Edward Cullen #4

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: Edward Cullen #4

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Hey guys it's me your favorite questionarre person! :D What's the latest topic?
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

:?: If Edward could have read Bella's mind, and he still fell in love with her, do you think he would have left in New Moon? Wouldn't he have seen how much Bella loved him, and known leaving wouldn't work?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
SarahGoddard
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SarahGoddard »

Jazz Girl wrote: Anyway, let me first say I don't see Edward as possesive. Protective to be sure. And, occasionally overbearingly so. But, possessive again strays towards that idea that he believes Bella belongs to him. I don't believe that at all. From the moment he decides to give in to his feelings for her, he goes out of his way to make sure she has a choice in how things progress. Yes, we see that his desire to protect her, even against her own wishes, takes over more often than not. But I think Edward always treasures Bella's independence, is always mindful of it, even if he occasionally overrules it in favor of keeping her alive and whole.

As for where that protective instinct comes from, I think that has always been his nature. We don't know much about the Masens. But, it seems pretty clear that they raised Edward with a clear sense of responsibility and chivalry, a duty to protect particularly those weaker than he is. I see it as a big reason why he was so keen to enlist and fight in WWI. And, once he was changed, that was among his human characteristics that came with him and was strengthened. And, through living with Carlisle, it was strengthened even more. By the time Bella comes into his life, seeming so fragile and defenseless, he has to protect her. Remember, in The Novel We Shall Not Name, before he is exposed to her scent and his physical desire for her, he feels the need to shield her from Jessica's pettiness. A tiny foreshadowing of the protectiveness he would come to feel. And, once he realizes he's in love with her, particularly with his heightened vampire emotions, the thought of anything that might hurt her triggers that instinct with a ferocity even he can't fully wrap his head around.[/color]
Jazz Girl you really are amazing with your posts! I completly agree - maybe possesive was the wrong word for me to use.
SenorGimp wrote:Edward's protectiveness stems from the fact that I'm not sure there has ever been anyone MORE in need of protection, ridiculous though that sounds. Who else have you ever heard of that is such a tremendous contradiction?
Absolutely unafraid of all of the monstrosities of the world, capable of looking death in the eye, and being only moderately regretful, and that because of the fact that her death will hurt others. Running with Vampires and Werewolves, and yet, here's the big irony, fainting at the smell of blood!!
She just cries out for protection in every one of her seemingly trivial actions and quirks, so I can completely understand Edward's need to protect her. She's the strongest example of a completely fragile person ever written..
SeniorGimp - love it. I think Bella would be more than capable of looking after herself but her inherent "fragilness" must just bring out the protectivness of the male species in general and Edward in particular!

As for him and Jacob I think they will always have that brother relationship. (Though not like Edward and Emmett or Jasper) - a more "human" brother realationship if that makes sense.

I can see many "Dad/Son" jokes though but I dont think they ever would have that sort of relationship. I also definitly think that all the Bella stuff will be put behind them and they are now fighting side by side for similar causes.
Esme echo wrote:but that Jacob was lionizing the available time he and Bella had with the baby . . . interferring with their chance to bond with their baby.
- completley agree with this Esme echo -Imprinting or not Jacob should have backed off and let them bond with the baby - espcecially when Bella first meets Renesme properly and he goes all over protective crazyness! Slightly off topic - might move that over to the Jacob thread...
Esme echo wrote:If Edward could have read Bella's mind, and he still fell in love with her, do you think he would have left in New Moon? Wouldn't he have seen how much Bella loved him, and known leaving wouldn't work?
Hmm interesting. I think he still would have left, because he belives he knew best. But I think it would have destroyed him even more and he would have come back even quicker than he was planning too (even without the cliff diving).

~1/2 of the infamous Snowgod~
Sarah just needs her Lexily to get her through the day.
Left her ♥ on the Gen Y thread, Rockin' the 3rd person!
:mrgreen:
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

Esme echo wrote::?: If Edward could have read Bella's mind, and he still fell in love with her, do you think he would have left in New Moon? Wouldn't he have seen how much Bella loved him, and known leaving wouldn't work?
What a great question! I never thought about this one before. I truly believe that, No, Edward would not have left if he had known the depth of her feelings for him. Remember, he said (pg 71-72)

"Don't worry. You're human--your memory is no more than a sieve. Time heals all wounds for your kind."

He would have seen that hers never would and that they were at least as strong as his. That she would gladly die for him if that's what he wanted.

No way, he wouldn't have left.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Esme echo wrote: :?: If Edward could have read Bella's mind, and he still fell in love with her, do you think he would have left in New Moon? Wouldn't he have seen how much Bella loved him, and known leaving wouldn't work?

I had to ask myself “what was his reason for his departure in the first place? . . . His ultimate motivation was to give Bella life. To give her, her life as it should have been if his presence was never in close association in the first place. After the initial thought of leaving Bella, I am not sure it mattered much that she loved him because . . . he was, in the end, conclusively right. Furthermore, I am not sure Edward ever doubted Bella’s love for him - just that it was incapable of being proportionate to his love for her. And I consider him to be right. But that’s a whole other topic on its own.

What I have come to understand of Edward’s (wonderful) but complex attributes, is that he doesn’t mind much how Bella perceives his actions - no matter how displeased and exasperated her countenance is (ex. Him twirling fragmental parts of her truck in the dark and feeling unashamed as he should have been in Bella‘s eyes) as long as it is to keep her safe, etc. So following in the same train of thought, Bella’s reaction to him, wasn’t going to be a problem either.

As far as his assumptions being proven right. . . Well, that would require of us to know what those assumptions were . . . 1) Bella could move on and have a normal, simplistic human life, 2) She could be happy without his interference in her life 3) She can have children, and her parents and friends that a life with him would have taken. Jacob. The fact that Bella was able to love someone else, and consider him to be an alternate path her life could have taken (“I saw our whole thing, and I want it bad, Jake, I want it. I want to sit here and never move. I want to love you and make you happy . . .”). Bella could be happy with Jacob. It was just that with Edward, she would have been ultimately happier. But shouldn’t happiness to a degree be enough? What’s the difference between happy and happier? Just that happier constitutes idealistic bliss. And children, and her parents and friends are subsequent if she were to chose Jacob.

so yes, I do think he would have left.

by the way. ESME ECHO! - it's so nice to see you post around here again. I've missed your insightful posts :D
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Esme echo wrote::?: If Edward could have read Bella's mind, and he still fell in love with her, do you think he would have left in New Moon? Wouldn't he have seen how much Bella loved him, and known leaving wouldn't work?
That's a tough one. Probably. Because Edward loved her so much, that he felt that leaving her would 'save' her.
His reasoning is so subjective, because the idea of her being hurt or dying because of his world caused him to not think analytically of what the consequences would be for her and for him.

He was at that moment incapable of thinking objectively. Of realizing that she could be safe with him in his world, so, frightened as he was, he acted irrationally and both suffered for it.

HIs being able to read her mind would not have changed his decision to leave. imo.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

navarre wrote: His reasoning is so subjective, because the idea of her being hurt or dying because of his world caused him to not think analytically of what the consequences would be for her and for him.
I would have to insistent to the contrary. I think it's proven as much in the contents of the books, that this "subjective" evaluation was properly more analyzed than necessary. I feel sometimes that Edward - as his role as "protector" - likes to think and act for both of them. Bella and himself. It's such a complex thought process. I love it.
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

I want to change my answer.... :?

If Edward could read Bella's mind, he would have left loooonnnng before he did. As soon as he saw how she was beginning to feel about him. Probably as soon after the van incident as he could without drawing attention to himself.

BUT! (Isn't there always a "but"?) He would have missed her and started checking in on her and eventually came back and re-entered her life and they would have fallen in love and, -him leaving in NM and crushing her heart- would have never happened. Afterall, that's how destiny works! It always finds a way...
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

malaz wrote:
navarre wrote: His reasoning is so subjective, because the idea of her being hurt or dying because of his world caused him to not think analytically of what the consequences would be for her and for him.
I would have to insistent to the contrary. I think it's proven as much in the contents of the books, that this "subjective" evaluation was properly more analyzed than necessary. I feel sometimes that Edward - as his role as "protector" - likes to think and act for both of them. Bella and himself. It's such a complex thought process. I love it.
Excellent counter-point. I see what you mean. He did analyze things quite subjectively. :lol:
If I am understanding your response.

edward4ever, you are right, too. Edward even stated in New Moon & Eclipse that he would have returned to check on her, to make sure she was happy. He would have waited, too - to see if Jacob would leave Bella(had she chosen Jacob) and then he would have acted on that.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

"Don't worry. You're human--your memory is no more than a sieve. Time heals all wounds for your kind."

totally off topic, but thank you for providing this quote (i didn't look to see who posted it), it is an example of what I was getting at in the XY thread the other day.
Edward's belief that in no way is it possible for Bella to have anything close to sincere emotions for him, because she's human, and fickle, or that's what I kind of see him saying in that quote, anyway.
I love the dude, don't get me wrong, but he has GOT to stop saying crap like that!!
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp