unprovoked as Rosalie was from the very start.

Remember how stressed out Alice was when she came back to get Bella in New Moon?? And still, she managed to not take her stress out on Jacob, who was doing everything he could to stop them.

debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

She was being "incredibly nasty" to protect Bella and the baby. She was doing what she thought she had to do to keep that baby inside Bella long enough to grow, even if that meant snapping at her family and Jacob.

I agree with you about why Jacob fought back. I'm sorry if you thought I was condemning him, but I wasn't. I meant to merely point out that his banter made her banter back. Even if she started it, he kept it going. And like I said before, to Rose he was sticking his nose in what wasn't his business. To her, Bella chose Edward. She wanted to be a vampire. She let go of Jacob, and so Rosalie couldn't understand why he was so concerned about her--and not in the way that Rosalie was, and that was to deliver Bella's baby. Even if Bella wanted him there, Rosalie found him a threat to the baby. And she was right. Imagine if he hadn't imprinted on Renesmee...but that's another argument for another thread.

I think also that the only other person we saw Rosalie being really, truly mean-spirited to was Bella, and that was just during the first two books (and not even all of NM). Her vanity did partway make her hate Bella, but also the threat to her life and family from the knowledge Bella had. She didn't know her yet, she didn't know if she could trust her, and so she hated that Bella knew their secret. And then, of course, that Bella wanted to be a vampire when she could live human.

And Alice didn't "take her stress out on Jacob"? New Moon, page 421, hardback:
Jacob and Alice were locked in some kind of confrontation in front of the open door, standing so far apart you wouldn't assume at first that they were having a conversation. Neither one seemed to notice my noisy reappearance.
"You might control yourself on occasion, but these leeches you're taking her to--" Jacob was furiously accusing her.
"Yes. You're right dog." Alice was snarling, too. "The Volturi are the very essence of our kind--they're the reason your hair stands on end when you smell me. They are the substance of your nightmares, the dread behind your instincts. I'm not unaware of that."
"And you take her to them like a bottle of wine for a party!" he shouted.
"You think she'd be better off if I left her here alone, with Victoria stalking her?"
"We can handle the redhead."
"Then why is she still hunting?"
Jacob growled, and a shudder rippled through his torso.

Alice and Rosalie both attacked Jacob. In their own different ways, but for the same reason. Alice, so that Jacob would get out of the way and she could further the plans to save her brother. Rosalie was mean toward Jacob because he wanted her niece dead. Both bickered with Jacob for someone they loved. They did do it differently; Alice with more logic and Rosalie with more spite, but they did both do it.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Oops, you were right about New Moon.

Rosalie doesn't think she has to be nice. Period. To anyone. She was equally awful to Edward, and imagine what he must have been going through. She has proven time and time again that she is selfish and mean.

vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by vampirenerd »

I'm not going to disagree with you that she's mean or selfish. But the only people she is ever constantly mean to are Bella, in the beginning, and Jacob. It makes sense that's she's mean to Bella. Bella has everything that Rose has wanted. She's human, and she has the ability to get married, have children, the one thing Rose wanted more than anything. Rose was jealous of Bella, and usually when you're jealous of someone you take it out on them.

She was mean to Jacob first and foremost because of what he was. She didn't like him and she didn't understand why he was always around. And I agree with debussygirl that Rose thought of him as a threat to the baby. Even if she couldn't have a baby herself she wasn't going to let anything happen to Bella's. She didn't know he was going to imprint on Nessie and as far as she was concerned what would stop Jacob from taking out his anger about Edward and Bella on their baby (which he fully intended to do until he saw Nessie and imprinted on her).

So, I think jealousy and feeling threatened are two reasons to be mean to someone. It might not make it right but it definitely puts it in to better perspective.
debussygirl

Post by debussygirl »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Oops, you were right about New Moon.

Rosalie doesn't think she has to be nice. Period. To anyone. She was equally awful to Edward, and imagine what he must have been going through. She has proven time and time again that she is selfish and mean.
Rosalie is selfish and mean, I won't argue that point.
But putting it in Rosalie's perspective, I can see why she was mean. I think it's a pity that really the only time we saw her was when things weren't so great and she felt she had to be mean.
With Bella at first, it does show Rose's vanity, but it was also a tad bit deeper than that. If you've read MS, then you know what I'm talking about.
And she was mean to Edward, but in a protective way to the baby. She wasn't going at him like she was Jacob, it was more like, "Back off, Bella wants this baby" sorta thing. She definitely could have been nicer, but it was just the way that Rosalie saw how she had to approach the situation.