Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Mike Newton

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Auctorita wrote: Why? What did Mike ever do?
Well...if you want to get right down to it, nothing really. He was just being a regular old human boy with a regular human boy mind and emotions, but being in such company of men men like Edward and Jake, it makes him look....completely unappealing.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
gripps
Settled in Forks

Post by gripps »

Auctorita wrote:Why? What did Mike ever do? I always felt so sorry for Mike, Bella treats him like crap and yet he is always willing to be her friend.
Yeah, always thought Mike got kind of the short end of the stick and I was kind of partial to him because he reminds me of a friend of mine. Then, I read the portion of Midnight Sun that has been posted and I stopped feeling sorry for him and decided Edward's feelings were completely justified. Read it if you want to know why.
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

I like Mike. Sort of. I mean, he's really nice and kind to Bella, so I don't really have a reason for disliking him. It bothers me when he oggles her though. Especially when Edward is around. That's annoying, but other than that, Mike is a pretty cool dude.
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Isobelle »

I didnt like Mike because he was so self-centered. I mean, he just could not let the idea of his being with Bella go! Even after she was happily with Edward in Eclipse. I guess, I have no sympathy for someone who creates their own misery. I mean he could have said, ok well, she off limits. Time to move on. Instead he just kept holding on to an idea that would never happen.

I understand that guys are just as shy as girls about dating, but in the part in Midnight Sun where he thinks that just because Bella greeted him warmly she was interested in him was crap! I know guys who think that way and I just want to say, get over it! Just because a girl smiles does not always mean she is interested.

I never liked Mike, I've known too many "mikes" in real life.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

wow. what did mike ever do to y'all??

i think he was just a boy with a crush. nothing self-centered about that. we all day-dream about that cutieface in our science class right? and who hasn't gotten a particularly warm smile from a boy they really liked and been like "wow!"?

the point is, a person should have some sanctuary in their own thoughts.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Isobelle wrote:I didnt like Mike because he was so self-centered. I mean, he just could not let the idea of his being with Bella go! Even after she was happily with Edward in Eclipse. I guess, I have no sympathy for someone who creates their own misery. I mean he could have said, ok well, she off limits. Time to move on. Instead he just kept holding on to an idea that would never happen.
Edward did the exact same thing as Mike, only he was successful. He knew that being with Bella was not a possibility , but he kept holding onto the idea anyways and pursued it. No one claims that Edward is self centered or doesn't know when to quit.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Isobelle »

I realize this. But Bella was interested in Edward. Even in Eclipse Mike still asks Bella if she is doing anything one Friday night. And I know that Jacob did the same thing too. But yet again, Bella wanted Jacob around. I think the character of Mike was exactly what was needed in the book. Like I understand his role in the books, but that doesnt mean I have to like him. I had a very bad experience with a guy who just wouldn't take no for an answer. I guess when reading the interactions Bella had with Mike, reminded me too much of that incident.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

:lol:

This topic makes me laugh. Mike Newton! Jessica's beau! I can't even explain it, but I've just really never liked Mike's character. Wait...that's a lie. In the very beginning of Twilight[before we really knew the Cullens] I thought, "He's such a cutie!", but then his persistantcy bothered me and he just turned into a nuisance. Maybe it's because we knew he never really stood a chance and he was wasting his time. Really, I have no reason to justifiably dislike him, but I do! And knowing that his thoughts are indeed perverse(as was expected :lol: ), there's just no guilt in that notion. But I do love that in New Moon he was one of the first to be back on Bella's side as soon as she "woke up". That was really sweet.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

I always had a soft spot for Mike. Poor guy, he really is just an average teenage boy.

I thought it was interesting how, in MS, Edward noted that even with all the time Mike spent talking with Bella during Biology, he never really got to know her at all. He just created an image of Bella in his mind that he liked, but then when Bella suggested that he go out with Jessica, he immediately replaced Bella with Jessica in his hormonal fantasies.

At the wedding I don't think Mike was just thinking Bella looked pretty. Everyone thought Bella looked pretty. Edward specifically mentioned Mike's "impure thoughts" :lol: I too, would love to have a glimpse at exactly what those thoughts were. ;) Poor Mike. Then he winds up with that snarky Jessica. Too bad he doesn't have a clue what she's really like!
I Want to Believe
Ms.BelleFlanders
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Ms.BelleFlanders »

Mike is a nice guy! Just because he can be compared to Edward, doesn't mean he's not likable.
I missed him on BD!