Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Saffron Sunset
Settled in Forks

Re: Leah Clearwater

Post by Saffron Sunset »

emmett_<3 wrote:Wow, can you really blame Leah? Why is she so bitter? Think about it. I'm the same way, its a bad thing, taking things out on other people, but many people do it. Sometimes for good reasons...sometimes...not. Leah had a reason, and a really good one. Something like that is bound to leave a huge mark...her lashing out was just in result of that. She can't really blame anyone so what else is there to do? She still loves Sam, but he doesn't even want her around. I'd act the same way.

Saffron Sunset: You need to give Leah a bit more credit. I highly doubt you would act in a more civilized way if you were placed in the situation. You'd either act the same way, or act some way equivilent.
I respect your opinion, hon, and if you go back and read my post I think you'll see that I do feel Leah's pain. I understand perfectly why she reacted the way that she did, because I think Stephenie has drawn her well enough that we can all get into her head and feel as she's feeling, think as she's thinking. I'm just recognising in advance that she is a flawed character, because I know failing to do that can sometimes annoy people ... there's no need to make it personal, okay? We're both fans of the same books and characters here. I'd appreciate if you didn't tell me what I do or don't need to do, and how I would or wouldn't react in a given situation. I don't want to argue with you, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to argue with anyone either, so let's just leave it at that. No hard feelings or arguments here ... =]
(I'm sorry to bring this back up, but I didn't want to leave you thinking I was being unfair or mean or whatever ...)

In response to some more recent posts ...
niski wrote:That whole protecting Bella from feeling bad was getting on my nerves. Someone needed to tell her how it is and what she is doing and the consequences of her actions. Edward and Jacob always try to make her feel better even when she did something wrong and she got way too used to that. Leah was able to bring her back to reality. Yes Bella you are human and not everyone loves you and you hurt the people around you often now wake up and face it.
Hum-de-dum ... I think I agree with you that Bella needed to face her faults, and I definitely agree that Edward and Jake try to make her feel better about things that are her fault ... I'm not sure that Leah picked the best time, though, to let this all out at her. I mean, Bella was nearing the end of her pregnancy and most women don't feel too great at that point, let alone women carrying bone-breaking babypires who will as likely kill their mothers as be born safely. But I agree with you that Leah's real-world view of everything is a great aspect about her. In the midst of a fantasy novel, it's nice to see someone who cuts straight through all of that, if you see what I mean. I definitely see where you're coming from.
Formerly known as t1gr355.
I'm a Vesperarium Staff member – find the site here for graphics help!

(Keep it light.)
Muffin
Settled in Forks

Post by Muffin »

For some strange and unknown reason I liked Leah from the outset. I don't know if it was the sob story, or the fact that she was funny (And you have to admit she is pretty darn hilliarious, even if it is at other peoples expense).

In BD I loved the fact that she finally broke away from Sam and became someone more than a bitter were-girl. She became a friend (in a weird sort of bittersweet way) to Jacob and you saw her as a sister to Seth. When you hear that Leah shouted at Bella I was like, well to be honest people had been tip toeing around her a tad much, when I read it was about Jacob I was like "Finally someone acting human" Because she was. She was thinking about a petty little thing, and not the greater good. Which made me warm to her even more.

And finally, and stop me if I'm reading way too much into this, but I though Leah kinda represented women in the working place. After all, she came into a male dominated world (The pack) and made her way. I think that's why I really did warm to her more than I thought I would.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Saffron Sunset wrote:
emmett_<3 wrote:Wow, can you really blame Leah? Why is she so bitter? Think about it. I'm the same way, its a bad thing, taking things out on other people, but many people do it. Sometimes for good reasons...sometimes...not. Leah had a reason, and a really good one. Something like that is bound to leave a huge mark...her lashing out was just in result of that. She can't really blame anyone so what else is there to do? She still loves Sam, but he doesn't even want her around. I'd act the same way.

Saffron Sunset: You need to give Leah a bit more credit. I highly doubt you would act in a more civilized way if you were placed in the situation. You'd either act the same way, or act some way equivilent.
I respect your opinion, hon, and if you go back and read my post I think you'll see that I do feel Leah's pain. I understand perfectly why she reacted the way that she did, because I think Stephenie has drawn her well enough that we can all get into her head and feel as she's feeling, think as she's thinking. I'm just recognising in advance that she is a flawed character, because I know failing to do that can sometimes annoy people ... there's no need to make it personal, okay? We're both fans of the same books and characters here. I'd appreciate if you didn't tell me what I do or don't need to do, and how I would or wouldn't react in a given situation. I don't want to argue with you, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to argue with anyone either, so let's just leave it at that. No hard feelings or arguments here ... =]
(I'm sorry to bring this back up, but I didn't want to leave you thinking I was being unfair or mean or whatever ...)

