Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #2

Post by twilight1909 »

Very true. It's just one more thing their love endures.
leahroselover wrote:There never was a story of more angst than this of Bella and her Edward
hahah, case in point.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

EXACTLY!!
Even though Jacob almost managed to change Bella's mind, which some would view as a question of her love, the fact that she had someone else who cared about her just as much as Edward and was willing to sacrifice everything to give her a happy life, the fact that she loved him too, yet chose Edward, shows that their love is strong.
The journey is part of the destination, or something, i don't remember exactly how the addage goes...
anyway, ya, I think Jacob had a pretty important role throughout the series...
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
DesiringJB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by DesiringJB »

Mhmm, you'd think Edward/Bella lovers would be more thankful to Jacob ;)
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

I'm guessing that the majority of people don't think that far into things, and it is a pretty obscure point of view to have (mine I mean), so I can understand why people who like Edward sometimes don't like Jacob.
A lot of people take things at face value, so when Edward and Jacob are competing for Bella's affection, they just see Jacob stepping in and intruding on Edward's 'rightful' place as Bella's man. You know, they see the fight, the competition, not the underlying issues that are truly driving the situation.
Which is why I think a lot of people are so hard on Bella for behaving the way she does towards Jacob throughout the series, they don't grasp the deeper meaning of what's going on..
Not the I'm claiming to, by any means, I have a few viewpoints which I make known when someone else's post strikes a chord in me, but I don't think I have the entire situation figured out either, especially since I've only read it through once, and then I read BD again, and the I read TW again, but I have only read it through once..
Wow I'm starting to see how these pages multiply so quickly, I swear we were at three (maybe I'm wrong) when I started posting tonight..
= )
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Hmm. I think i understand what you mean. I don't fault Bella for the bigger picture of her relationship with Jacob at all. I do, however, think she could have been more fair, understanding, compromising, etc. etc. etc.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

Ahem, SenorGimp, I for one do think that far into things. :)

I get all that it's just THE KISS...the kiisss... WWHHYYY?!? I am NOT thankful for THAT. Jacob's lips were all over Bella's mouth--no, his TONGUE was down her throat while poor Edward sat back in the trees knowing his fiancee of ONE damn day was reciprocating this physical and emotional betrayal of their love. aarghh! Edward was never able to kiss her like that or comfort her in the tent when she was freezing, and big sweaty Jacob just rubs salt in his wounds. ugh! *gasps in exasperation*

Whew I needed to get that out. Please don't take offense, Team Jacobs. I'm done this time. Really.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Forgive me any insult I may have inadvertently offered you Twilight1909, I was merely referring to the 'status quo' if you will, the people who read what's on the surface. Forgive me again, but I've read alot of posts on this site that seem as though no thought was put into them whatsoever, and I was sort of trying to justify their opinions to myself so as not to attack anyone on here... I've actually found what everyone has written in this thread so far to be along the lines of the best and most stimulating (mentally) entries I have read and responded to in the entire lex so far...

Oh, and as for the kiss scene... hmm, I guess I did forget about that, and Jacob was extremely pushy and even got under my skin through his self-pitying ploy to play on Bella's symapthies and her need for him to be around her, overtly threatening suicide for a measly little kiss and all..
But, then again, I think that had Bella not been so wrapped up in her crisallis (sp?) of emotional anguish, which Edward caused by the way, she would have likely gotten to that level with Jacob long before Edward came back, and then she might have chosen differently, had she had the opportunity to realize that she was also in love with Jacob prior to Edward's returning to claim her love for himself...
But who knows?..
Just speculation..
= )...
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

No worries. I just wanted to point out that some of us who don't prefer Jacob do still look beneath the surface of the situation.

I firmly believe the end result would be the same even if Bella and Jacob's relationship progressed further before Edward's return. And if events had not happened as they did, such as Bella's behavior and Alice's vision causing Edward to run off to Volterra, I think fate would have intervened eventually. Some other catalyst would bring them together again. Or he would have simply lost the willpower to stay away. That's a different subject though..
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think SenorGimp has a point in that usually people who see deeper into the book don't hate Jacob, they understand what he was trying to do, and while they don't necessarily prefer him, they hold no animosity towards him. that, to me, is a sign of someone who really got it. they hold no animosity towards either edward or jacob.

jacob and bella's first kiss - i wanted to kill him. the second one though, i understood. i think we all need to remember that this was NOT part of jacob's regular routine. his whole thing was to be constant, in the background, patient, waiting. this was last-ditch, last chance, desperate. does that make it right? no. does that make it less painful for edward? no. it just makes it not evil of jacob.

but again, one of the things i like most about edward is that he gets it. he understands that this has to be done, that she has to do this, that she has to go through this in order to be ready for him. i really admire his wisdom in that.

however, if bella's relationship with edward was a bit healthier, she probably would have been a bit more self-aware and it wouldn't have come to this point.

however, Twilight1909, the insult wasn't necessary. your point could easily have been made minus pettiness.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

I've never doubted and am all for Edward and Bella's love, I merely think that Jacob should have had more of a fighting chance with Bella, since he was (statistically speaking) more reliable to Bella than Edward was.
But I'm really pleased with the way things turned out, so I guess I really haven't got any qualms, I just really love discussing this with you guys :P :mrgreen:
it makes me feel happy, or something, since I have recently been unable to converse with my own "Bella", and appreciate the diversion this allows..
= )...