Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Re: Aro

Post by Alcyone »

That comment would be better suited for the Marcus thread. But part of the answer is in Chelsea's power. She keeps him tied and loyal to the Volturi, albeit without any enthusiasm due to the pain of Didyme's passing.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

(I knew when I posted my comment that it was more about Marcus--but it was about Marcus in relation to Aro. Sometimes it's hard to continue a conversation, switching threads. :) )

So I wonder what keeps Chelsea loyal to Aro? Gratitude for "saving" her from destruction with her coven? Aro has always seemed to me to be the ultimate mob boss. So pleasant on the surface; so putrid inside.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

Esme echo wrote:(I knew when I posted my comment that it was more about Marcus--but it was about Marcus in relation to Aro. Sometimes it's hard to continue a conversation, switching threads. :) )

So I wonder what keeps Chelsea loyal to Aro? Gratitude for "saving" her from destruction with her coven? Aro has always seemed to me to be the ultimate mob boss. So pleasant on the surface; so putrid inside.
Ignoring Chelsea's powers, I think many would be loyal to Aro out of fear and their own greed. Excluding the Cullens, I think one would be afraid to say no to Aro- hence, most of the time, he gets what he wants. I don't think he would be so willing to let Chelsea go, so he would probably do everything in his power to keep such a valuable asset. Other than that, some may find it desirable to be a part of the most powerful Volturi whether they hold the actual power or not.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Chelsea's mate, Afton, is in the Volturi. I wonder if he keeps her there or the other way around...
Still, that discussion is probably best left to the Regnata and Chelsea thread ^^

I was just thinking of the wives the other night (ouch), and Aro and Caius's collective tendacies. Neither of the wives have a gift, and yet the obviously hold quite a bit of power. Apart from being locked in a tower, that is...

Sulpicia shares the same name as two famous poets from Ancient Rome. I wonder if Stephenie meant to imply that Sulpicia of the Volturi was the same person as one of the poets, or if she merely liked the name.

In wikipedia, it says in relation to the first Sulpicia:
They consist of six elegiac poems addressed to a lover called Cerinthus. Cerinthus was most likely a pseudonym, if not purely fictional; in the same style as Ovid's Corinna or Catullus' Lesbia.

Aro, perhaps?

What do you think?

Pay mind that I have no patience for time. I have no idea if the poet was alive 3000 years ago, or if she had already lived by then.
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

I have a love/hate thing for Aro. He's awesome and super cool, but he scares the crap out of me. I love the way he thinks; he's very insightful. Still, it freaks me out that he can know EVERY thought you've ever thunk (not a word, I know). He can be forgiving, especially when he's curious about something. I love that too, his curiosity. But his curiosity can get the better of him, when he really, really wants something, like Alice or Edward, to the point where it is truly frightening (wow, run-on sentence). His persistence is awesome/terrifying. It's, like, you wish you could be that determined and scare the hell out of everyone at the same time. Haha.

In conclusion, Aro is the coolest/scariest character in the Twilight Saga (except for maybe Dracula One and Dracula Two :lol:).
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
edwardISmine
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by edwardISmine »

Aro anyone???? come on anyone else see Aro when they look at this?? I know the book says he has flowing black hair, but this is total Aro for me!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/ILo ... ph_0-1.jpg
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

edwardISmine wrote:Aro anyone???? come on anyone else see Aro when they look at this?? I know the book says he has flowing black hair, but this is total Aro for me!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/ILo ... ph_0-1.jpg
dies...that picture. SCARED the hell out of me *deep breaths*
he seems Aro-y. except for the hair. ahhhhhh *screams* freakky freaky picture.
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

Tegan wrote:I was just thinking of the wives the other night (ouch), and Aro and Caius's collective tendacies. Neither of the wives have a gift, and yet the obviously hold quite a bit of power. Apart from being locked in a tower, that is...
How is it they hold quite a bit of power? They're basically adornments for Aro and Caius. They do not even receive the decency of being named in the novel; we needed an Index for that. No description except for the most superficial of views. Rather, it's like their sole purpose literary-wise was to showcase just how incredible it was that all the Volturi left Volterra. In another sense, it's almost like they're being protected because they're Aro and Caius' mates and neither would react very well to their deaths. Perhaps they won't reach a zombie-like state, but they'll definitely have some adverse effects if the two were killed.

We need a theory thread for the wives.
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

My intenet refuses to load my quite button, so...

@samajama: Scary is good! His curiousity is very compelling...

@edwardISmine: Aro would have only been in his twenties when he was changed, and even then, if an old human was changed into a vampire, I imagine that their skin would have been de-wrinkled due to the rock hardness of vampire skin. Also, Aro's features are described as being perfect, remember?

@Alycone: Yes, but they must be considered more important then the guard... Think back a few hundred years. If a woman married a king, she would be seen to hold a lot of power, even if she was merely someone to stand beside the king and look pretty (and entertain him ;)).
A theory thread for the wives would be good.
Alcyone

Post by Alcyone »

Tegan wrote:Aro would have only been in his twenties when he was changed
We don't know his age. And, considering the little information we have, he would probably be older than just twenties. Peg him as old twenties or thirties is more accurate. Taking Didyme into account, an older age would be more accurate. Siblings typically had large age gaps between them as few survived so the parents set about to have as many as possible.
@Alycone: Yes, but they must be considered more important then the guard...
Well, obviously. But that is because of who their mates are, not because of them. That's because of what would happen to their mates if they were killed. The Guard ignored Marcus who is probably higher up in the food chain just from his ability. The wives are decorations and decorations have no power. When Aro, Caius and Marcus performed their semblance of a conference, they weren't included. Even if Marcus was ignored, at least he was included. The wives don't even get that dignity.