Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Aro

Post by Isobelle »

Twilight<3 wrote:Okay, I have a question to get the conversation going...

Do you think Aro is the hero or the villian and why?
I think at one point, early on, Aro was a hero. I mean he got along with Carlisle so he cant be entirely evil. But you know what they say about power. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I think Aro has been corrupted by the power he has held for however many years. He is terrified of losing it. I know that the vampires are similar to rock in that it takes something great to change them (ie Edward meeting Bella) but rock can also be changed slowly. I think that the power Aro has as a member of the Volturi, has been slowly eating away at his personality or his ethics, whatever you want to call it. I think, in the beginning, Aro wanted to protect the vampire way of life and saw that as noble work. But he is used to having the power that he does and will fight against anything to keep it.

I hate to bring politics into it, but you could kind of associate the U.S. with Aro. I mean is the U.S. the hero or the villian? Its all about perspective and the sense in which action is taken.
MomoLivesInSpoons
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: As far away from Forks as you can get while staying in America.

Post by MomoLivesInSpoons »

I think it is just a matter of perspective. Depending on your views on vampire vs. humans, he could be either. Just, like most stories, if you switch the point of view, one character can be both antagonist and protagonist. In my opinion, I think he Aro is mainly just bored and he's trying to make something of his "life." I also think he is easily influenced because he sees people so deeply, that really changes him in a harmful way. Because really, everyone is evil in some way.
Grrrrr...
-- momo
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Twilight<3 wrote:Okay, I have a question to get the conversation going...

Do you think Aro is the hero or the villian and why?
I think he's probably something in between. Because he's capable of great and terrible acts.Like most of people.

If he wasn't the most influent of the Volturi trio, I bet the Volturi would be merciless. Besides, as someone posted before, he's friends with Carlisle. So, I can't believe he's 100% evil. In New Moon, he made me think of a much caring uncle.

But, after reading on FAQs that he was the one who killed his own sister - and Marcus's - mate because she was useless and it was stepping on his plans simply made me cringe. So, his mercy towards Edward wasn't about principles. It was about power. Edward is a gifted vampire. So, it's a waste to kill him. The same for Renesmee and Bella. He is extremely greedy. And greedy and power makes a very dangerous combination. Especially under a smilling face. That's why his character is so cool. He is an amazing villan.
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

The correct question is if Aro is an anti-hero or a villain. A hero he most certainly is not.
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

In the Twilight saga, Bella is the 'hero' of the story. Anti-heros are the protagonists of a story, and since Aro doesn't have the story revolve around him (unfortuantly), that would place him in the catagory of 'villain'. You could go into technics, but I have neither the time nor energy to do that now ^^
Landiana
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i liked aro because of his personality and the way he talks, but i felt that in BD he stepped over the line into a proper villian. and after reading the BD FAQ's on stephenie's website, i felt that underneath he is totally power hungry and evil, i mean who would do that to their sister!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Alcyone
Has More Hidden Talents Than Aro

Post by Alcyone »

Tegan wrote:In the Twilight saga, Bella is the 'hero' of the story. Anti-heros are the protagonists of a story, and since Aro doesn't have the story revolve around him (unfortuantly), that would place him in the catagory of 'villain'. You could go into technics, but I have neither the time nor energy to do that now ^^
Anti-heroes are not, by definition, protagonists. They need to be part of the cast of main characters, yes, but do not have to be protagonists. They are the antithesis to the protagonist. Usually amoral, self-centered, etc. characteristics not normally tied to someone deemed a hero.

In the Batman universe, Talia al Ghul and Catwoman are anti-hero figures although they are not protagonists. In Harry Potter, Severus Snape is yet another anti-hero who is not a protagonist. And if you're a hardcore Star Wars fan you will recognize in Boba Fett an anti-hero. An example for the not so obsessed is the early Han Solo as later he teetered more toward the hero end of the spectrum.

An anti-hero is someone with the characteristics of what many would deem "villains" (which is an overused and meaningless statement which fails to fully encapsulate most antagonists, but I digress) yet has an observable moral conduct or other traits which humanize the person or at least make their bad actions understandable, even relatable considering their situation.

A villain, on the other hand, (to choose the most common terminology) is someone who simply chooses to do what is "wrong" and has no redeemable reason for acting as they do.

To round out the English lesson, an antagonist is a force who opposes the protagonist and can be the protagonist him/herself, another person, society, nature, etc. Obviously, Aro--along with the rest of the Volturi--is an antagonist.

But going back to my question now armed with the correct explanation for the terms, is he an anti-hero or a villain?
Set by *cullens & converse | AB Type
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Alcyone wrote:But going back to my question now armed with the correct explanation for the terms, is he an anti-hero or a villain?
Brilliant description of the distinction between the anti-hero and the villain. I couldn't have said it better. Without a doubt, I believe Aro should be placed in the category of "anti-hero" rather than "villain". If you want to get down to it, in Breaking Dawn, the Volturi as a whole are the villains, but as Eleazar proved before we meet the Volturi for the third time in the series, not all the Volturi can be deemed as "bad". I would place Caius in the category of "villain", but not Aro. I'm not a big fan of the Volturi, but Marcus and Aro(at times) hold a special place in my heart. Though in some works of fiction, we'll find ourselves feeling for the villain, in most works(a bold claim I dare make), empathazing with a character viewed in a negative light, or as Alcyone stated, given "redeeming qualities" does not make them a villain, but rather the anti-hero. Caius, I don't believe has any redeeming qualities and is the villain, as are Jane and Felix. Of course we don't know enough of any of three to ascertain that opinion, so with that, it is just an opinion. But with Aro, I think we do have enough information to call him an anti-hero rather than a villain, though he is part of the villainy.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Tegan
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Tegan »

Alcyone wrote:Anti-heroes are not, by definition, protagonists. They need to be part of the cast of main characters, yes, but do not have to be protagonists. They are the antithesis to the protagonist. Usually amoral, self-centered, etc. characteristics not normally tied to someone deemed a hero.

Haha, thank you.

Given that, I shall change my opinion. Whilst it is true that Aro is driven by his thirst for power, he is clever about how he goes about it. He isn't merely another roadblock in the story. He has a 3000 year history which plays a part in where he has come today, and a whole back story to go with that. And of course he has redeeming qualities. Stephenie created each of her characters especially, with a personality and such to match. You can't have a person without a little bit of good and bad in them. The Twilight Saga doesn't have any villains in it, I'm pretty sure. Except maybe Victoria and James. I'm not sure :/
I love Aro XD

I'm suscribed to a Volterra Television channel on youtube, and most recently they have a musical thing going on there called "Draculea -- nel sangue e nell'amore" (Dracula -in the blood and in the love).
I wonder what the Volturi would think? o.O
Haha ^^
CantBreathe

Post by CantBreathe »

Tegan wrote:I'm suscribed to a Volterra Television channel on youtube, and most recently they have a musical thing going on there called "Draculea -- nel sangue e nell'amore" (Dracula -in the blood and in the love).
I wonder what the Volturi would think? o.O
Haha ^^
Wow, like the real world Volterra? That's very ironic... possibly an intentional reference to the Twilight saga? Either way, very cool :D
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!