Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Edward Cullen #5

Post by moon sidhe »

The Dark Knight wrote: Edward's prior life to Bella...what was it like? What do you think his pursued are? How did he pass his time? What are his drives?
Well, aside from his little vigilante slip up (which by the way I think is brought to life amazingly well by Pastiche Pen in her FF, "If Love Could Light a Candle"), I think he spent most of his time studying and reading and listening to music. We know he went to med school several times. We know that he speaks several languages. We know that he composes. I suspect he spent most of his time learning, be it about the human body, or how to speak Hungarian, or how to drive a boat. His major drive, I think, was some combination of relieving his boredom and wanting to make himself a better person, and most likely trying to make up for the fact that he considered himself a monster in whatever ways he could.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:Hmm. I don't remember an overabundance of scenery, but then it's been awhile since I saw it.

But you're right - the script could have been wayyyy better, and that's nothing to do with budget.
So true. For example, The color purple was a very low budget film but they a wonderful job keeping it within the content of the book.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I've never seen that, but I know I should.... but The Princess Bride was made on a relatively small budget, but with an excellent script and cast. Script and cast are what make or break a movie.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

The same screen writer is doing all the Twilight movies, Melissa Rosenberg. So we can see if its a bad script or a director doing things that didn't belong there. As to the scenery if you see the movie and just time all the scenery with no dialog you will be surprised with what you get.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Hmm well next time I watch I'll see if I notice.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

diane771 wrote:The same screen writer is doing all the Twilight movies, Melissa Rosenberg. So we can see if its a bad script or a director doing things that didn't belong there. As to the scenery if you see the movie and just time all the scenery with no dialog you will be surprised with what you get.
You get a lot of scenery shots when you have to tot another drag...That reminds me of Heavy metal the movie, "Nose dive." But we digress...all to easily :D

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Ok, I have a new Edward question partly inspired by my new fav fic. What do you think about Edward's vigilante period? Why do you think he chose to do it? Does it lessen your respect for him? And as an ultra theoretical bonus question, how good do you think he was at deciding who deserved to die? Do you think his decisions were swayed by his blood lust?
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

moon sidhe wrote:Ok, I have a new Edward question partly inspired by my new fav fic. What do you think about Edward's vigilante period? Why do you think he chose to do it? Does it lessen your respect for him? And as an ultra theoretical bonus question, how good do you think he was at deciding who deserved to die? Do you think his decisions were swayed by his blood lust?
1) My major problem with his little vigilante period is that he stopped. Bad guys taking out other bad guys is a bonus for everyone...

2) He's rebelling against himself more than doing good. What I mean by this is he can't hurt himself and teh monster he has become so the next best thing is to hurt other monsters...

3) It is likely he used his gut instint to pick out who's the bad guy with his ability to read minds as a truth test. He can tell who is really bad and who is not quiet there. So he would take out other murderers, rapist, child molesters and nasty beast. Like I said before, he should not have stopped, our society could use someone doing this...

4) Well of course his bloodlust played a role in the beginning but I suspected his hatred of himself was more a driving factor to the course of action that he choose. He does not want to be a monster but he knows he is.

Adding another question to the mix, Why did he stop?

moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

The Dark Knight wrote:
1) My major problem with his little vigilante period is that he stopped. Bad guys taking out other bad guys is a bonus for everyone...
Haha. Well, from a fictional stand point it's definitely fun. But from a real life stand point...? I think it's a bit more questionable.
The Dark Knight wrote:2) He's rebelling against himself more than doing good. What I mean by this is he can't hurt himself and teh monster he has become so the next best thing is to hurt other monsters...
Yeah, I agree. I think that's an interesting observation. Do you think he was rebelling more against himself or rebelling against Carlisle? Do you think one was more dominant in his decision?
The Dark Knight wrote:3) It is likely he used his gut instint to pick out who's the bad guy with his ability to read minds as a truth test. He can tell who is really bad and who is not quiet there. So he would take out other murderers, rapist, child molesters and nasty beast. Like I said before, he should not have stopped, our society could use someone doing this...
I think it's pretty likely he used his mind.
The Dark Knight wrote:4) Well of course his bloodlust played a role in the beginning but I suspected his hatred of himself was more a driving factor to the course of action that he choose. He does not want to be a monster but he knows he is.
I think questions three and four kind of go together. Let me clarify. What I was trying to ask is whether you think he could be swayed to kill someone who was maybe on the borderline of "deserving" it (whatever that may be, talk about walking into sticky moral territory) because they smelled extra tasty?
The Dark Knight wrote:Adding another question to the mix, Why did he stop?
Hmm, why did he stop. I imagine he got lonely. He missed his family. And he came to the realization that it was wrong to play God. I imagine it was some combination of all of those.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Cut in Below
moon sidhe wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Haha. Well, from a fictional stand point it's definitely fun. But from a real life stand point...? I think it's a bit more questionable.

***No question here. Evil exist because good men lack the courage to wipe it out.
The Dark Knight wrote:2) He's rebelling against himself more than doing good. What I mean by this is he can't hurt himself and teh monster he has become so the next best thing is to hurt other monsters...
Yeah, I agree. I think that's an interesting observation. Do you think he was rebelling more against himself or rebelling against Carlisle? Do you think one was more dominant in his decision?

***At first he was rebelling against Carlisle and the bloodlust, but as his moral issues with killing came into play and he started to really hate the monster he had become that he ten rebelled againts it...1st 2 years Carlisle last 8 years himself..
The Dark Knight wrote:3) It is likely he used his gut instint to pick out who's the bad guy with his ability to read minds as a truth test. He can tell who is really bad and who is not quiet there. So he would take out other murderers, rapist, child molesters and nasty beast. Like I said before, he should not have stopped, our society could use someone doing this...
I think it's pretty likely he used his mind.
The Dark Knight wrote:4) Well of course his bloodlust played a role in the beginning but I suspected his hatred of himself was more a driving factor to the course of action that he choose. He does not want to be a monster but he knows he is.
I think questions three and four kind of go together. Let me clarify. What I was trying to ask is whether you think he could be swayed to kill someone who was maybe on the borderline of "deserving" it (whatever that may be, talk about walking into sticky moral territory) because they smelled extra tasty?

***Tasty hummm, well I would not have put it past him to have taken an innocient during this time if they had caught him on the right day. That being said, tasty or not his desire for Justice has little to do with their smell...bad guys usually smell bad too. It's the poison they have within them coming out...
The Dark Knight wrote:Adding another question to the mix, Why did he stop?
Hmm, why did he stop. I imagine he got lonely. He missed his family. And he came to the realization that it was wrong to play God. I imagine it was some combination of all of those.

*** Do you think there are deeper drives than that?