Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Aro

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

This is the place to discuss Aro.

To discuss the Volturi as a group visit The Volturi Coven and Guard thread.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.
Banner by urcoolcarrie
vegasn8ive
Learning to Love Green

Re: Aro

Post by vegasn8ive »

I normally don't get too into character discussion but I have to say one thing about Aro:

If he said, "Peace," one more flipping time, I was going to go get my wand, fall into the book and slap him silly. :lol:
HazedInDeadlyPollen
Wandering Through Town
Location: somewhere in the many worlds of my brain...with Edward...

Post by HazedInDeadlyPollen »

I have to say that I absolutely love Aro.He is so eccentric and light and devious.He isn't the normal antagonist and I love him for it.Simply the way he speaks and his nature makes me want to hug him.He is simply lovable and some people will probably look at me weird for saying that,but its true.
if I'm not talking it means I'm lost inside my mind...
- nANCY ^_^
jovialweaver323
Settled in Forks

Post by jovialweaver323 »

Since his first appearance in New Moon, I've been intrigued by Aro's character. He's lived for so long and is very wise because of his years and yet he seems a bit childlike in his behavior and enthusiasm. He's the exact opposite of Marcus, and I'd say Caius is about between the two of them in this respect. Although he's embraced his nature as a vampire and kills humans, I've never really considered him to be a bad guy - that is until after BD.

The way he would kill covens every century or so just to add to his collection of talents was sickeningly cruel in my eyes. I never thought he would do something like that until I saw it written in BD. I've deemed him as just - before he executed his plan to get Alice. Of course, Edward's been saying negative things about Aro all along, but, coming from Mr. Pessimist, I never actually took much stock to Edward's precautions about Aro. Maybe I was clinging to some Carlisle-ian type of hope that there's good even in the Volturi, but I guess BD just proves me wrong.

Gotta say though: I still want to know more about Aro and the rest of his people. :D
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

BD is the first time that we get a close look at a more insidious facet of his personality. Aro's facade is one of the funniest and most perfect I've seen. One immediately assumes he has this grandfatherly charm and underestimates him. However, he is easily the most conniving and sadistic of the Volturi. And, of course, absolutely cold-blooded. One cannot calmly plot the destruction of another when wearing their hearts on their sleeves. Aro, however, mimics this innocent, harmless figure while his thoughts race a mile a minute focusing on what is most beneficial for him and his brothers. He is fascinating, the most complex of the antagonists.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
cidluen
Wandering Through Town

Post by cidluen »

Alcyone wrote:BD is the first time that we get a close look at a more insidious facet of his personality. Aro's facade is one of the funniest and most perfect I've seen. One immediately assumes he has this grandfatherly charm and underestimates him. However, he is easily the most conniving and sadistic of the Volturi. And, of course, absolutely cold-blooded. One cannot calmly plot the destruction of another when wearing their hearts on their sleeves. Aro, however, mimics this innocent, harmless figure while his thoughts race a mile a minute focusing on what is most beneficial for him and his brothers. He is fascinating, the most complex of the antagonists.
Alcyone, I truly agree with you about Aro's charming politician façade. It happens that I know of a real life Aro, he's a politician and perhaps some of you have heard of his silly statements, it's the president of Venezuela Hugo Chávez. The first time I read BD the similarities freaked me out: they both can be charming with their intended audience, know how to be showy and then you realize they never mean anything they say about the greater good, it's all about their own interests. That was the first time I said Steph was a great character maker: she created a real politician in Aro, that is a remarkable gift.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

He gives a nice welcoming greeting, and acts that way, but I have always wandered what he is thinking. Hemay be nice and polite on the outside, but inside, who knows what could be going on. So when he is with the Cullens, he always threatens them in some way, but still seems nice about it. Especially about Bella being changed. A chapter, or book, in his POV, would be amazing. A very interesting character. With obviously an interesting past. He is also very different from his brothers. He also has a cool vocabulary too, though the whole "peace" thing does get on my nerves.
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

I found the "peace" thing entertaining (same with "fascinating" in New Moon). I can just picture him as a hippy, with the whole peace sign and shizz...
Actually, no, I can't. Just ignore that.
Aro is, with not doubt, the character that intrigues me the most. I understand his...obsession with collecting talented vampires, liking to collect 'shiny' things myself. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out his true emotions. Whether he really is...fascinated (in want of a better word) by Renesmee, or simply aims for her destruction is unknown. I have my own theories, but I'll keep them to myself for now.
I would really love to hear more about Aro (and the rest of the Volturi) from Stephenie. His character is very intriguing.
Last edited by Tegan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward-Bella-forever
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Edward-Bella-forever »

One word: Intimidating. Lol
"And he smiled my favorite crooked smile..."Image
Old username known as: Edward_and_Bella_forever
Heroes: "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Yes, a little intimidating, but isn't that the beauty of it? With Edward or whatever, it's just like "Omgee, he's so hawt! Let's worship him!!" But with my Aro it's more like "Ooo, scary" (Emmett quote XD). The Volturi are meant to be intimidating because that's what makes them so powerful!
Last edited by Tegan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.