Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Edward Cullen #4

Post by Esme echo »

FindYourTrueCalling wrote:Would anyone else agree with me when I say that I dont think Edward really cares/loves Renesmee?.
Ive just kind of got that opinion from the start. Even after he could hear her thoughts. I mean dont get me wrong of course he does love her but I think he always has that anguish from when she nearly killed Bella.

xoxo.
I agree with you, twilightsagaaddict. Consider the following from Bella's point of view:

"Renesmee is healthy and well," he promised, a gleam I'd never seen before in his eyes. He said her name with an understated fervor. A reverence. The way devout people talked about their gods. (p. 396)

Bella: "Tell me about her." Edward: "She's like nothing else in the world," he told me, and the sound of an almost religious devotion was there again in his voice. (p. 428)

During the goodbye scene in the meadow when Edward understood that Jacob was going to have to run with Renesmee: "Edward's and Jacob's faces were almost identical masks of horror, despite the fact that one of them was an animal. Renesmee reached for Edward, and he took her into his arms. They hugged each other tightly. ... Edward kissed Renesmee's forehead and both her cheeks, then he lifted her to Jacob's shoulder. ... Edward leaned his head against the same shoulder where he'd placed Renesmee. 'Goodbye, Jacob, my brother ... my son.'" (p. 722-23)

Several times during the first couple of days of Bella's new life Edward reminded Bella that Renesmee was waiting for them. Several times Bella mentioned that Edward was holding Renesmee, protecting her.

I don't think Edward would harbor any ill feeling towards Renesmee in consequence of Bella being determined to carry her to term. Once Bella successfully made the transformation to vampire, Edward's fears concerning Bella's well-being ended (until the Volturi threat). All the sorrow he experienced during the pregnancy was water under the bridge. Bella was happy, so Edward was happy. He would have died to protect either of his girls.

I think Edward was a destined to be a wonderful father who was absolutely devoted to his daughter. I just feel sad that poor Renesmee couldn't hide her thoughts from her father! That will get awkward!
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
FindYourTrueCalling
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by FindYourTrueCalling »

Esme echo wrote:
FindYourTrueCalling wrote:Would anyone else agree with me when I say that I dont think Edward really cares/loves Renesmee?.
Ive just kind of got that opinion from the start. Even after he could hear her thoughts. I mean dont get me wrong of course he does love her but I think he always has that anguish from when she nearly killed Bella.

xoxo.
I agree with you, twilightsagaaddict. Consider the following from Bella's point of view:

"Renesmee is healthy and well," he promised, a gleam I'd never seen before in his eyes. He said her name with an understated fervor. A reverence. The way devout people talked about their gods. (p. 396)

Bella: "Tell me about her." Edward: "She's like nothing else in the world," he told me, and the sound of an almost religious devotion was there again in his voice. (p. 428)

During the goodbye scene in the meadow when Edward understood that Jacob was going to have to run with Renesmee: "Edward's and Jacob's faces were almost identical masks of horror, despite the fact that one of them was an animal. Renesmee reached for Edward, and he took her into his arms. They hugged each other tightly. ... Edward kissed Renesmee's forehead and both her cheeks, then he lifted her to Jacob's shoulder. ... Edward leaned his head against the same shoulder where he'd placed Renesmee. 'Goodbye, Jacob, my brother ... my son.'" (p. 722-23)

Several times during the first couple of days of Bella's new life Edward reminded Bella that Renesmee was waiting for them. Several times Bella mentioned that Edward was holding Renesmee, protecting her.

I don't think Edward would harbor any ill feeling towards Renesmee in consequence of Bella being determined to carry her to term. Once Bella successfully made the transformation to vampire, Edward's fears concerning Bella's well-being ended (until the Volturi threat). All the sorrow he experienced during the pregnancy was water under the bridge. Bella was happy, so Edward was happy. He would have died to protect either of his girls.

I think Edward was a destined to be a wonderful father who was absolutely devoted to his daughter. I just feel sad that poor Renesmee couldn't hide her thoughts from her father! That will get awkward!
Lol.
I found your last sentence amusing. A father that can read your mind! No privacy. :P
You have provided alot of good evidence, so I would admit I am wrong!
xoxo.
ImageImage
TeamJacob.TeamEdward.TeamJasper.
Because of Twilight,I have unrealistic expectations in men.
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

xoxo.
I guess Esme Echo already answered your question, but, think about it. How could he not? Okay, Renesmee almost killed Bella. But she didn't mean it. She didn't know she was hurting her mother and she desperately loves her mother and her father. How can Edward blame her and have any sort of anger towards Renesmee, if she's the prove that he did something right, after all? That all the risks and all the pain Bella suffered worth it? That immortality isn't the death of the soul? We are talking about a child here, FYTC. Edward was scared of what Renesmee was... because of him. But she showed him she was human too. She was Bella's. And his. As Esme Echo posted... Edward not only loves Renesmee... he thinks she's a miracle. Edward, a guy who had practally gave up on himself in Twilight had a whole family... so much more than he could ever imagine. Trust me, read BD again and ask yourself if Edward doesn't love his daughter. I'm sure you'll find your answer.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

It always tickles me to remember that of all the Cullen men, Edward is the only biological father.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Esme echo wrote:It always tickles me to remember that of all the Cullen men, Edward is the only biological father.
Esme Echo~ this thought makes me just smile. And what a father he is and will continue to be. And, a huge part of me is so glad that he is fathering a daughter. There is just something so special about the bond between a father and his little girl. What better proof is there that our Edward is the furthest thing from a monster than the beautiful little girl he helped to create.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Yes! . . . I love Bella's comment when they were touring the cottage for the first time together: "Edward had always thought that he belonged to the world of horror stories. Of course, I'd known he was dead wrong. It was obvious that he belonged here. In a fairy tale."
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Esme echo wrote: I think Edward was a destined to be a wonderful father who was absolutely devoted to his daughter. I just feel sad that poor Renesmee couldn't hide her thoughts from her father! That will get awkward!
Ugh *cringe*. How horrible for both of them, especially when she comes of age and starts to look at boys.
Esme echo wrote:Yes! . . . I love Bella's comment when they were touring the cottage for the first time together: "Edward had always thought that he belonged to the world of horror stories. Of course, I'd known he was dead wrong. It was obvious that he belonged here. In a fairy tale."
Aw, I love that line. Sometimes I get distracted by all that "second honeymoon" and miss the subtler parts that happen right before. ;)

Image Image Image
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Esme echo wrote:
I think your post was very good her Esme echo. I believe that the loves was started for Edward when he could first hear the baby, and realized that she liked their voices. Of course he was still worried sick for Bella, so it was not release of pure joy until he was sure that Bella would make it.
That baby is part of him and Bella, she is the result of their forever love. And he loves Renesmee so much. That quote you had in from BD when he is leaving her with Jacob, is very powerful. It shows clearly a dad's love. Being a father was something he never thought he could, so it must be amazing for him.
And I don't think he ever hated the baby. He was just so scared out of his mind, by not knowing what it would do to Bella. But as soon as Bella survived his fathers instinct really came through. And I'm not totally convinced that if Bella had died, that Edward would have gotten himself killed as well. A part of me believes that he would have stayed alive for his daughter, because Bella would have wanted them to be together. I'm not sure he would, but maybe.
I think part of the reason why people might get the idea that Edward didn't really love Renesmee is because we get to see so little of their time together. We don't get to see much one-on-one time between the two of them since it is written in Bella's POV. So I think if we had Edward's perspective in BD, we would see the love for his daughter shining through.

I imagine Edward will really hate to be able to read the minds of Renesmee when she's a teenager or whatever she will be. That is not something a father would like to hear, or a daughter wants her father to hear...
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Dovrebanen wrote:That baby is part of him and Bella, she is the result of their forever love. And he loves Renesmee so much. That quote you had in from BD when he is leaving her with Jacob, is very powerful. It shows clearly a dad's love. Being a father was something he never thought he could, so it must be amazing for him.
As I pondered your response, it occurred to me that not only Bella, but Edward got everything he wished for by the end of Breaking Dawn.

He wished he and Bella had the potential to have children -- they did. He wished Bella was safe from danger -- she was. He was agonized over the idea that Bella would eventually hate him if she was transformed -- she was beyond happy as a vampire. He wanted to be happy with Bella the rest of his existence -- they had a very good chance at that! Your thought, "Being a father was something he never thought he could, so it must be amazing for him," was a revelation! Thank you!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Esme echo wrote:
Dovrebanen wrote:That baby is part of him and Bella, she is the result of their forever love. And he loves Renesmee so much. That quote you had in from BD when he is leaving her with Jacob, is very powerful. It shows clearly a dad's love. Being a father was something he never thought he could, so it must be amazing for him.
As I pondered your response, it occurred to me that not only Bella, but Edward got everything he wished for by the end of Breaking Dawn.

He wished he and Bella had the potential to have children -- they did. He wished Bella was safe from danger -- she was. He was agonized over the idea that Bella would eventually hate him if she was transformed -- she was beyond happy as a vampire. He wanted to be happy with Bella the rest of his existence -- they had a very good chance at that! Your thought, "Being a father was something he never thought he could, so it must be amazing for him," was a revelation! Thank you!
That reminded me of the comment he made to Bella after their first night together at the cottage when he stated(I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the book in front of me) that it is not everyday that one gets everything they ever wanted and things they never thought to ask for. He did get his beloved Bella, a daughter, a new & beautiful forever.

Cool. 8-)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict