Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Emily Young

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Oh, I think he understands it. And pities her. But I don't think he really has any concept of "this is because of ME" and feels bad about that. I actually DO think Emily feels that, I think she does feel guilty. I think Sam is perfectly happy to pass all personal responsibility off on imprinting and how he didn't have a choice. Which is true, but still.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Oh, I think he understands it. And pities her. But I don't think he really has any concept of "this is because of ME" and feels bad about that. I actually DO think Emily feels that, I think she does feel guilty. I think Sam is perfectly happy to pass all personal responsibility off on imprinting and how he didn't have a choice. Which is true, but still.
Yeah that's essentially what I think Sam feels in regards to Leah's situation. I think is that concept he's lacking why he can never fully grasp Leah's situation. As for Emily, seeing as how they were best friends, she feels bad about all this, but I don't think it to a point it keeps her up at night. It seems like that she had to sacrifice one person from her life in order to let another one in. I wonder if it really felt like that for Emily. Do you think so too, or do you think that she might have thought that Leah would eventually come around?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

See, that's the sticking thorn in my side where Leah's concerned. We know basically NOTHING about Emily, and how the entire situation went down on her part. I can see her having been very upset and very torn up, but I can also see her diminishing it to make herself feel better. I'm so fond of Leah and I really do identify with her quite a bit that I tend to have a bias where she's concerned, so I really don't feel right forming an opinion without knowing more about Emily herself.

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:See, that's the sticking thorn in my side where Leah's concerned. We know basically NOTHING about Emily, and how the entire situation went down on her part. I can see her having been very upset and very torn up, but I can also see her diminishing it to make herself feel better. I'm so fond of Leah and I really do identify with her quite a bit that I tend to have a bias where she's concerned, so I really don't feel right forming an opinion without knowing more about Emily herself.
That's why I wished we could have found out more info about Emily. Because now I really can't read a fanfic about Sam and Emily happy together because part of me can't help but dislike them due to Leah's situation, so I feel that in a way they don't deserve their happiness. Plus I really can't figure out Emily's true mindset.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:See, that's the sticking thorn in my side where Leah's concerned. We know basically NOTHING about Emily, and how the entire situation went down on her part. I can see her having been very upset and very torn up, but I can also see her diminishing it to make herself feel better. I'm so fond of Leah and I really do identify with her quite a bit that I tend to have a bias where she's concerned, so I really don't feel right forming an opinion without knowing more about Emily herself.
Pendragon wrote:That's why I wished we could have found out more info about Emily. Because now I really can't read a fanfic about Sam and Emily happy together because part of me can't help but dislike them due to Leah's situation, so I feel that in a way they don't deserve their happiness. Plus I really can't figure out Emily's true mindset.
You both brought up some really good points. Because there is more written regarding Leah, people tend to identify more with her. And the fact that she didn't imprint also makes it easier to relate to her. But I don't like to assign such ugly motives to Emily. She was pretty much blindsided by the whole thing, just like Sam and Leah. And Leah loved her like a sister, I don't think Leah would care that much for someone if that someone wasn't worth it. I can't help but feel for Emily. I like Leah, and like most people, I can relate to many of her character traits (possibly even share some). But it's not like Emily didn't have to make sacrifices too. Perhaps we will see more of Emily's character revealed in the New Moon movie. I, too wish we knew more about Emily. Maybe I'll do my own fan fic about that...and I will keep Pendragon's opinions in mind if/when I do.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:
Pendragon wrote:That's why I wished we could have found out more info about Emily. Because now I really can't read a fanfic about Sam and Emily happy together because part of me can't help but dislike them due to Leah's situation, so I feel that in a way they don't deserve their happiness. Plus I really can't figure out Emily's true mindset.
You both brought up some really good points. Because there is more written regarding Leah, people tend to identify more with her. And the fact that she didn't imprint also makes it easier to relate to her. But I don't like to assign such ugly motives to Emily. She was pretty much blindsided by the whole thing, just like Sam and Leah. And Leah loved her like a sister, I don't think Leah would care that much for someone if that someone wasn't worth it. I can't help but feel for Emily. I like Leah, and like most people, I can relate to many of her character traits (possibly even share some). But it's not like Emily didn't have to make sacrifices too. Perhaps we will see more of Emily's character revealed in the New Moon movie. I, too wish we knew more about Emily. Maybe I'll do my own fan fic about that...and I will keep Pendragon's opinions in mind if/when I do.
I too hope that the movie will reveal some more about both Leah and Emily.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

See I don't. The movie's place is to follow the books, not add to them or correct them or do anything with the story but relay the information that SM has given us in a different medium.

Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:See I don't. The movie's place is to follow the books, not add to them or correct them or do anything with the story but relay the information that SM has given us in a different medium.
I can understand that view. But sometimes the movie is a way to explore characters in real life, have someone get into their skin and walk around. And SM may want to explore the characters in this way also, I'm sure she's involved with the making of the movies. One example of this being done successfully (IMO, of course) is Hannibal. The ending was radically different in the movie than it was from the book but more true to the characters. Thomas Harris himself said that and was involved in the making of the movie. There's that scene in the movie Twilight that SM envies, where Edward is watching Bella sleep and she wakes up and sees him. I'm not saying that I want NM the movie to be radically different, but I'm not averse to exploring characters more. Especially if it would enhance the telling of the story. And the dynamic between Emily, Sam and Leah is worth exploring IMO.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

If SM specifies to the movie making people what she wants it to be, then that's one thing. But what I'm worried about is them putting an angle in there all on their own, one that has nothing to do with the original story.

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:If SM specifies to the movie making people what she wants it to be, then that's one thing. But what I'm worried about is them putting an angle in there all on their own, one that has nothing to do with the original story.
Wow never thought of it like that. In a way that could be bad, and some of the characters could be shown in a way none of us saw.