Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by December »

How about: Songs That Remind You of Twilight? I'll leave your post here so that other Edward fans are alerted to it, but why not repost it there for further discussion?
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

una wrote: So back to Edward, I wonder what he heard during the battle in Breaking Dawn, not just from Aro, Marcus and Cauis, but from the rest of the Volturi guards, the wives and the witnesses. Do you think he tuned most of it out and just focused on Aro?
I think he might have skimmed the others thoughts as well, but most likely focused on Aro overall. Man, there were probably a good 120 Vampires floating around that field, probably even more, I would've gone bonkers if I were Edward.

The one thing that would suck about Aro and his reading Edwards mind out of all the others first is all that intimacy between Bella and him is now completely exposed to Aro, not to mention all those passing thoughts of everyone else flowing through Edwards mind. Not only that, all the wolves thoughts and secrets also exposed. It's like there is no privacy for anyone once that contact was made.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

AyaDiefair wrote:
una wrote: So back to Edward, I wonder what he heard during the battle in Breaking Dawn, not just from Aro, Marcus and Cauis, but from the rest of the Volturi guards, the wives and the witnesses. Do you think he tuned most of it out and just focused on Aro?
I think he might have skimmed the others thoughts as well, but most likely focused on Aro overall. Man, there were probably a good 120 Vampires floating around that field, probably even more, I would've gone bonkers if I were Edward.

The one thing that would suck about Aro and his reading Edwards mind out of all the others first is all that intimacy between Bella and him is now completely exposed to Aro, not to mention all those passing thoughts of everyone else flowing through Edwards mind. Not only that, all the wolves thoughts and secrets also exposed. It's like there is no privacy for anyone once that contact was made.

That was one of the main reasons why I found the way that Breaking Dawn ended to be so unsatisfactory and maddening. True, Edward only catches the current thoughts of those around him, so what he does is limited in comparison to Aro. But Edward is also highly intelligent and of course has that vampire photographic memory, so he is able to draw a lot from what he does pick-up in the thoughts of others, and then- Aro gets it all. When he touched Edward, he would have known everything. EVERYTHING! Let's think about that for a second.

Aro got Edward's suspicions and thoughts as to where Alice/Jasper may have run off to, and why Edward thought they did it. Aro got every thought and secret about the wolves. Aro got every last detail about Nessie, about Bella's shield and self-control. He knew about Charile's knowing but not really knowing. (And that in my opinion would lead me to believe they would use Charlie as leverage against Bella, if Aro wanted Bella badly enough- which he did.) Not to mention as una pointed, out Edward would have been privy to many of the witnesses secrets, thoughts, feelings, and thereby risked Aro and the Volturi having future ammunition to use against them as well.

So, to touch Aro and then let him go??? I believe Edward only allowed it because it truly appeared to be a do or die situation; Us or them. He never would have done that if he assumed that Aro would be walking away with all of that information to threaten his family again another time. In my mind, he either gave up hope that they would walk away unscathed, or he had no doubt that Aro would have to die.

Carlisle's former friendship aside, why in the world did Edward allow Aro to walk away?? I get why SM may have wanted it to play that way, but it just seems to go against Edward's character and the entire Cullen family's sense of self-preservation.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Personally I believe that Edward allowed it because there was nothing that Aro would find that he could use against the Cullens and their side of the equation.

Aro wanted to know about Renesmee, and he got everything they knew about her.

Aro wanted to know about Bella, and he got everything they knew about her. Yes, the intimate stuff as well- but you have to figure Aro's also getting every bit of intimacy that Edward's witnessed. (Wonder how many images of demolished houses Aro got out of it...)

The werewolves are quite safe. For one they're not real Children of the Moon (as Caius feared). For another they exist to protect the tribal lands, and not much more than that. It's not like they're going to go on a crusade to eliminate vamps all over the world. Any other knowledge he gleaned from that contact would likely be treated as just that- knowledge (owing to Aro's love for collecting things).

As far as Charlie's concerned, he doesn't know that they're really vampires- just something odd. And he doesn't care to learn any more about them. Not quite enough for the Volturi to declare a breach of their secrecy.

Lastly, about the thoughts of the witnesses- a lot of their time has been spent discussing things with themselves, and quite likely a big portion of that was spent in contemplation of Renesmee. So the bulk of any third-party thoughts Aro got from Edward would have to do with the subject matter at hand anyway.

Let's also not forget that Aro already knew most of the witnesses, so he quite likely already knew enough about them prior to getting Edward's thoughts.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Hmmm, if I may add my three cents. First, I don't think letting Aro lived went against Edward's character or the Cullens. In fact, just as I found the battles ultimate conclusion to be one only the Cullens would be able to pull off, letting Aro walk away PHYSICALLY unscathed was a perfectly Cullenesque move. Edward, just as the rest of the Cullens, will fight if necessary. But he has no love of violence. He has always struck me as one who much prefers a battle of wits. And they won this battle soundly. Second, I think the one thing that is being overlooked is the fact that the Volturi had just been soundly and completely defeated for the first time ever. And, what's more, they were beaten at their own game; a battle ended before it began because of superiorily gifted individuals. Letting the Volturi walk away physically unharmed gives the Cullens, and particularly Edward, a psychological edge over them. The Volturi are now fully aware that they essentially owe their lives to the Cullens and their odd way of life. As Edward says, it will take them decades or centuries to even process how it was they lost so soundly. And, it wil definitely make them think twice before pursuing the Cullens or any of their allies. Aro's knowledge is useless if he is afraid to use it.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Jazz Girl wrote:Hmmm, if I may add my three cents. First, I don't think letting Aro lived went against Edward's character or the Cullens. In fact, just as I found the battles ultimate conclusion to be one only the Cullens would be able to pull off, letting Aro walk away PHYSICALLY unscathed was a perfectly Cullenesque move. Edward, just as the rest of the Cullens, will fight if necessary. But he has no love of violence. He has always struck me as one who much prefers a battle of wits. And they won this battle soundly. Second, I think the one thing that is being overlooked is the fact that the Volturi had just been soundly and completely defeated for the first time ever. And, what's more, they were beaten at their own game; a battle ended before it began because of superiorily gifted individuals. Letting the Volturi walk away physically unharmed gives the Cullens, and particularly Edward, a psychological edge over them. The Volturi are now fully aware that they essentially owe their lives to the Cullens and their odd way of life. As Edward says, it will take them decades or centuries to even process how it was they lost so soundly. And, it wil definitely make them think twice before pursuing the Cullens or any of their allies. Aro's knowledge is useless if he is afraid to use it.
Too true. I very important fact that I overlooked. I just pondered it in terms of Edward and what would have possesed him to risk giving Aro an advantage. But another factor I overlooked was that Edward himself was there from conception through birth for Nessie and nothing would have provided a more sound eye witness account than that. Good discussion, thanks for your three cents.
Your two cents too, David!
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

Jazz Girl wrote:Hmmm, if I may add my three cents. First, I don't think letting Aro lived went against Edward's character or the Cullens. In fact, just as I found the battles ultimate conclusion to be one only the Cullens would be able to pull off, letting Aro walk away PHYSICALLY unscathed was a perfectly Cullenesque move. Edward, just as the rest of the Cullens, will fight if necessary. But he has no love of violence. He has always struck me as one who much prefers a battle of wits. And they won this battle soundly. Second, I think the one thing that is being overlooked is the fact that the Volturi had just been soundly and completely defeated for the first time ever. And, what's more, they were beaten at their own game; a battle ended before it began because of superiorily gifted individuals. Letting the Volturi walk away physically unharmed gives the Cullens, and particularly Edward, a psychological edge over them. The Volturi are now fully aware that they essentially owe their lives to the Cullens and their odd way of life. As Edward says, it will take them decades or centuries to even process how it was they lost so soundly. And, it wil definitely make them think twice before pursuing the Cullens or any of their allies. Aro's knowledge is useless if he is afraid to use it.
Wouldn't something like that provoke the Volturi somewhere along the line thinking the Cullen coven would possibly one day over power them? Not in the terms of taking them down and destroying them, but make the Volturi look weaker and less respected for it once they recuperate from the situation?

And also, what if Charlie figures it out eventually? I don't think he would go an research it like Bella, maybe he just put 2 and 2 together one day and...? I know, straying from ze Edward now. ^^;
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
desire4vampires
Wandering Through Town

Post by desire4vampires »

ok I have a question that I have always wondered about Edward. Why does he hate himself so much? Throughout the series he keeps referring to himself as a "monster" and I don't think he realizes how wrong he is. He has more self-control than he gives himself credict for. It can't be completely because he is a vampire because his whole family is vampires and he doesn't consider them "monsters". I have read midnight sun and all I can gather is the fact that he has a monster within himself, but the thing is he never allows that monster come out and lose control.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

desire4vampires wrote:ok I have a question that I have always wondered about Edward. Why does he hate himself so much? Throughout the series he keeps referring to himself as a "monster" and I don't think he realizes how wrong he is. He has more self-control than he gives himself credict for. It can't be completely because he is a vampire because his whole family is vampires and he doesn't consider them "monsters". I have read midnight sun and all I can gather is the fact that he has a monster within himself, but the thing is he never allows that monster come out and lose control.

There are actually several reasons, I think, why Edward sees himself as a monster. I don't think he necessarily hates himself. But, he hates what he is, what it takes away from him. I suppose you could say it is completely because he is a vampire. He wouldn't hate himself were he human. But, it's not that he hates vampires per say. Edward is much harder on himself than he is on anyone else, holds himself to the highest of high expectations. Where he pities Jasper for his struggle, scolds him a little for not being more proactive in managing it, he hates that he is even tempted at all. Yes, his control is amazing. But, he's also got the second bloodiest record in the family by choice. I think his period of rebellion has a lot to do with it. Edward chose to hunt humans. It doesn't matter what kind of humans he hunted. It doesn't matter that he saved hundreds or thousands in the process. He just remembers enjoying...revelling in... taking human life and he hates himself for it. He hates that it will ALWAYS be his first instinct and that it is even a struggle at all.

Now, add to that that he struggles at all to resist Bella's blood. His instinct, because of what he is, is to kill the person he loves most in the world, to take away his own reason for existence. How could he not hate himself? In the end, he doesn't give himself any credit for the person he is... has become... all he focuses on what he did in the past and what he wants to do because of his vampiric nature.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

*raises a glass* *clears throat*

A quick anniversary wish for an eternity of love and blessings for Edward & Bella... literally. ;)
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty