Mike Newton

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules

Re: Mike Newton

Postby slayerchick303 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:08 am

Amivera wrote:
glstewart wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?

Creepy.

holdingoutforjacob and slayerchick303 pretty much summed this up.
Mike was encouraged by a wave and a smile, as was Jacob. (If you remember correctly, Bella would give him a smile and he would suddenly fight harder, or become confused because she was misleading him all the time)

A peck on the cheek would most likely encourage him. Perhaps you have a hard time placing yourself in a teenager's shoes...


I think maybe I know too many Mikes in real-life because I understood his character right away. I knew that he'd be one of those guys that was encouraged by the smallest thing and never stopped thinking he had a chance. I found it relatively easy to imagine the events in the Twilight Saga from a teenager's perspective, but I think most women might find it hard to "get" Mike because he's not just a teenager, he's a teenager of the opposite sex. If someone really has a hard time understanding Mike, tell them to go find a teenage boy and then they should begin to understand him better.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
User avatar
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 am
Location: Kissing Edward in a meadow

Re: Mike Newton

Postby Twilove » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:40 am

there is only one word to describe Mike Newton ANNOYING i mean come on the guy couldent take a hint Bella did not like him so i think its safe to say that he was annoying
User avatar
Twilove
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: burning some calories with Edward "wink" "wink" :p

Re: Mike Newton

Postby moon.cherry.twilite » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:43 am

For some reason, I feel that Mike is the source of much comedy in the books, and not much else.
OMDE= Oh My Dazzling Edward
OMHJ= Oh My Hot Jacob
GO HERE: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4364852/1/Y ... h_Twilight

Image
User avatar
moon.cherry.twilite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 pm
Location: Where they don't have release parties.

Re: Mike Newton

Postby glstewart » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 am

Amivera wrote:
glstewart wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Amivera, you kill me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Given your perfect summation, how on earth could Mike think the peck on the cheek was anything other than friendly? In fact, it seems to me that Mike's taking the peck on the cheek as encouragement is coming all from us. Nowhere in the book does he seem to think it's anything else! :?

Creepy.

holdingoutforjacob and slayerchick303 pretty much summed this up.
Mike was encouraged by a wave and a smile, as was Jacob. (If you remember correctly, Bella would give him a smile and he would suddenly fight harder, or become confused because she was misleading him all the time)

A peck on the cheek would most likely encourage him. Perhaps you have a hard time placing yourself in a teenager's shoes...


What's creepy?

Actually, I remember with perfect clarity what it's like to be a teenager. And I still don't think Mike is dumb enough to misread a peck on the cheek as anything other than friendly as Bella is jumping on the bike with Jacob and running off with him.
I Want to Believe
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Roaming the woods with Jake

Re: Mike Newton

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 am

well i AM a teenager and i KNOW that while mike probably didn't think it meant she liked him MORE than jacob he definitely probably thought she liked him at least a little, therefore giving him hope. it's amazing how little it takes for the heart to hold hope. especially with a crush, as those are hardest to let go.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Mike Newton

Postby Amivera » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:01 am

The number of smilies laughing in synchrony was creepy.

I think there's a certain point where you need to separate the character from the author and attribute some of his annoying, endless pursuit of Bella to SMeyer. All the boys chasing after Bella seemed to unrealistic to me— serious wishful thinking going on right there.

I mean, if they had been interested in her for a few weeks, two or three months at the most, fine, that's realistic. The fact that Mike pursued her for *years* was wishful thinking...

Very true, holdingoutforjacob.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
User avatar
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Mike Newton

Postby glstewart » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:17 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:well i AM a teenager and i KNOW that while mike probably didn't think it meant she liked him MORE than jacob he definitely probably thought she liked him at least a little, therefore giving him hope. it's amazing how little it takes for the heart to hold hope. especially with a crush, as those are hardest to let go.



Well...if you say so.


Amivera: Sorry if I creeped you out, but that statement you made about Bella running off with Jacob struck me as particularly funny. It still makes me smile. :) Also, Mike wasn't pursuing her for *years*, it was more like 13 or 14 months. And Bella did like Mike -- alot -- she just didn't want to go out with him. But I guess you're right about a crush hanging onto hope...it never ends. Especially when the crush is unmet.
I Want to Believe
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Roaming the woods with Jake

Re: Mike Newton

Postby moon sidhe » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:24 pm

I still remember a guy I knew in high school saying, "I just assume that all girls are into me unless they explicitly state otherwise." I remember thinking it was utterly ridiculous at the time, but now I actually admire the sheer chutzpah. Kind of reminds me of Mike. :)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
User avatar
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:09 am

Re: Mike Newton

Postby holdingoutforjacob » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:18 pm

that right there made my day. that is SO funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

creeped out by that amivera? lol.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
User avatar
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Mike Newton

Postby Amivera » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 pm

moon sidhe wrote:I still remember a guy I knew in high school saying, "I just assume that all girls are into me unless they explicitly state otherwise." I remember thinking it was utterly ridiculous at the time, but now I actually admire the sheer chutzpah. Kind of reminds me of Mike. :)


Haha! I have a friend who's extremely cocky like that. I think he exaggerates it, though. XD

Yes, holdingoutforjacob. You have me hyperventilating right now. :cry:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
User avatar
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sparkling in the Sun

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests