Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
theowlette
Settled in Forks

Re: Renesmee

Post by theowlette »

emmett_<3 wrote: BUT i hate the idea of her. I just don't think that Edward and Bella should've had a child. It doesn't fit, and it doesn't make sense.
I agree with you... it's not that I don't like her character, but the series captured me because of the love (or obsession) between Bella and Edward. It was like being 15 again (no offense to any 15-year olds!) and those butterflies in the stomach when your crush walks by. Then there was a baby, and though she was the love and center of everyone's lives, it took away from that passion. I don't know. Maybe in, like, book 7 (if there was one), a baby would be more fitting. I liked the character, I liked the book, but I'm not sure it really fit. I was slightly disappointed.
livelikexMUSiC
Settled in Forks

Post by livelikexMUSiC »

theowlette wrote:
emmett_<3 wrote: BUT i hate the idea of her. I just don't think that Edward and Bella should've had a child. It doesn't fit, and it doesn't make sense.
I agree with you... it's not that I don't like her character, but the series captured me because of the love (or obsession) between Bella and Edward. It was like being 15 again (no offense to any 15-year olds!) and those butterflies in the stomach when your crush walks by. Then there was a baby, and though she was the love and center of everyone's lives, it took away from that passion. I don't know. Maybe in, like, book 7 (if there was one), a baby would be more fitting. I liked the character, I liked the book, but I'm not sure it really fit. I was slightly disappointed.
Hm... I never really thought of it like that.

But now that I look at it, yes, I agree with you. I loved Renesmee as a character. Whenever she was in a scene, I was more than willing to read it. But... she really didn't fit. There was just something about her character that seemed like it was forced into the book... like she didn't really belong and the story would have progressed fine without her, but somehow she was shoved in there and managed to push her way into the plot, changing everything around.

I don't know... but I still loved Renesmee as a character. She was adorable.
"So thank you for holding my hand, and thanks for letting me go."
kimmeygirl
Settled in Forks

Post by kimmeygirl »

I think the way you see Renesmee depends on whether you are a parent or not. While Bella was pregnant and dying I thought that she should get rid of the baby because I do not understand the bond a mother would have with her baby, even if it was killing her. If I was a mother I would understand why it was neccessary for Bella to do that. Everyone probably didn't feel this way, though. It's just a theory.

I also loved Renesmee because she was able to bring the werewolves, Cullens and the non-cullen vampires together. Everyone loved her :) I'm just wondering if that camaraderie will last after she isn't in any danger because everyone will still love her.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think i was so shocked at BD in general that i didn't really have so many emotions about it....or maybe that was the writing. anyway, i certainly don't hate her, i even like her.

but i don't think she's all that dynamic. i think she's cute. but not dynamic. she doesn't talk enough to be. which is why i'm opposed to the continuation of the twilight saga being from her point of view. it should be from jacob's.

well, i think the way you see bella's decision during her pregnancy has a lot to do with whether or not you are a mother. i could understand why she did what she did, but i couldn't really sympathize or empathize, simply because i just couldn't know what i would do in that situation, having never been a mother.

i don't think, though, that it necessarily changes your opinion of nessie as a character. or it shouldn't.

i don't necessarily think that she was "able to bring them together" i mean, it's not like she said wolves aren't out to get vamps, vamps aren't out to get wolves, or made anyone see the light or anything. the cullens brought everyone together, in order to protect nessie, and all of them. yeah, they all loved her, but they didn't feel that way about each other.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
chessley_meyers
Wandering Through Town

Post by chessley_meyers »

It took me a while to get used to the idea of Renesmee, but once I thought about it, I really liked her character. I think that her side of the story would be very interesting to read, cause I don't think she's as cute and adorable but more intuitive. I hope that Stephenie continues with her story because I would love to read about her when she's older.
break4jake
Wandering Through Town

Post by break4jake »

I love renesmee. She's very smart and mature and cute.

When i first found out Bella was pregnant I was like :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o
You. Got. Food. In. My. Hair. - Rosalie Hale
Meteora
Settled in Forks

Post by Meteora »

I didn't dislike Renesmee, but I thought there might have been an issue with having Bella's daughter be a character in a story told from Bella's perspective. Obviously, every mother thinks that their baby is perfect, and Bella is no exception. And to me, Renesmee became kind of the ultimate Mary Sue--we just kept hearing about how exceptional and special and talented and beautiful she was and how everyone loved her so, so much and so on and so forth. To me, it wasn't all that interesting. This is the child of Edward and Bella, both of whom are stubborn to a fault and who at times are so sure about the right thing to do that they end up making large errors that hurt other people in their quests to achieve it. I would have liked to see Renesmee end up with a trait like that, something that frustrated people or annoyed them or just anything to show that she was flawed like the rest of them. Obviously, being flawed people hasn't decreased the rest of the characters' love for each other. I often find in stories that when I'm constantly hit over the head by how perfect and wonderful someone is and how I should love, love, love him or her, it makes me feel the opposite. My favorite characters tend to be the grayer ones who are three-dimensional and have a variety of traits, both positive and negative. I just was not drawn in by Renesmee, and at times I felt Ms. Meyer was trying too hard to make us like her.
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

I think Nessie is the best of both world's(no pun intended)

Like she'll be super-fast and strong and drink blood, but she totally has the option of eating human food.

I wonder what child could play her in a movie(or children since she grows so fast they would need more than one little kid) .....insane acting skills

anyways she's a very nice addition to the story and i can't wait for SM to continue the story from other pplz points of view

will she go to school? probably not since she grows way to fast it'd be suspicious. Will she have human friends come play with her at home? It could work since the CUllens will put on a charade that they are normal

I wonder if Nessie even knows that she's not normal(she probably does)
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

Nikkinik wrote:It upsets me when people say they found Renesmee annoying or useless. I think she's a wonderful character and she's so interesting with her abilites as well as her physical traits. She also brings out the best in every character, in a way. The way she makes everyone's hearts melt is just too darn cute. :D
I agree with you Nikki. I thought that Nessie's character was described beautifully. I think she's a brilliant little one and deserves more positive feedback. Hooray for Nessie! I also think it's great how everybody adores her-it shows that not everybody is as "cold-hearted" as they seem to be.

-dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
Meteora
Settled in Forks

Post by Meteora »

Just a quick clarification--I think Nessie is probably a great character and I can't wait to hear more about her from her own perspective. But I think that because we only heaad about her through her adoring mother, what was probably a well-rounded and interesting character became a bit one-dimensional.