In response to some more recent posts ...
niski wrote:That whole protecting Bella from feeling bad was getting on my nerves. Someone needed to tell her how it is and what she is doing and the consequences of her actions. Edward and Jacob always try to make her feel better even when she did something wrong and she got way too used to that. Leah was able to bring her back to reality. Yes Bella you are human and not everyone loves you and you hurt the people around you often now wake up and face it.
Hum-de-dum ... I think I agree with you that Bella needed to face her faults, and I definitely agree that Edward and Jake try to make her feel better about things that are her fault ... I'm not sure that Leah picked the best time, though, to let this all out at her. I mean, Bella was nearing the end of her pregnancy and most women don't feel too great at that point, let alone women carrying bone-breaking babypires who will as likely kill their mothers as be born safely. But I agree with you that Leah's real-world view of everything is a great aspect about her. In the midst of a fantasy novel, it's nice to see someone who cuts straight through all of that, if you see what I mean. I definitely see where you're coming from.
first, let's chill ladies. emmett didn't mean that personally, i'm sure, and do you really think the she was really "telling you what to do?" i think you should both not take things personally. good deal?

as for leah's timing, i'm sorry, bella was hurting jake THEN. she needed to hear it THEN. leah doesn't owe bella anything, not respect, not pity, nothing. what would have been gained if leah had waited? bella would have made an excuse for herself, and no one would have taken it seriously. apologies and agreements after the fact do no one any good. in fact, i'm proud of leah for saying "you know what? forget this b.s." and saying and doing what no one else had the balls to say.

Muffin - i LOVE that comparison. it's so true! leah is the only feminist in the entire book, the only really STRONG woman. maybe that's why i like her so much.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
FidoLover
Settled in Forks

Post by FidoLover »

holdingoutforjacob - I agree with pretty much everything you said. We all knew Leah was going to get into some kind of conflict with Bella and I think it was perfect timing. Bella knew that she was hurting Jacob, but she wouldn't (or I guess couldn't because of the whole imprinting on Renesmee thing) leave him alone. I think Leah was the first person who actually said what Bella was doing was wrong. I loved how she just cut the crap and was very blunt. At first I thought I was going to absolutely hate Leah, but I really warmed up to her.

I also really liked Leah and Jake's relationship. In Eclipse they couldn't stand each other but now she's on his right side in the pack. I loved the conversation they had when Leah said she wanted to stay in Jake's pack. I think they make great friends.

Leah's the only person in this book who I think just completely says what she's thinking. She doesn't worry about hurting peoples feelings because she knows they need to hear the truth. I believe she's the strongest character in the whole book.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

NO ONE has ever told bella what she was doing was wrong, in a way that she takes seriously at least. i have to love leah for finally doing something about it. everyone needs to be put back in her place once in a while.

i liked jake and leah's relationship as well. i found them to be absolutely adorable. i do wish they could have been "more" a little, but i still loved it! and i think they can be and will be great friends.

Saffron Sunset
Settled in Forks

Post by Saffron Sunset »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:first, let's chill ladies. emmett didn't mean that personally, i'm sure, and do you really think the she was really "telling you what to do?" i think you should both not take things personally. good deal?
... good deal. I really am sorry for the misunderstanding, emmett_<3. I'm just one of those people who get wound up easily ... 'tis my problem to sort! =]

So may I pose a new question to add to the current discussion?
Assuming that Stephenie continues Leah's story (PLEASE GOD LET IT HAPPEN!) and that Leah does, um, get with someone – would you prefer Leah to imprint or to fall in love the "normal" way? Any thoughts?
(And if this is a repeat discussion, feel free to throw the vegetable of your choice ...) =D
Formerly known as t1gr355.
I'm a Vesperarium Staff member – find the site here for graphics help!

(Keep it light.)
FidoLover
Settled in Forks

Post by FidoLover »

Saffron Sunset wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:first, let's chill ladies. emmett didn't mean that personally, i'm sure, and do you really think the she was really "telling you what to do?" i think you should both not take things personally. good deal?
... good deal. I really am sorry for the misunderstanding, emmett_<3. I'm just one of those people who get wound up easily ... 'tis my problem to sort! =]

So may I pose a new question to add to the current discussion?
Assuming that Stephenie continues Leah's story (PLEASE GOD LET IT HAPPEN!) and that Leah does, um, get with someone – would you prefer Leah to imprint or to fall in love the "normal" way? Any thoughts?
(And if this is a repeat discussion, feel free to throw the vegetable of your choice ...) =D
I hope Stephenie continues Leah's story too. If she was every to fall in love I would want her to do it the normal way. Leah is such a strong character that I think imprinting would simply ruin her personality. Once they imprint they are bound to the person forever. They can't ever leave or do anything about the relationship. I mean yeah, I think imprinting is great but I just don't see it happening to Leah.
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

haha well thanks hoffjuh :]
"The piercing, heartbroken howling grew fainter and then disappeared entirely." <3

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would." -MS
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

no problem.

personally, i think i would want leah to fall in love naturally i guess. but, i also feel like she "deserves" to imprint. and i'd want her to, because she thinks she can't. so i'm torn.

Toasty108.9
Settled in Forks

Post by Toasty108.9 »

what we talking about?