Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Well she probably feels guilty, and is a bit self-centered, and wants that guilt to go away and the best way to make herself feel better is to pretend like she's being so magnanimous and including "poor Leah". Rather like Bella in a way.
Yeah I could totally see that. That leads me to another question. How do you think Seth her brother delt with the whole Sam and Emily issue? I mean Emily is his cousin as well and He has to be with Sam all the time. Do you think he comforted Leah at least a little?
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

I;m pretty sure seth didnt like sam very much. he respected him as alpha but in the end he broke free as soon as he could. he followed his sister which i think says alot about his loyalty to family and how much he cares about her. I believe that seth would have been the comic relief for his sis had she allowed him to. I'm sure he was a supportive as he could be.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

spicey16 wrote:I;m pretty sure seth didnt like sam very much. he respected him as alpha but in the end he broke free as soon as he could. he followed his sister which i think says alot about his loyalty to family and how much he cares about her. I believe that seth would have been the comic relief for his sis had she allowed him to. I'm sure he was a supportive as he could be.
Yeah, I think as care-free as he is, he still would try his best to comfort her. I think he might have felt uncomfortable around Emily as well.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Mmmm you could be right. I think the actual decision to leave had more to do with the fact that Sam planned to destroy the Cullens, who Seth liked, and Jacob planned to prevent that, but Leah could definitely have been a factor.

I think that Seth has an uncanny ability to see all sides of a situation, and he would see that while Sam couldn't control hurting Leah originally, he could control how he behaved afterwards and I think he's one of those people who sees where the truth really lies. Although I can also see how he would be infuriating to have around. There are some people who think that "Not taking sides" actually means taking the side of the person you're angry with when you try to talk to them about it. I think Seth's one of those.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Mmmm you could be right. I think the actual decision to leave had more to do with the fact that Sam planned to destroy the Cullens, who Seth liked, and Jacob planned to prevent that, but Leah could definitely have been a factor.

I think that Seth has an uncanny ability to see all sides of a situation, and he would see that while Sam couldn't control hurting Leah originally, he could control how he behaved afterwards and I think he's one of those people who sees where the truth really lies. Although I can also see how he would be infuriating to have around. There are some people who think that "Not taking sides" actually means taking the side of the person you're angry with when you try to talk to them about it. I think Seth's one of those.
Wow I couldn't imagine what it would be like have to be around the same guy who broke my sister's heart. I like how Seth plays it cool though, being the guy he is.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:She didn't have that freedom. She didn't become a wolf til either late New Moon or early Eclipse, I think.... or maybe mid-Eclipse. Anyway, she knew the legends and stuff but she didn't hear the pack mind or anything so she could escape it. By the time there was no escape, there really was NO ESCAPE, because at that point her father had just died, her mother was mourning, her little brother had just been thrown into a world of violence and things beyond his control.... she probably couldn't justify leaving them in her head. Jacob had very few ties to La Push, besides his father, who can take care of himself pretty well, plus there's a whole helping community for him, not that Sue wouldn't have this too, but she probably figured that losing a daughter after losing her husband would be too hard. She also has a lot of pride and probably wouldn't want to run away. Poor Leah. Bella is allowed to be completely useless yet she can't even escape the situation if she wants to.
You hit it right on the head, I think this is a really good explanation of the character. Her sense of responsibility and loyalty to her family would come before self pity. And I think she would see it as running away. She seems to be a fairly aggressive personality, someone who meets challenges head-on. That's one of the reasons I love that she's a wolf. :)

I don't agree, however, with the assessment of Emily and the wedding. I don't believe Emily was being selfish or mean when including Leah in the ceremony. In fact, I don't think it was explicitly said in the books that Emily asked her to be a bridesmaid. Leah could have volunteered, to show that she did still love Emily and that she was strong enough to deal with the situation. I like to think that's what happened, it shows a strength of character on all sides and I don't think of Emily or Leah as cruel people. They are just victims of circumstance, trying to make the best of a bad situation.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:She didn't have that freedom. She didn't become a wolf til either late New Moon or early Eclipse, I think.... or maybe mid-Eclipse. Anyway, she knew the legends and stuff but she didn't hear the pack mind or anything so she could escape it. By the time there was no escape, there really was NO ESCAPE, because at that point her father had just died, her mother was mourning, her little brother had just been thrown into a world of violence and things beyond his control.... she probably couldn't justify leaving them in her head. Jacob had very few ties to La Push, besides his father, who can take care of himself pretty well, plus there's a whole helping community for him, not that Sue wouldn't have this too, but she probably figured that losing a daughter after losing her husband would be too hard. She also has a lot of pride and probably wouldn't want to run away. Poor Leah. Bella is allowed to be completely useless yet she can't even escape the situation if she wants to.
You hit it right on the head, I think this is a really good explanation of the character. Her sense of responsibility and loyalty to her family would come before self pity. And I think she would see it as running away. She seems to be a fairly aggressive personality, someone who meets challenges head-on. That's one of the reasons I love that she's a wolf. :)

I don't agree, however, with the assessment of Emily and the wedding. I don't believe Emily was being selfish or mean when including Leah in the ceremony. In fact, I don't think it was explicitly said in the books that Emily asked her to be a bridesmaid. Leah could have volunteered, to show that she did still love Emily and that she was strong enough to deal with the situation. I like to think that's what happened, it shows a strength of character on all sides and I don't think of Emily or Leah as cruel people. They are just victims of circumstance, trying to make the best of a bad situation.

For accepting Emily's request, I respect Leah all the more. :D She is one of far more interesting characters in the series IMO
KiowaLove
Settled in Forks

Post by KiowaLove »

I'm sure the whole Leah-having-children-thing has been discussed before, but I have question about it. You know how she said that her body just sort of froze? Well, when the wolves phase they can continue to live forever, so has anyone ever considered the fact that maybe wolves and vamps are a little more alike than they thought, that both were sort of frozen in time? That maybe if she stopped phasing her body would un-freeze and she may be able to have children?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Yeah, it's been considered. It could be right - we really don't know.

The thing is, it's not JUST that that's upsetting her. Imprinting supposedly is a mechanism designed to create the best genetic setup for future wolves, right? Well, since Sam imprinted on Emily and not her, obviously she wasn't right to pass on the gene. No REAL need for concern though, until she finds out that not only does she have the gene, it's active, and she is a shifter. Logic would tell her that two genes are better than one. But then after she phases that part of her system freezes. So more than her being possibly barren is her not being "enough".

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

You know, I just had another though as to why Leah isn't recieving her period anymore. It could be caused by the amount of stress she's probably gone through after she became a werewolf. I heard that stress can affect a woman's period and given all the things she's gone through i.e. indirect cause of father's death, sharing thought with boys, sharing thought with ex who fantasies about her cousin all the time, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.