Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by diane771 »

Great suff Esme echo, here;s my viewm=, When in Rome, live as a Roman...Right Diane?
DK, flattery will get you no where with me. who said this?
Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.
Gotcha! :twisted:
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Dark Knight wrote:Too some degree I agree with you...But I put this to you...have you ever been tested on a base level? Your principles or your life? i have found in my life that it is easy to say you will live to your principles until you have a crusible that has real consiquences to it...

Edward does have a path that he seems to live, But i don't know that he is living to it...Bella is love struck and we see him through those rose color glasses. So how much is true and how much is just her will telling her it's that way?
Yes; I think every adult has had their testing time. Probably my greatest crucible came in the Army. Four years of that in the mid-70's was definately a test on just about every level.

Edward is very honest in Midnight Sun, so for at least a little while, we see him clearly without Bella's rose-colored glasses. Except for his indefensible decision to stick around and "protect" Bella--to the point that he could not leave--Edward tried hard to do what he felt was right.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Esme echo wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:Too some degree I agree with you...But I put this to you...have you ever been tested on a base level? Your principles or your life? i have found in my life that it is easy to say you will live to your principles until you have a crusible that has real consiquences to it...

Edward does have a path that he seems to live, But i don't know that he is living to it...Bella is love struck and we see him through those rose color glasses. So how much is true and how much is just her will telling her it's that way?
Yes; I think every adult has had their testing time. Probably my greatest crucible came in the Army. Four years of that in the mid-70's was definately a test on just about every level.

Edward is very honest in Midnight Sun, so for at least a little while, we see him clearly without Bella's rose-colored glasses. Except for his indefensible decision to stick around and "protect" Bella--to the point that he could not leave--Edward tried hard to do what he felt was right.
He does have some of those, what is he thinking moments...The best I can say is we don't gey enough of his processing in MS to see how he is...I would like to see him in early NM t get a pure look at his motives...

The army will test you, 1988 to 1992.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

****MIDNIGHT SUN SPOILER ALERT****

On the contrary, I think we get a very good picture of Edward in Midnight Sun. He is very consistent.
Edward wrote:When change came for one of us, it was a rare and permanent thing. ... I would always love this fragile human girl, for the rest of my limitless existence. I gazed at her unconscious face, feeling this love for her settle into every portion of my stone body.
From the time he recognized his love for Bella (the first night he spent in her room), Edward was determined to do whatever he could to keep her safe.
Edward wrote:Always watching her, I began to plot. I loved her, and so I would try to be strong enough to leave her. I knew I wasn't that strong now. I would work on that one.
He always underestimated her love for him.
Edward wrote:She couldn't love me the way I loved her--such an overpowering, all-consuming, crushing love would probably break her fragile body.
He didn't respect Bella's natural judgment.
Edward wrote:I frowned to myself. What Bella wanted and what was best for Bella were two very separate things.
I could go through the whole book and give nore examples, but I don't have that much time right now. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think anything Edward did or didn't do in New Moon or Eclipse was not foreshadowed in the little bit of Midnight Sun that we have.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Esme echo wrote:****MIDNIGHT SUN SPOILER ALERT****

On the contrary, I think we get a very good picture of Edward in Midnight Sun. He is very consistent.
Edward wrote:When change came for one of us, it was a rare and permanent thing. ... I would always love this fragile human girl, for the rest of my limitless existence. I gazed at her unconscious face, feeling this love for her settle into every portion of my stone body.
From the time he recognized his love for Bella (the first night he spent in her room), Edward was determined to do whatever he could to keep her safe.
Edward wrote:Always watching her, I began to plot. I loved her, and so I would try to be strong enough to leave her. I knew I wasn't that strong now. I would work on that one.
He always underestimated her love for him.
Edward wrote:She couldn't love me the way I loved her--such an overpowering, all-consuming, crushing love would probably break her fragile body.
He didn't respect Bella's natural judgment.
Edward wrote:I frowned to myself. What Bella wanted and what was best for Bella were two very separate things.
I could go through the whole book and give nore examples, but I don't have that much time right now. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think anything Edward did or didn't do in New Moon or Eclipse was not foreshadowed in the little bit of Midnight Sun that we have.

So what do you conclude by these biews, Could it be different in NM? He's a different Vamp at the begining in NM?

Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Dark Knight, you're not making sense to me this morning. Would you please rephrase?
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Esme echo wrote:Dark Knight, you're not making sense to me this morning. Would you please rephrase?

You make good points that lead in a particular direction...So what I am asking is what do you see these points leading too? What do they mean to you? How do you see them playing out? What Insight do these points give you about Edward?

Does this help?

Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I points I made in the previous post were all supposed to lead to my final statement:

"I don't think anything Edward did or didn't do in New Moon or Eclipse was not foreshadowed in the little bit of Midnight Sun that we have." My whole point was that he DIDN'T change. Edward was totally consistent throughout the books.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I think Edward's view on life changed. I think his attitude changed when he met Bella, but his personality and character remain the same throughout the books, to me at least. Maybe he learns a few things, slowly, painstakingly, but he learns them. But it's not like his character really developed all that much. He's basically the same guy in BD as he was in Twilight.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Edward was a different character in BD than Twilight. I saw a change in him almost immeditatly after he met Bella. It's a shame that even when the Cullen's and Bella see changes in Edward, that other people do not. He is more open and wants to know about humans and what they do and like to do, he shows that when he picks Bella up from school. he is learning all about humans with his questions. He even starts sitting with Bella and her friends for lunch. That was pretty obvious, and the fact he brought a girl home to meet the family, something he never did before. Somebody that he focused on more than anything else, and all he wanted was her to be happy and safe. This not only is growing in character development, but also growing his personalilty too. Edward sticks by his morals and what he believes in, which one would hope does, even when they do meet that special person. Bella fell in love with Edward in Twilight, not someone else in BD. So it makes sense that the core of Edward is the same, the inner Edward that Bella fell in love with. Not somebody so different in BD she couldn't even recognize from Twilight. That is the way I would want it, and most people who fall in love, would and its good to keep that essence of yourself yet grow in spirit, and with the person you love. To me that is what happened with Bella and Edward.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001