Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by navarre »

Esme echo!! You're back!!!! Unless, of course, you been in different places on the Lex and I've just been blind.

Anyway, good to see your posts!!
Great question regarding Demetri's ability to catch Renesmee's 'mind flavor'. I would not doubt that he did pick up on her while Bella was introducing her to Aro.

Of course, we will never know unless SM decides to revisit this 'world' she's created.

Let's hope she does.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

Esme echo wrote:
eclipserox wrote:Yes, Bella and Edward could have run instead of risking their lives, but then Renesmee would grow up on the run and wouldn't be able to have a "normal" life (as normal as a half vampire child who grows really fast can have anyway). The Volturi had trackers and probably would have eventually found them anyways. I think Edward and Bella were, at least in their minds, doing what was best for Renesmee, even if it meant they would die.
Bella and Renesmee could have run and the Volturi could not have found them--unless they were betrayed (the Volturi trackers could not find Bella, and they didn't have Renesmee's . . . mind, I guess . . . to search for). However, I think that Bella and Edward were committed to either live or die together, so one of them running was not acceptable, and Demetri could definately have found Edward. Bella knew that Renesmee would be safe with Jake more than anyone else (the Volturi didn't know about the wolves, either), so their choice was to try to reason and if that didn't work, fight long enough to get Jake and Renesmee a safe distance away.

BUT--do you think Demetri got enough of Renemee's "mind flavor" to be able to track her in just the few minutes Aro was interacting with her? Would he be able to track Renesmee from then on? Were Edward and Bella betting on the chance that Jake would be able to elude Demetri? Or take him down?
Why couldn't Demetri track Bella? James was able to track her even though her mind was "private." I guess she didn't have the shielding power at that point. But, you track a scent, don't you? That's why Edward had Esme and Bella trade clothes to confuse Bella's scent. Can Bella shield her scent? I never thought she could. I could be wrong, though.

If I am wrong and they could not track Bella, they would never even have met Renesmee if Bella took Renesmee before they showed up, so you're right, that would have been the best way to protect Renesmee. I know in the past Bella would not have been willing to leave Edward, but I think at this point Renesmee was the most important person to her and she would have ran without Edward if she realized it might save Renesmee. However, she didn't realize the full potential of her shielding power until the fight with the Volturi. Perhaps it never occurred to her that she would be able to protect Renesmee on her own. As for your question of whether a few minutes with Renesmee would be enough for Demetri to track her-yes...James only saw Bella for a few minutes and was able to track her. I think Bella was planning on Jacob confusing Renesmee's scent. Remember in Eclipse if Bella was with a werewolf, it confused her scent. That's why they had her go up to the hiding spot with Jacob.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Esme echo wrote:BUT--do you think Demetri got enough of Renemee's "mind flavor" to be able to track her in just the few minutes Aro was interacting with her? Would he be able to track Renesmee from then on? Were Edward and Bella betting on the chance that Jake would be able to elude Demetri? Or take him down?
Esme Echo, a very interesting question. I could be completely off base. But, I always figured they were counting on taking Demetri out of the picture in the first place. From the very beginning, even before the battle, Edward intended to take out Demetri, for Alice's benefit. To allow her to stay out of the clutches of the Volturi. Once the battle starts, Bella understands just how crucial it is for him to take Demetri out of the picture, and reminds him accordingly. They had no intention of leaving Demetri alive if they could avoid it.

PS Hrtwilight, we'd love to have you on the speculations thread. It is in In the Twilight Zone. Join us, won't you? :D
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Good point, Jazz Girl, but taking Demetri out was a goal, not a done deal.

eclipserox, if you review the end of New Moon, pp. 531-532, Edward describes how Demetri's gift works and his conviction that it will not work on Bella. Also, somewhere in the third book of Breaking Dawn Bella muses about her determination to stay with Edward, whether or not it means they both will die. Sorry, I don't have time to look for the reference now.

James was a different kind of tracker than Demetri. At least, the impression I got was that James was good because he was smart and canny, not because he followed any sort of "mind flavor." James had a starting point, and he used his intelligence to run Bella down. If Bella and Renesmee were gone before the Volturi arrived, the only way Demetri would know how to look would be if Aro read someone's thoughts who knew where she was.

Hmm ... vampire mercenaries? Bounty-hunters?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Welcome back, Esme echo! :D

Mercenary vampires? I think it is possible the Volturi have people working outside the walls of Volterra. Maybe they have eyes and ears all around the world, following the bigger covens, making sure they keep their habits discreetly.

Because if they are mercenary, someone has to be paying for them with a propose, don't you agree?
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

I know this isn't Edward*swoon* related and I should've posted it in the Vampire Powers thread but still I need opinions... How do you think Maggie can trace lies? Does she get a feeling or notion? Or can she for that small period of time read the person's honesty? What's your thoughts?
navarre

Post by navarre »

Lunna-san wrote:Welcome back, Esme echo! :D

Mercenary vampires? I think it is possible the Volturi have people working outside the walls of Volterra. Maybe they have eyes and ears all around the world, following the bigger covens, making sure they keep their habits discreetly.

Because if they are mercenary, someone has to be paying for them with a propose, don't you agree?
Since there are human mercenaries, it stands to reason there could be vampire mercenaries/bounty hunters.

Why not? With all of the wealth the Volturi have accumulated over the millenium, they could very easily hire anyone to do a 'job' while keeping the saintly hats white. Don't you think?

Just a thought.
Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Cymbrelynn »

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt but random question that has always bugged me:

What is the general consensus on what color Edward's hair actually is? Is it the color seen in the Lex's head graphic? Or is it more like the reddish brown that Ive always pictured in my head?
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Cymbrelynn wrote:Hey guys, sorry to interrupt but random question that has always bugged me:

What is the general consensus on what color Edward's hair actually is? Is it the color seen in the Lex's head graphic? Or is it more like the reddish brown that Ive always pictured in my head?
It is reddish brown hair, bronze, copper colored. Your head picture is right.

Here it is:

http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?p=18

The guy in the graphic makes me think more of Jasper than in Edward. But it's just a representation. I never pictured Bella like that, anyway. "shrugs"

Navarre, I agree with you. If there is a coven that need this kind of service - and can pay for it - it's the Volturi, definetely. Because to punish someone, they have to be notified that someone broke the rules, don't you agree? I'm sure they pay other vampires to keep the eyes opened.
navarre

Post by navarre »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:I know this isn't Edward*swoon* related and I should've posted it in the Vampire Powers thread but still I need opinions... How do you think Maggie can trace lies? Does she get a feeling or notion? Or can she for that small period of time read the person's honesty? What's your thoughts?
I wondered about that while reading BD. If you remember, I think it was Charles of the Charles/McKenna couple that were one of the Volturi witnesses that had that ability too.

I suspect for Maggie that she could 'feel' when someone was lying. For instance maybe when she was a human, she was a 'good read' or better yet had sound judgement when it came to others and therefore this translated to a stronger gift in her vampire life.

Lunna-san, I agree. They have spies everywhere, I think.