Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Jacob Black Past, Present and Future

Post by ringswraith »

DesiringJB wrote:
blue-eyed-bella wrote:Actually, Billy got in a wheelchair because of diabetes. But yeah, Jacob's mom was killed in a car accident.
Really? :shock: Where did you get that? Is that in the books? I dont recall..
The part about Billy was in one of the Personal Correspondence sections. And I quote:

Q: What happened to Billy Black that he can’t walk anymore?

A: He has diabetes, which caused nerve damage in his feet and legs. He hasn’t had to have anything amputated yet, but he’ll never walk again.
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Jacob Black #2

Post by Nena »

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Jacob as an individual.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Jacob Black

Post by amethyst »

Jazz Girl wrote:t isn't specifically stated that they have to imprint on the strongest female around, but when Leah is talking to Jacob in Breaking Dawn, telling him about being a "genetic dead end", she talks about that being one of the reasons she is still so bitter about Sam's imprinting on Emily. Going off of the theory that the imprinting is designed to create stronger wolves, wouldn't it make sense that she would be a better match for Sam then Emily, given that she too is a wolf? So, from that you could make the leap that wolves should imprint on the stongest female to pass on the best genes. It's not necessary that she be the strongest to bear children, but looking at it evolutionarily, then yes, it makes sense to mix the strongest genes. That's how I read Tonya's post.
But Jazz Girl… the reason Sam hadn’t imprinted upon Leah wasn’t because she is genetic dead end like she herself assumed. I believe it was because Leah has the chance to imprint herself. The chaos that would ensue in result of isn’t desirable. Sam imprinted upon Leah, but Leah is imprinted upon someone else. The “adoration and affection” that Sam would have towards Leah wouldn’t be capable of making her love him when she herself belongs to someone else, in a you’re-the-center-of-my-world-what-holds-me-here type of inflexible attraction.
There would be no reason for Sam to imprint upon her when she herself has that possibility as well, then the very reasoning for why imprinting exists wouldn’t apply to them. They wouldn’t be able “to pass on the gene” or “to make stronger wolves” if they are not together. After the on goings in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn--I am not so sure I believe that Imprinting is as rare as their Legends claim...

I don’t understand how Renesmee is stronger than both vampire and werewolf. She seems even weaker and softer because of the human in her. I am actually still quite confused as to how Imprinting calculates the person whose perfect match for the imprinter--I realize it is a subconscious calculation. But the very concept or reasoning behind it seems to have no bearing on who the imprinter actually imprints upon. Out of the six billion people in the world, their “perfect match” happens to live across the street, for all of the imprinters so far. It’s much too convenient. And it just seems to me like "Which two people look good together" on Stephenie’s part. I think it worked for Emily and Sam, their relationship seems wonderful. I love them. And I believe the reason she made Quil imprint on Claire, a toddler, was to brace us for what is coming in Breaking Dawn--she herself confirmed that she plastered many hints and clues all over Eclipse.

But then again, I definitely see your point Jazz Girl . . . from an evolutionary perspective, the survival of the species might be where imprinting is concerned. As the species survive their genetic codes becomes stronger in result of many DNA mutations and such . . . I considered that once, a while ago. That's why I believe the werewolves as large as they are. They become stronger with every new generation but I don't understand why, in Jacob's case that would require an entire different different species to be thrown into the mix.
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

amethyst wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:t isn't specifically stated that they have to imprint on the strongest female around, but when Leah is talking to Jacob in Breaking Dawn, telling him about being a "genetic dead end", she talks about that being one of the reasons she is still so bitter about Sam's imprinting on Emily. Going off of the theory that the imprinting is designed to create stronger wolves, wouldn't it make sense that she would be a better match for Sam then Emily, given that she too is a wolf? So, from that you could make the leap that wolves should imprint on the stongest female to pass on the best genes. It's not necessary that she be the strongest to bear children, but looking at it evolutionarily, then yes, it makes sense to mix the strongest genes. That's how I read Tonya's post.
But Jazz Girl… the reason Sam hadn’t imprinted upon Leah wasn’t because she is genetic dead end like she herself assumed. I believe it was because Leah has the chance to imprint herself. The chaos that would ensue in result of isn’t desirable. Sam imprinted upon Leah, but Leah is imprinted upon someone else. The “adoration and affection” that Sam would have towards Leah wouldn’t be capable of making her love him when she herself belongs to someone else, in a you’re-the-center-of-my-world-what-holds-me-here type of inflexible attraction.
There would be no reason for Sam to imprint upon her when she herself has that possibility as well, then the very reasoning for why imprinting exists wouldn’t apply to them. They wouldn’t be able “to pass on the gene” or “to make stronger wolves” if they are not together. After the on goings in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn--I am not so sure I believe that Imprinting is as rare as their Legends claim...
Amethyst~ you're a bloody genius!!! I hadn't thought about it that way at all. No, I don't think Leah's a genetic dead end at all, just that she wasnt' meant to be with Sam, regardless of how much it hurts. Just that that's how she saw it. But, you are seriously brilliant in that conclusion!! *stands and applauds*
amethyst wrote:I don’t understand how Renesmee is stronger than both vampire and werewolf. She seems even weaker and softer because of the human in her.
I don't think Ness is stronger than both. I think Ness and Jake's kids will be stronger than both, the combination of the wolf and vampire. No, Ness is still too much of her mother. While she'll be preternaturally strong because of Edward's vampiric dna, the human in her will still make her vulnerable. Hence Jake the protector. Though, we still don't know exactly how much Bella she got in the mix. So, that might be an interesting piece of the puzzle should SM decide to solve it for us.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Also the theory of imprinting on a strong female. What happened to Billy was he a shape shifter, I don't think he was, so it skips a generation, and we know nothing about Jacobs Grandma and his own mother. It sounds like a good theory,ut could it just be a theory from people who read the book?
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

diane771 wrote:Also the theory of imprinting on a strong female. What happened to Billy was he a shape shifter, I don't think he was, so it skips a generation, and we know nothing about Jacobs Grandma and his own mother. It sounds like a good theory,ut could it just be a theory from people who read the book?
Billy, as a direct descendant of Ephraim Black, would have been a carrier of the gene. Hence where Jacob inheirited it from. It didn't skip a generation. But, because there were no vampires to trigger the gene, he never phased. It was the return of the Cullens that triggered Sam, Jake and the rest of the current pack. And, because he never phased and the gene wasn't triggered, I suppose it can be assumed that he fell in love with Jake's mom the old fashioned way. We don't really know anything there. Just that she died in a car accident. The "passing on strength and continuing the pack" theories come from both Sam and Carlisle.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Jazz Girl wrote:
diane771 wrote:Also the theory of imprinting on a strong female. What happened to Billy was he a shape shifter, I don't think he was, so it skips a generation, and we know nothing about Jacobs Grandma and his own mother. It sounds like a good theory,ut could it just be a theory from people who read the book?
Billy, as a direct descendant of Ephraim Black, would have been a carrier of the gene. Hence where Jacob inheirited it from. It didn't skip a generation. But, because there were no vampires to trigger the gene, he never phased. It was the return of the Cullens that triggered Sam, Jake and the rest of the current pack. And, because he never phased and the gene wasn't triggered, I suppose it can be assumed that he fell in love with Jake's mom the old fashioned way. We don't really know anything there. Just that she died in a car accident. The "passing on strength and continuing the pack" theories come from both Sam and Carlisle.
Interesting, now how does Leah fit in?
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

diane771 wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:
The same way the rest of the pack does. One of her ancestors was a member of Ephraim's pack, so the gene has been passed down through her family to both her and Seth. Only she's a female, which they did not expect. A woman had never phased or joined the pack until Leah. That's where all the additional bitterness comes from. When Sam imprinted on Emily, it could be assumed that Emily was a better candidate to strengthen and continue the pack in having children with Sam. But, when Leah phased and joined the pack, she was additionally torn because, in her mind, wouldn't she, as a wolf herself, be a better candidate to strengthen and continue the pack with Sam? Unitl she realized that she was no longer having her period. Combine the lack of monthly cycle with the fact that she is the only ever female wolf and she sees herself as more of a genetic dead end.

But, Amethyst, in his genius points out that she too might be destined to imprint on someone. Someone other than Sam. So, we just don't know yet.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Jazz Girl wrote:
diane771 wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:
The same way the rest of the pack does. One of her ancestors was a member of Ephraim's pack, so the gene has been passed down through her family to both her and Seth. Only she's a female, which they did not expect. A woman had never phased or joined the pack until Leah. That's where all the additional bitterness comes from. When Sam imprinted on Emily, it could be assumed that Emily was a better candidate to strengthen and continue the pack in having children with Sam. But, when Leah phased and joined the pack, she was additionally torn because, in her mind, wouldn't she, as a wolf herself, be a better candidate to strengthen and continue the pack with Sam? Unitl she realized that she was no longer having her period. Combine the lack of monthly cycle with the fact that she is the only ever female wolf and she sees herself as more of a genetic dead end.

But, Amethyst, in his genius points out that she too might be destined to imprint on someone. Someone other than Sam. So, we just don't know yet.
Its quite interesting especially Leah
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

I'd like to bring up a topic I've always wondered.
I've always wondered what Jacob's mom must've thought of the whole "myth" thing and if she knew. Did the wives of the last genaration know anything? I mean it kind of is unrelevant but still keeps me curious...

JG, I can't say anything because you stated it all too perfectly. :lol: