Edward Cullen #3

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby Kachiti » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:21 pm

hrtwilight wrote:You bring up some good points and I like your perspective. However, here are my thoughts. Yes, after Edward hears Reneesme's thoughts for the first time he starts to call her a baby and starts to plan for the delivery. What I am saying though is that there is a moment when you first realize that you're going to be a parent that completely overwhelms you. Obviously he could not have this moment initially b/c of the circumstances and I realize that. However, it would have been nice to hear him as he accepted this and felt all of those feelings that one does when you realize that you're going to be a parent. I know that obviously his main concern is Bella's well being I just wondered if when Jacob was gone if they had that kind of a conversation. It would have been nice to see him experience that elated happiness that one goes through when they realize that they are bringing a new life into this world.
Secondly, I was not meaning that he should tell Bella that she was right so that she could say I told you so. Its just that he fought her so hard on the pregnancy (I completely understand why he did) that it would have been nice for him to say you know it was worth it, all of the pain all of the sacrifice it was worth it. And for him to acknowledge that her "Mother's intuition and instant protectiveness" were correct. I love Edward, please do not get me wrong but I feel (I know that I'm the minority) that she was right to have fought so hard for her baby and the fact that everything did work out the way she said it would is significant to me. I guess I just wanted him to admit that he was wrong, just to her, b/c they both went through so much pain (mentally and physically) during her pregnancy.
As far as his love for Reneesme goes, I am absolutely not doubting it and I most definately agree on your thoughts about the MP3 player. I just can't imagine a Father who is saying goodbye to his daughter of all people to not say I love you when he is saying goodbye. Bella was able to tell her quietly. I guess really when I think about it, in book 3 of BD I do not feel like I know Edward's feelings/thoughts as much as other books/times. I don't feel like I have a clear grasp on what his thoughts/feelings are during this time. I feel that the whole "Daddy Daughter bond" was lacking. Not that it wasn't there, maybe just that we didn't get to see it. Your point about the fact that he was willing for both he and Bella to die to fight for her is significant. But wasn't there no other way, it wasn't as if he Bella and Reneesme could have escaped, not with Dimitiri plus he would never leave the rest of his family to fight for him.


You had the same questions and feelings I did with BD. I never doubt for one minute Edward's love an devotion for Nessie but it would have been nice to have read it. That's why I felt that if BD had been two books, then perhaps more detail would have been given about Edward interaction with his daughter.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Somewhere between dreams and reality

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby navarre » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:02 pm

hrtwilight wrote:I don't know if this has already been discussed but when I re-read BD I felt myself wanting more of a reaction from Edward as far as the fact that he was going to be a father. I am specifically talking about after he heard Reneesme's thoughts and new that she loved Bella. Do you think he felt the joy/anxiety/nervousness/happiness of Wow I'm going to be a Father? Do you think that after Jacob left and went to the park that he and Bella had a conversation about the fact that they had created this baby together and that they were going to be parents? Also, it kind of bothered me that he never told Bella that she was right, that she was right to have fought so hard for Reneesme. Lastly, I also found it odd that at the end, when Bella tells Jacob to take Reneesme once the fighting starts that when Edward says goodbye to Reneesme he doesn't tell her that he loves her.
I know that's a lot of questions, however in my attempt to have a deeper understanding of Edward I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.


Yes, I think he felt all of that but maybe in varying degrees. Yes, it is possible that he & Bella discussed a lot of things. I believe they were both in so much awe over the fact that 1) he could hear her thoughts - period and 2) that this child was as developed mentally especially in the wound, as she was.

I always felt from that moment forward, Edward started to change in so many ways. I believe he felt amazed that he could create life - period.

Also, as far as his feelings were concerned, do you remember when Renesmee was showing Bella one of her memory thoughts and it was the one that had Edward holding Renesmee and 'crooning' a tune so perfect that Renesmee played it twice for Bella. He held his daughter while Bella was burning because Bella noted that she was in the background during this time of bonding, if you will, between Edward and his baby.

On the battlefield, Renesmee reached for her father and he grabbed her and held her tightly and kissed both cheeks and her forehead. He deeply loved his daughter, of that I have no doubt.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 pm

navarre wrote:
hrtwilight wrote:I don't know if this has already been discussed but when I re-read BD I felt myself wanting more of a reaction from Edward as far as the fact that he was going to be a father. I am specifically talking about after he heard Reneesme's thoughts and new that she loved Bella. Do you think he felt the joy/anxiety/nervousness/happiness of Wow I'm going to be a Father? Do you think that after Jacob left and went to the park that he and Bella had a conversation about the fact that they had created this baby together and that they were going to be parents? Also, it kind of bothered me that he never told Bella that she was right, that she was right to have fought so hard for Reneesme. Lastly, I also found it odd that at the end, when Bella tells Jacob to take Reneesme once the fighting starts that when Edward says goodbye to Reneesme he doesn't tell her that he loves her.
I know that's a lot of questions, however in my attempt to have a deeper understanding of Edward I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.


Yes, I think he felt all of that but maybe in varying degrees. Yes, it is possible that he & Bella discussed a lot of things. I believe they were both in so much awe over the fact that 1) he could hear her thoughts - period and 2) that this child was as developed mentally especially in the wound, as she was.

I always felt from that moment forward, Edward started to change in so many ways. I believe he felt amazed that he could create life - period.

Also, as far as his feelings were concerned, do you remember when Renesmee was showing Bella one of her memory thoughts and it was the one that had Edward holding Renesmee and 'crooning' a tune so perfect that Renesmee played it twice for Bella. He held his daughter while Bella was burning because Bella noted that she was in the background during this time of bonding, if you will, between Edward and his baby.

On the battlefield, Renesmee reached for her father and he grabbed her and held her tightly and kissed both cheeks and her forehead. He deeply loved his daughter, of that I have no doubt.


navarre, like always brilliantly put. I completly concur on the fact that Edward has a good relationship with his daughter and loves Renesmee just as much as Bella does. A father's love is always strong.
Image
User avatar
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
 
Posts: 5001
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:04 am
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby ariadnee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:35 pm

hrtwilight wrote:I guess really when I think about it, in book 3 of BD I do not feel like I know Edward's feelings/thoughts as much as other books/times. I don't feel like I have a clear grasp on what his thoughts/feelings are during this time. I feel that the whole "Daddy Daughter bond" was lacking. Not that it wasn't there, maybe just that we didn't get to see it.

hrtwilight, I agree with you entirely. I think you've just been able to articulate why I have such a hard time keeping interest in the second half of Breaking Dawn, even with all the cool text on vampire abilities. I think the first half is much better (the burning man section, for example, gives us a lot of insight into Edward, etc.)

Kachiti, you suggest that perhaps Breaking Dawn needed to have been two books to get all of the plot in, and still allow us the character insight that we love so much. I never understood your view before, but in light of hrtwilight's comments, I can see it now.

Having children of my own, I know that your life seems to accelerate when they come. You know that you should sit and hold them in your arms and marvel at the miracle of their existence, but more often than not, you're just happy to get to bed. Maybe SM is reflecting some of that rush onto the story. After all, with three of her own, she would know. And of course things are even more rushed with Nessie, even if her family doesn't have to sleep. It's the best I've got.

Thanks for listening. -Ariadnee
"None of us can choose where we will love." - Erik, from Susan Kay's Phantom

I've written an Edward POV fanfic for New Moon: http://login.fanfiction.net/story/story ... &chapter=1
ariadnee
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:09 am

i honestly think she just got tired. SM that is not Bella. I think she got flustered and tired and something had to give, and it was character insight.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby eclipserox » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:14 am

Thanks Lunna San and Jazz Girl! : )

hrtwilight wrote:You bring up some good points and I like your perspective. However, here are my thoughts. Yes, after Edward hears Reneesme's thoughts for the first time he starts to call her a baby and starts to plan for the delivery. What I am saying though is that there is a moment when you first realize that you're going to be a parent that completely overwhelms you. Obviously he could not have this moment initially b/c of the circumstances and I realize that. However, it would have been nice to hear him as he accepted this and felt all of those feelings that one does when you realize that you're going to be a parent. I know that obviously his main concern is Bella's well being I just wondered if when Jacob was gone if they had that kind of a conversation. It would have been nice to see him experience that elated happiness that one goes through when they realize that they are bringing a new life into this world.
Secondly, I was not meaning that he should tell Bella that she was right so that she could say I told you so. Its just that he fought her so hard on the pregnancy (I completely understand why he did) that it would have been nice for him to say you know it was worth it, all of the pain all of the sacrifice it was worth it. And for him to acknowledge that her "Mother's intuition and instant protectiveness" were correct. I love Edward, please do not get me wrong but I feel (I know that I'm the minority) that she was right to have fought so hard for her baby and the fact that everything did work out the way she said it would is significant to me. I guess I just wanted him to admit that he was wrong, just to her, b/c they both went through so much pain (mentally and physically) during her pregnancy.
As far as his love for Reneesme goes, I am absolutely not doubting it and I most definately agree on your thoughts about the MP3 player. I just can't imagine a Father who is saying goodbye to his daughter of all people to not say I love you when he is saying goodbye. Bella was able to tell her quietly. I guess really when I think about it, in book 3 of BD I do not feel like I know Edward's feelings/thoughts as much as other books/times. I don't feel like I have a clear grasp on what his thoughts/feelings are during this time. I feel that the whole "Daddy Daughter bond" was lacking. Not that it wasn't there, maybe just that we didn't get to see it. Your point about the fact that he was willing for both he and Bella to die to fight for her is significant. But wasn't there no other way, it wasn't as if he Bella and Reneesme could have escaped, not with Dimitiri plus he would never leave the rest of his family to fight for him.


Yes, I think Edward had that moment after he first heard Renesmee's thoughts and started to think of her as a baby instead of a monster. That was, for him, when he realized he was going to be a father. I guess Edward and Bella may have discussed his feelings when Jacob left. But, Bella was feeling awful and weak. She may not have been up for a serious discussion. And she knows Edward well enough that she was probably able to see the change in him and know he was finally looking forward to becoming a father.

I agree that Bella was right to fight for Renesmee. I still just don't think there was any need for Edward to tell her it was worth it. I think she knew how he felt, and could tell he thought it was worth it by the way he was with Renesmee.

I get what you're saying about Edward not saying he loves Renesmee when he says goodbye. I think, in addition to Renesmee knowing that Edward loved her and him showing it constantly, Edward had a tendency to show his feelings rather than say them in general. In Twilight, when Edward listened to Jessica's thoughts as she asked Bella about their "date" in Port Angeles, he couldn't believe that Bella really thought she had stronger feelings for him than he had for her. He just thought she would know he loved her based on his actions. He didn't see the need to say it. I guess he may have felt the same way about Renesmee-it wasn't necessary to say he loved her...she just knew. I know we saw less of Edward in the 3rd book. Yes, Bella and Edward could have run instead of risking their lives, but then Renesmee would grow up on the run and wouldn't be able to have a "normal" life (as normal as a half vampire child who grows really fast can have anyway). The Volturi had trackers and probably would have eventually found them anyways. I think Edward and Bella were, at least in their minds, doing what was best for Renesmee, even if it meant they would die.
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby navarre » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:01 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i honestly think she just got tired. SM that is not Bella. I think she got flustered and tired and something had to give, and it was character insight.


I would not doubt that one bit. After all the stress in finally bringing this saga to a close, she probably did feel just that - tired.

Also, eclipserox, great post!
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
User avatar
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Swimming in a sea of books, books and more books

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby hrtwilight » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks Kachiti and Araidnee, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who felt disconnected to Edward in the Third book of BD. :)

As far as him not saying goodbye to Reneesme, it doesn't bother me as much now since I have read everyone's perspectives. The fact that he does express himself by actions rather than words is true and I like the idea that when he was kissing Reneesme goodbye she was telling him how much she loved him and that he was doing the same but in his own way.

I still however think that it would have been great to see him experience all of the emotions that a man goes through when he realizes that he is going to have a child.
hrtwilight
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby hrtwilight » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:16 pm

I was reading through some of the old posts and I saw people talking about the Speculation Forum, where is that? I looked for it but couldn't find it. I would LOVE to read that.
hrtwilight
Settled in Forks
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Postby Esme echo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:18 pm

eclipserox wrote:Yes, Bella and Edward could have run instead of risking their lives, but then Renesmee would grow up on the run and wouldn't be able to have a "normal" life (as normal as a half vampire child who grows really fast can have anyway). The Volturi had trackers and probably would have eventually found them anyways. I think Edward and Bella were, at least in their minds, doing what was best for Renesmee, even if it meant they would die.

Bella and Renesmee could have run and the Volturi could not have found them--unless they were betrayed (the Volturi trackers could not find Bella, and they didn't have Renesmee's . . . mind, I guess . . . to search for). However, I think that Bella and Edward were committed to either live or die together, so one of them running was not acceptable, and Demetri could definately have found Edward. Bella knew that Renesmee would be safe with Jake more than anyone else (the Volturi didn't know about the wolves, either), so their choice was to try to reason and if that didn't work, fight long enough to get Jake and Renesmee a safe distance away.

BUT--do you think Demetri got enough of Renemee's "mind flavor" to be able to track her in just the few minutes Aro was interacting with her? Would he be able to track Renesmee from then on? Were Edward and Bella betting on the chance that Jake would be able to elude Demetri? Or take him down?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests