Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

My first impression of Leah, when I read the whole imprinting story was Ohhhh my you poor girl. I didn't really have an opinion about her not being particularly nice to the pack members, because I figured she was just acting out, I had no idea the complexity of those dynamics. It was something that isn't the best way in the world to handle your pain, but something I can relate to. But then I promptly forgot about her. Until Eclipse, at which point I pretty much wanted to kill her. There was no excuse for picking on someone when they are at the absolute BOTTOM. There still isn't, as much as I like her now. So I went into BD not liking her at all, but as soon as we got to Jacob's POV and I realized how much there was for her to be angry about, how much she had to deal with every day. Now she amazes me. When Sam tried to manipulate her past with him to get her to come back to his pack because his own ego was bruised, I couldn't have been more disgusted with him. It cemented in my mind the concept of Sam as an egomaniacal buttface.

One thing that really bothers me is Bella's attitude towards Leah, and the sort of relativity between the two. They go through sort of the same thing, Bella and Leah, both lose their love to something they can't control and have no say in the matter, and no way of dealing with it. But Bella has the luxury of being able to fall apart, Leah doesn't. Both of them, in their pain (or fear, in Bella's case) end up hurting people. But Bella is pitied and looked after and cared for, because she is the one who couldn't function. But Leah is scorned and seen as a bitter harpy, when she is the one who DIDN'T get her man back, and has to live with seeing him with Emily, her cousin, EVERY day, and hear his thoughts about her... good God. When Edward left, at least Bella didn't have to see him being happy while she was miserable.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:My first impression of Leah, when I read the whole imprinting story was Ohhhh my you poor girl. I didn't really have an opinion about her not being particularly nice to the pack members, because I figured she was just acting out, I had no idea the complexity of those dynamics. It was something that isn't the best way in the world to handle your pain, but something I can relate to. But then I promptly forgot about her. Until Eclipse, at which point I pretty much wanted to kill her. There was no excuse for picking on someone when they are at the absolute BOTTOM. There still isn't, as much as I like her now. So I went into BD not liking her at all, but as soon as we got to Jacob's POV and I realized how much there was for her to be angry about, how much she had to deal with every day. Now she amazes me. When Sam tried to manipulate her past with him to get her to come back to his pack because his own ego was bruised, I couldn't have been more disgusted with him. It cemented in my mind the concept of Sam as an egomaniacal buttface.

One thing that really bothers me is Bella's attitude towards Leah, and the sort of relativity between the two. They go through sort of the same thing, Bella and Leah, both lose their love to something they can't control and have no say in the matter, and no way of dealing with it. But Bella has the luxury of being able to fall apart, Leah doesn't. Both of them, in their pain (or fear, in Bella's case) end up hurting people. But Bella is pitied and looked after and cared for, because she is the one who couldn't function. But Leah is scorned and seen as a bitter harpy, when she is the one who DIDN'T get her man back, and has to live with seeing him with Emily, her cousin, EVERY day, and hear his thoughts about her... good God. When Edward left, at least Bella didn't have to see him being happy while she was miserable.

Yeah in Eclipse and the beginning of BD, at first I really didn't like how she treated Jacob till I saw later one how their situations parallel each other and that probably Leah acted like that to Jake because she saw herself in him. The thing with Bella I dislike. Your right, she and Leah both lost men in their lives but Bella's reason was that Edward was trying to protect her from himself while Leah's reason is because Sam imprinted. I think it's poetic injustice that Bella gets everything she wants and more while Leah is left hanging dry. I know Bella's the main character but I still think that it was unfair that a strong character like Leah barely get's a happy ending when Bella doesn't really know true pain. Your right HOFJ Bella is always sheltered and pitied so when Leah gave her a piece of her mind in BD that must have been a reality slap in the face for Bella and I fell in love with that scene. Of course you had those like Edward trying to comfort her, but even if she was pregnant, she was still making Jacob suffer and I loved how Leah called her out to that. I can't even imagine how Bella would handle Leah's situation if she was put in in. I think she would simply die if Edward completely fell in love with someone else and she had to see inside his head how much Edward loved the other girl, I think Bella would completely lose her sanity. I personally think Leah is more deserving than Bella. There is no way I could handle what she goes through the way she does.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

I completely agree with both of you, holdingoutforjacob and Pendragon, and I don't know why I never thought to compare those two. Leah was the more mature and poised one, by far. I really don't understand why Leah is always getting harped on. She's trying to deal with the situation as best as she can. I mean, that's got to be devestating. To be betrayed by your partner and your cousin who is like a sister at the same time?!? And then to have to see it and feel it everyday? Geez! I'm surprised she hasn't done the Jacob and gone off to be a lone wolf for awhile. In fact, why didn't she?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

She didn't have that freedom. She didn't become a wolf til either late New Moon or early Eclipse, I think.... or maybe mid-Eclipse. Anyway, she knew the legends and stuff but she didn't hear the pack mind or anything so she could escape it. By the time there was no escape, there really was NO ESCAPE, because at that point her father had just died, her mother was mourning, her little brother had just been thrown into a world of violence and things beyond his control.... she probably couldn't justify leaving them in her head. Jacob had very few ties to La Push, besides his father, who can take care of himself pretty well, plus there's a whole helping community for him, not that Sue wouldn't have this too, but she probably figured that losing a daughter after losing her husband would be too hard. She also has a lot of pride and probably wouldn't want to run away. Poor Leah. Bella is allowed to be completely useless yet she can't even escape the situation if she wants to.

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:She didn't have that freedom. She didn't become a wolf til either late New Moon or early Eclipse, I think.... or maybe mid-Eclipse. Anyway, she knew the legends and stuff but she didn't hear the pack mind or anything so she could escape it. By the time there was no escape, there really was NO ESCAPE, because at that point her father had just died, her mother was mourning, her little brother had just been thrown into a world of violence and things beyond his control.... she probably couldn't justify leaving them in her head. Jacob had very few ties to La Push, besides his father, who can take care of himself pretty well, plus there's a whole helping community for him, not that Sue wouldn't have this too, but she probably figured that losing a daughter after losing her husband would be too hard. She also has a lot of pride and probably wouldn't want to run away. Poor Leah. Bella is allowed to be completely useless yet she can't even escape the situation if she wants to.
You know, I've always wondered like Angelvamp on why Leah didn't just leave like Jacob did. I guess it's true that she had her mom and Seth to think about. I have to say, I'm really surprised on the fact that she still accepted Emily's request to be her bridesmaid despite what she's been through. I think is shows a good sense of character on her part. I know that had it be me in Leah's shoes, I think I would have told both Sam and Emily to piss off more or less. Just shows how good she is dispite how bitter she can be. What do you guys think you would have done in Leah's place?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

There would have been a lot of yelling, and possibly swearing. No, definite swearing.

That's what I like to think anyway, that I wouldn't have done it, that I would have stood up for myself, but in reality I probably would have been a bridesmaid because I really have no backbone :(

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:There would have been a lot of yelling, and possibly swearing. No, definite swearing.

That's what I like to think anyway, that I wouldn't have done it, that I would have stood up for myself, but in reality I probably would have been a bridesmaid because I really have no backbone :(
I defiantly would. :lol: I mean I'm surprised that Emily had the nerve to ask Leah something like that. Now that I think about it, does she even care about how their relationship's chanced because of the Sam incident and what Leah has to go through now? I can't help but feel that it hasn't affected her as it has Leah, as evident of her asking Leah to be a bridesmaid. I would feel awkward asking after betraying my cousin like that.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

From what we see of Emily, I don't think she'd intentionally be malicious. I think maybe she thought it was a nice gesture, to show she still loved Leah, something to that effect. But either she's really stupid, really insensitive, or REALLY mean.

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:From what we see of Emily, I don't think she'd intentionally be malicious. I think maybe she thought it was a nice gesture, to show she still loved Leah, something to that effect. But either she's really stupid, really insensitive, or REALLY mean.
Yeah she probably did do it because she still loves Leah and sees her as family, but at the same time I think she really is insensitive of the whole situation with Leah.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Well she probably feels guilty, and is a bit self-centered, and wants that guilt to go away and the best way to make herself feel better is to pretend like she's being so magnanimous and including "poor Leah". Rather like Bella in a way.