Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Renesmee #2

Post by Angelvamp »

But if their kids don't have the phasing gene, and the reason for imprinting is to pass on that gene, then why does Jacob imprint onto Renesmee? And if vampires trigger the ability to phase, will the children be able to phase before reaching maturity because they trigger themselves? GAH, my eyes are crossing!
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Angelvamp wrote:But if their kids don't have the phasing gene, and the reason for imprinting is to pass on that gene, then why does Jacob imprint onto Renesmee? And if vampires trigger the ability to phase, will the children be able to phase before reaching maturity because they trigger themselves? GAH, my eyes are crossing!
For the second part, I don't think so. I believe the youngest werewolf mentioned in the books is thirteen (or twelve, not sure now). I also doubt they'd trigger themselves, since the trigger (as theorized around here) is activated by an external source (other vampires).

However, considering they'd most likely be near the Cullens, it's likely they'll trigger once they hit puberty.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

The chances are much less likely since it would be only a quarter of who he/she is. If you want to get even more technical, who knows how dominant that gene is. Humans, Vampires and Werewolves don't even have the same number of chromosomes so who knows how that will work. Do they mention how many chromosomes Renesmee has? The other thing I wonder is how Nahuel is venomous but his sisters and Nessie aren't-- if they have a girl her side of the genetics may be completely different than if they had a boy.

It's really beyond all rational science since none of this is possible in the first place. It could be just a shake of the pool... one of their kids may be pale, shapeshift but not sparkle and have a beating heart, another may look more like Jacob but sparkle, be venomous and not be able to shape shift.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Fair enough. :)

The only thing going against that argument is the imprinting. We believe wolves imprint on the person most likely to pass on the wolf gene. If Renesmee wouldn't be able to bear such children, then it doesn't make much sense for Jacob to imprint on her.

It's also possible that any male offspring they have will shapeshift, and any females will be like Renesmee.
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

I think one thing everybody has to remember about Sam's theory about imprinting is that it's a theory. So there could be other reason Jacob imprinted Renesmee even if she can't carry his children.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Pendragon wrote:I think one thing everybody has to remember about Sam's theory about imprinting is that it's a theory. So there could be other reason Jacob imprinted Renesmee even if she can't carry his children.
We realize this. But seeing as there hasn't been any other explanation of why they imprint, we're going with his assumption.
spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

ringswraith wrote:
Pendragon wrote:I think one thing everybody has to remember about Sam's theory about imprinting is that it's a theory. So there could be other reason Jacob imprinted Renesmee even if she can't carry his children.
We realize this. But seeing as there hasn't been any other explanation of why they imprint, we're going with his assumption.
i thought that there was another theory? of course i cant remember it now but i thought that there was one but the "passing of the gene" was just more widely accepted. i could be wrong. but just dont see how jacob and nessie can have kids. i just dont see it as a possibility. however i do think that they will have kids bc stephenie was very vague on the details of renesmee's body. for example the texture of her skin, or rather how hard it is. because if her skin isnt marble like vampires then it should be able to move and change for a child. if it is hard then she shouldnt be about to have a child. like rose
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

also depends if she gets her period. that would be the first thing they'd need to wait for.
spicey16

Post by spicey16 »

thats very true. i assume though since she has a beating heart that she has blood in her viens so that she would?? but that would be awful to have it for eternity so surely SM wouldnt do that to her.. but then she couldnt have kids.. its so frustrating not knowing! lol
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

I was reading some of the posts on the last page and have to bring back up Renesmee's fertility and the chromosomes of humans, vampires, and shapeshifters being different. Also I really like reading everyone's thougths - I liked being forced to think a reason and everyone's ideas all seem to have atleast one plausible aspect, which makes me think more. :)

I recently finished a biological anthropolgy class and it really got me thinking about some of the biology/science of Twilight since we talked a lot about human and hominid biology (ie - chromosome, species, genetics, natural selection).
Although it can only be speculated because SM doesn't give us an info, I believe Renesmee would be infertile. First becauce I feel the distinction in the number of chromosomes would seperate the three groups basically into different species. Which leads to the definition of a species - a group of related individuals which can freely interbreed & produce offspring with the ability to reproduce. If vampires and humans are so different it would make Renesmee exactly like a mule, able to survive but not able to reproduce. It could happen that she is fertile, but it hard for me personally to believe.

However, if we I am going with the line of thought that Renesmee is fertile, then I agree with Amanda Beth. I think Nessie's and Jacob's kids would all be different because of genetic variation. Maybe one is more like Nessie and the other is a shapeshifter like Jacob.
On a tangent -I think those kids would be very messed up when it came to personal identity :lol: How would they tell if they were more human, shapeshifter, vampire, or half-breed. They'd have to come up with a new title because they'd be more mutt/mixed breed than half-breed.
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily