Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #3

Post by Angelvamp »

The Dark Knight wrote:Ok, I agree we do have a great deal of fun with sports, cars, hunting and war. My wife has used the word obsession a few times when it comes to these area's. I guess it better to say in the area that Bella is gushing on about we seem to lack the descriptive ability...they say that women use at least 3 times the amount of words than men...any thoughts?
Women are, by nature, nurturers. That makes them better, or at least more effusive, communicators. I think that I read somewhere that women are hard-wired to be romance junkies. That they respond to the hormones associated for love (I don't remember exactly what they are, endorphins?) differently than men do. But I wouldn't pigeonhole all men into that category, that would be unfair. Anything that is of interest to the person is bound to see much more attention to the details than something less appealing. Again, a good example from hubbie: Good looking girl vs cherry '65 Impala, which does he stare and drool at? Which one is going to receive the most attention to detail? And who's the lucky person that gets to hear about all those details? :lol: I guess I should consider myself lucky. The point is, women seem more interested in romantic encounters, whether their own or not, and are hard-wired to respond in that way. Interest = more attention to detail.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

It's not a difference in whether they notice or catalogue those things internally, I think. It's a matter of expressing them, and how others react to those expressions. As both of you said, when men start gushing about cars or sports or the other things that our society accepts men to gush over, than it is perfectly fine. But, if a man were to, say at his weekly poker game with his 5 buddies, start rhapsodizing (wonderful word, btw) about the woman he met the weekend before and how her eyes sparkled like sapphires in a river or her hair smelled like strawberries and cinnamon, or her skin felt like warm sunshine, honestly, tell me what the reaction would be? We know it. Every man in that room, down to a one, would tear the mickey out of him, needle and make fun if he were to use such language. And so they don't. In stead, he would walk in talking about the killer blonde with the great rack who drives a souped up GTO. That would get high fives and whistles of approval. What we see and think are often very different from what we say, or what we are allowed to say.

We had this discussion on the Edward forum a few weeks ago. There was a blog posting roughly two months ago by a group called the Normal Mormon Husbands. The post talked all about the reason women related so well to Edward and concluded that it is because he speaks and thinks like a 30-something housewife, because he is written by one. They took excerpts from Midnight Sun, thoughts and phrases from Edward's mouth, and compared them to how "regular modern day man" would think or say the same thing. Essentially, their conclusion was that today's man doesn't and shouldn't talk like that. Neandrathals(speaking about the bloggers, not men in general of course)

But it is perfectly acceptable, celebrated even, how much Bella sees and notices about Edward, how she expresses it. So I don't think it is that one notices more than the other, or catalogues more than the other. It's just that it is far far more acceptable for women to speak that way and about those things than men, for Bella to do so versus Edward.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I agree with Jazz Girl. We men have just as much capacity to notice all the minutiae as Bella does in Edward. It's a matter of actually putting it into words- and society tends to frown upon men using such "flowery" turns of phrase.

If I were so lucky as to find the one for me, I say to hell with society. :D
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

ringswraith wrote:I agree with Jazz Girl. We men have just as much capacity to notice all the minutiae as Bella does in Edward. It's a matter of actually putting it into words- and society tends to frown upon men using such "flowery" turns of phrase.

If I were so lucky as to find the one for me, I say to hell with society. :D
And that my friend is why you are a keeper, and your destined one is a lucky lucky Bella. :D
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Jazz Girl wrote:It's not a difference in whether they notice or catalogue those things internally, I think. It's a matter of expressing them, and how others react to those expressions. As both of you said, when men start gushing about cars or sports or the other things that our society accepts men to gush over, than it is perfectly fine. But, if a man were to, say at his weekly poker game with his 5 buddies, start rhapsodizing (wonderful word, btw) about the woman he met the weekend before and how her eyes sparkled like sapphires in a river or her hair smelled like strawberries and cinnamon, or her skin felt like warm sunshine, honestly, tell me what the reaction would be? We know it. Every man in that room, down to a one, would tear the mickey out of him, needle and make fun if he were to use such language. And so they don't. In stead, he would walk in talking about the killer blonde with the great rack who drives a souped up GTO. That would get high fives and whistles of approval. What we see and think are often very different from what we say, or what we are allowed to say.

We had this discussion on the Edward forum a few weeks ago. There was a blog posting roughly two months ago by a group called the Normal Mormon Husbands. The post talked all about the reason women related so well to Edward and concluded that it is because he speaks and thinks like a 30-something housewife, because he is written by one. They took excerpts from Midnight Sun, thoughts and phrases from Edward's mouth, and compared them to how "regular modern day man" would think or say the same thing. Essentially, their conclusion was that today's man doesn't and shouldn't talk like that. Neandrathals(speaking about the bloggers, not men in general of course)

But it is perfectly acceptable, celebrated even, how much Bella sees and notices about Edward, how she expresses it. So I don't think it is that one notices more than the other, or catalogues more than the other. It's just that it is far far more acceptable for women to speak that way and about those things than men, for Bella to do so versus Edward.
I must be one to toss back then. It would not occur to me to use the descriptive verbiage you used above, not in the least. As you might guess I do have a wide arsenal of verbiage not to be dump here but I devolve for you...That being said, I agree with the Normal Mormon Husbands about a great many thing they said. Most of it is down right funny to me.

The everyday men that they are talking about are bending to social norms as do women. It's just life. Like it or not that is the way things are. Are there exceptions, of course, is Edward one, maybe...we'll never know...he was written by a 30-something women and not a man. So we will never be able to know what would have been different had he come to life through someone else. :lol:

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Bringing this from another Thread...

Girls night out? Bella, Alice and Rosalie hit the clubs on a mission to have more fun than any girl in history? What would that look like? Anyone???

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

The Dark Knight wrote:Bringing this from another Thread...

Girls night out? Bella, Alice and Rosalie hit the clubs on a mission to have more fun than any girl in history? What would that look like? Anyone???

Well designer clothes that Alice pick out. Rosalie would have to have the sexiest one, Alice she would where something really show stopping when she was up dancing with all the men. Bella she would be standing there like a light outside attracting bugs. around it. And Nessie would be going up to all the men with reminders of who was at home waiting for them.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

diane771 wrote:

Well designer clothes that Alice pick out. Rosalie would have to have the sexiest one, Alice she would where something really show stopping when she was up dancing with all the men. Bella she would be standing there like a light outside attracting bugs. around it. And Nessie would be going up to all the men with reminders of who was at home waiting for them.
There's always a killjoy...Love to see Alice do her thing...I hope they keep her in the leather outfit described in the book at the graduation party...

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

The Dark Knight wrote:
diane771 wrote:

There's always a killjoy...Love to see Alice do her thing...I hope they keep her in the leather outfit described in the book at the graduation party...
Alice always looks great but wait we need the car I know her car only holds 2 I think, so a limo a hummer Limo I see them all the time, strange looking don't knew what they look like inside but it would be something I could picture Emment trying to take off road while waiting for the girls to come out.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

diane771 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
diane771 wrote:

Alice always looks great but wait we need the car I know her car only holds 2 I think, so a limo a hummer Limo I see them all the time, strange looking don't knew what they look like inside but it would be something I could picture Emment trying to take off road while waiting for the girls to come out.
So a Hummer Limo, Party clothes and killer looks...What would the girls be up to???