Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Le-Petit-Mort
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Tanya

Post by Le-Petit-Mort »

I really like Tanya in Breaking Dawn. She seemed more mature than I think people give her credit for. Most people think that she's this evil man-stealer. That's definitely not the case. :)
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

Le-Petit-Mort wrote:I really like Tanya in Breaking Dawn. She seemed more mature than I think people give her credit for. Most people think that she's this evil man-stealer. That's definitely not the case. :)

Agreed, she backed off Edward once she found out about Bella- and i really liked her grace at the wedding. Sure, she loved Edward, but she still had respect for Bella and she loved her as well because in essence, Bella was now part of her own family. Not only that but the fact that Edward openly allows Tanya to hug Bella and say hi to her definitely shows she was not thinking otherwise...*since Edward can read her thought, duh!*
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
alellie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by alellie »

Okay, before BD came out, I constantly read AU Human fics of the Cullens being in school and all and Edward being a playboy. Tanya, being the first to show a love interest towards Edward, was usually (doesn't mean 'always) made to appear in the fic as a self-centered, dumb, egocentric, and mean-spirited person that will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Including Edward.

Now, Bella appears in the story as a new student which almost every boy wants and all the 'popular preps' already hate (Tanya included with the preps). Tanya is shown as the cliched blonde that constantly twirls her hair and flirts with Edward despite the fact that he doesn't like her and has his eyes on Bella, who keeps on rejecting him (playing hard to get, I believe?).

In these fics, Tanya:
- was the leader of the 'mean girls'
- was the follower of the cheerleader captain (aka: mean, snobby, etc.) Usually the captain was either Lauren or Jessica
- was not even in the story at all
- was mentioned as Edward's old flame
- is the opposite of the above
- made a quick cameo as any other character

Okay, the example is done, and here is my question:

Are people that quick to judge? I mean, so what if she did show an interest at Edward? Does that make her mean? Does that make her seem like a 'female dog'? Does that make her the self-centered cliched blonde in today's media?

I guess that people was so accustomed with EdwardXBella that they thought any other intruding love affair with the couple was wrong.

I'm sorry but when people judge a person (even if fiction) before they could even see the character themselves, it just angers me a lot. I know people use Tanya in the stories for hype and drama, but seriously...

*sigh* sorry for this long rant. Forgive me for my incessant babbling.

-Janine
Vampirechick101/Alellie: PICAOS/ Zookeepers to Mr. Panda
bella fiori
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella fiori »

alellie wrote: Are people that quick to judge? I mean, so what if she did show an interest at Edward? Does that make her mean? Does that make her seem like a 'female dog'? Does that make her the self-centered cliched blonde in today's media?

I guess that people was so accustomed with EdwardXBella that they thought any other intruding love affair with the couple was wrong.

I'm sorry but when people judge a person (even if fiction) before they could even see the character themselves, it just angers me a lot. I know people use Tanya in the stories for hype and drama, but seriously...
Good points.

I think we can all agree that meeting Tanya in Breaking Dawn was a surprise, that we were expecting someone a bit more threatening or malicious. (We were led on by the "Ah, Edward. I've missed you" line too.)

But since she appeared so differently in person, what WAS her role? Not just to threaten Bella, because she felt infinitely more threatened by Rosalie, who was already bound to Emmett. Tanya was an unknown until BD. And now, after we know more about her, how does she fit in to the story?
Bkwrm
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bkwrm »

I was SO glad Tanya wasn't the villainess - it's about the only fanfic cliche SM avoided in this book.

But I'm not certain why so many readers thought she would be some sort of "bunny-boiler". All we knew about Tanya was that she is a beautiful (of course) vampire who was attracted to Edward. Well, most vampires are beautiful, and a lot of females find Edward attractive.
bella fiori
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella fiori »

Bkwrm wrote: But I'm not certain why so many readers thought she would be some sort of "bunny-boiler". All we knew about Tanya was that she is a beautiful (of course) vampire who was attracted to Edward. Well, most vampires are beautiful, and a lot of females find Edward attractive.
I think it was because Edward was so evasive when he talked to Bella about her. Edward protected Bella from a LOT of things like this, and it was easy to figure out that he didn't want Bella to feel threatened or jealous. If it wasn't because Edward had done anything ("Even when we first met Tanya's clan in Denali -- all those females! -- Edward never showed the slightest preference" (Rosalie, Eclipse, pg 164)), then the threat must exist because Tanya was aggressive.

Tanya's appearance in the Midnight Sun chapters is quite a bit more illuminating..."Bunny-boiler" is still a stretch, but not by much.
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by moon.cherry.twilite »

I think the Edward/Tanya thing was blown WAY out of proportion. Seriously, it was nothing more than what Edward said it was. Bella just worries too much. 8-)

I liked Tanya in Breaking Dawn. "I just want Caius". Lol. But still sad that now she's the only one who is alone among the Denalis.
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

I think she is mean. I didnt like how she acted toward Edward at the wedding. She knows bella is insecure and she fed on it. She was very fake at the wedding thats why edward had to pull himself away from her! she wouldnt let go! She only huged bella to make it look like she cared. She's jealous bc edward did like her and it was her catty way to show bella she's still close to edward and they they had a past relationship with her "Oh Edward. I've missed you.'' She may have made the right decision in the end, but I still think she was rude to bella
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by moon.cherry.twilite »

I got the impression that she was trying to be funny at the wedding. She's too nice and patient to want to make Bella feel insecure. I think she was trying to embarrass Edward, but not in a malicious ex-girlfriend type of way.
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

moon.cherry.twilite wrote:I got the impression that she was trying to be funny at the wedding. She's too nice and patient to want to make Bella feel insecure. I think she was trying to embarrass Edward, but not in a malicious ex-girlfriend type of way.
where exactly was she nice and patient??