Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Mike Newton

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

well, in high school a kiss on the cheek means a lot more than it does in the real world. just saying.

i think mike had a really big crush on bella, and crushes, sometimes, are harder to let go than a "love" because at least with a love you had something and then lost it, but with a crush you have to let go of a dream, a fantasy so to speak.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
LeechesRule95
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by LeechesRule95 »

Ummm so I see that alot of people are debating whether the kiss is a friendly thing or just kind of leading mike on thing... Well i think that it was meant to be a friendly PECK... Honestly he knew she loved Edward and the only reason Bella would do such a thing is to thank him for his favor that she asked him for. I believe he probably knew that too. And these days a kiss on the cheek it isnt a big thing at all. In my school girls and boys kiss on the cheek but I mean they all know its a friendly gesture.
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

Mike Newton drives me CRAZY!!! The more you learn about Mike in Midnight Sun (or the rough draft at least) the more annoying he is! He just seems like one of those guys that no matter how many times you tell them you aren't interested in them, they still pursue you with the mistaken belief that they still have a chance! When you hear his thoughts in Midnight Sun, you just want to shout at him, "Bella is not a piece of meat! You do not own her!"
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:well, in high school a kiss on the cheek means a lot more than it does in the real world. just saying.

i think mike had a really big crush on bella, and crushes, sometimes, are harder to let go than a "love" because at least with a love you had something and then lost it, but with a crush you have to let go of a dream, a fantasy so to speak.
YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I'm not sure I felt like a kiss on the cheek was a big deal in high school (but that was 4 years ago). When you read Midnight Sun (or at least what's released right now) you really get to see how much Mike is infatuated with Bella. He daydreams, fantisizes, and thinks about her constantly. I feel bad for him, but he still drives me absolutely crazy! Every time Edward reads his mind in Midnight Sun I want to shout at Mike, "Give it up! She doesn't want you! She is NOT a piece of meat! You do NOT own her!"
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

Poor Mike... :roll:
I Want to Believe
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

slayerchick303 wrote:Every time Edward reads his mind in Midnight Sun I want to shout at Mike, "Give it up! She doesn't want you! She is NOT a piece of meat! You do NOT own her!"
Did he really regard Bella as nothing more than something to look at? I honestly don't know since I couldn't get past the 3rd chapter of Midnight Sun. I always thought that Mike Newton was such a funny character who was treated poorly in the books. :)
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

I don't think Mike regarded Bella exclusively as a piece of meat. I mean, he did lust after her quite a bit, but he also came to care about her very much as a person. I mean, even after she started going out with Edward, he helped her get the job at his parents' store. When she woke up from her post-dump shock, he was one of the few who actually welcomed her back and was willing to resume their friendship as she was ready. Friends like that come few and far between, regardless of his private fantasies.
I Want to Believe
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

I agree glstewart! He may have really wanted to get in her pants, but he also knew how to be a good friend.

There wasn't that much about Mike in Midnight Sun. There was a little bit, but most of it was rather rage-filled. Even if you wanted to know more about Mike's inner thoughts, Edward's perspective would definitely not be the place to do it. He could never see past Mike's little fantasies enough to understand anything else about him. Can't say I blame him. If I knew someone was fantasizing about my SO that way, I don't think I'd take the time to get to know them either. heh.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
slayerchick303

Post by slayerchick303 »

Auctorita wrote:
slayerchick303 wrote:Every time Edward reads his mind in Midnight Sun I want to shout at Mike, "Give it up! She doesn't want you! She is NOT a piece of meat! You do NOT own her!"
Did he really regard Bella as nothing more than something to look at? I honestly don't know since I couldn't get past the 3rd chapter of Midnight Sun. I always thought that Mike Newton was such a funny character who was treated poorly in the books. :)
I don't think he regarded her as just something pretty to look at. The more you read of Midnight Sun (which has been cancelled by the way) the more you see that Mike doesn't really like Bella as much as he wants the object of everbody else's desire. He feels more possessive of her than anything. He's jealous, but you never really hear him think about anything other than how pretty Bella is and how he fantasizes about her. Yes, he doesn't get treated in the greatest way in the books, but you have to admit sometimes he is just annoying!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

I thought Midnight Sun was "postponed indefinitely", not canceled. Has SM decided to completely cancel it now?
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet