Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by The Dark Knight »

How do I broach this subject? Those that have not killed have no idea what Edward means when he says he is a monster. To even speculate is an entertaining venture but in reality it's far from OK. There is a distinction in what Edward did over say an executioner or even a soldier. He was not killing but rather murdering which makes the stain upon his soul that much darker…It’s an up close and personal method he used. He saw the lights go out in the men he killed. This does not go away, and no one can excuse or pardon him for his actions. He gets to live with that forever…

Una, I have been spiked up several times, so I have no faith in the Mods maintaining civility for long. That’s just me I guess.

Here’s a few quotes that may give you.

V for Vendetta:
V: But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. [carves V into poster on wall] The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. [giggles] Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Gates of Fire:
“When a warrior fights not for himself, but for his brothers, when his most passionately sought goal is neither glory nor his own life’s preservation, but to spend his substance for them, his comrades, not to abandon them, not to prove unworthy of them, then his heart truly has achieved contempt for death, and with that he transcends himself and his actions touch the sublime. This is why the true warrior cannot speak of battle save to his brothers who have been there with him. This truth is too holy, too sacred, for words. I myself would not presume to give it speech, save here now, with you.”

Four Feathers:

For those who have journeyed to far off lands to fight Know a soldiers greatest comfort is to have his friends close at hand, In the heat of battle it ceases to be an idea or a flag, rather, We fight for the man on our left. and we fight for the man on our right. when armies scatter and when empires fall away all that remains is the memories of those precious moments we spent side by side.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

V for Vendetta:
V: But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. [carves V into poster on wall] The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. [giggles] Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Ok Dk your veneer and verbose verdict and vindictive is void of any veracity. Edward who was for a time was vitiate when he trying to vicissitude himself as a vampire. Now he is seeking venial within himself and be able to venial himself to become the man he really is.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Diane - Lots of V's in there. Too many for my English knowledge :D I would have to use a dictionary for half of those words.
The Dark Knight wrote:How do I broach this subject? Those that have not killed have no idea what Edward means when he says he is a monster. To even speculate is an entertaining venture but in reality it's far from OK. There is a distinction in what Edward did over say an executioner or even a soldier. He was not killing but rather murdering which makes the stain upon his soul that much darker…It’s an up close and personal method he used. He saw the lights go out in the men he killed. This does not go away, and no one can excuse or pardon him for his actions. He gets to live with that forever…
DK - I don't disagree with you in that Edward viewed himself as a monster. He most certainly did. And he did have to live with the lives that he took for the rest of his existence. He would never get passed what he did, or forget the look in their eyes when they realized that they were about to die. But this is Edward judging himself, like I am sure everyone who has ever taken a life does, even if it was by accident. The guilt will be with them always. But just because Edward saw himself as a monster, doesn't mean that we have to.

You know I don't believe in the existence of a soul, but if I did, I don't see that everyone who has ever taken a life has stains on their souls. And I don't judge Edward they way that he judges himself. Because for me, Edward was only doing what was in his nature. Like a bear killing a human in the woods. Edward is a predator, by nature. He needs blood to survive. And it goes against his nature not to kill humans. When he killed, he was completely driven by instincts. Rationally he didn't want to kill anyone, but it was what he was and what he needed to do. And instead of passing judgement on him for that, I commend him for fighting the predator in himself and return to the veggie lifestyle. Because that is the unnatural way of life for his kind.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Dovrebanen I was just answering DK's V is for vendetta in v's that exonerate Edward in DK's language. Maybe he is looking up what I said too. :D
I am surprise to find so many people find fault in Edward when SM did not write him that way. He has admitted to his "crimes" and deals with them always, I guess I could go as far to say more than most would if put in Edwards place. That to me just shows that he is repentive and is self persecuting of his deeds for ever. A non repentive man would not see fault or see what he was, nor judge himself the way Edward does. Edward is his own worse critic and I find that frustrating and endearing at the same time. Edward is complex, but he seek no vindication on his actions. So why does everybody have to see the bad in him and not the good? Edward is aware of it, so it seems to me that people think that he is running from that part of himself and its quiet the opposite. He can't win, sorry but from seeing some post I get a feeling that people want to focus on the bad side of Edward but leave out the fact that he knows what he did was wrong and he is dealing with that demon everyday and trying to overcome those demons and he has for decades. Thats just my opinion
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

diane771 wrote:Dovrebanen I was just answering DK's V is for vendetta in v's that exonerate Edward in DK's language. Maybe he is looking up what I said too. :D
I am surprise to find so many people find fault in Edward when SM did not write him that way. He has admitted to his "crimes" and deals with them always, I guess I could go as far to say more than most would if put in Edwards place. That to me just shows that he is repentive and is self persecuting of his deeds for ever. A non repentive man would not see fault or see what he was, nor judge himself the way Edward does. Edward is his own worse critic and I find that frustrating and endearing at the same time. Edward is complex, but he seek no vindication on his actions. So why does everybody have to see the bad in him and not the good? Edward is aware of it, so it seems to me that people think that he is running from that part of himself and its quiet the opposite. He can't win, sorry but from seeing some post I get a feeling that people want to focus on the bad side of Edward but leave out the fact that he knows what he did was wrong and he is dealing with that demon everyday and trying to overcome those demons and he has for decades. Thats just my opinion
OK Diane, not my fault you wish to cast the villian as the victum. He ask for no reprival for his crimes from the warden, so why are you sending one. :D By the way I do know all the V words and a few more that vould vet moderated very vuickly...ph not I'm stuck on VVVVVVV's....

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

No DK, why is it so hard to see the good in Edward without him asking for the warden? I see him and what he lives with and he is not asking for sympathy or exoneration he is a man who accept responsiblity for his actions and doesn't go around saying forgive me I am such a horrible person and I need your approval. The only person that he should want to exonerate him, are not the people in his life right now.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

diane771 wrote:No DK, why is it so hard to see the good in Edward without him asking for the warden? I see him and what he lives with and he is not asking for sympathy or exoneration he is a man who accept responsiblity for his actions and doesn't go around saying forgive me I am such a horrible person and I need your approval. The only person that he should want to exonerate him, are not the people in his life right now.
We had an Edward love fest not but 4 pages back...Besides you have missed the point of my post at the top of page 4

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

*sigh* let's not fall into this again.

Every character has faults and flaws and it's important to discuss all parts of them and explore everything about them, which is why we are all here. There are plenty of fan-girl sites out there. But I don't think anyone is a villain, especially not Edward.

What makes a villain? I would think someone who is evil, someone who is intentionally hurting people, someone who is doing bad things. Which of those is Edward?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

holdingoutforjacob wrote:*sigh* let's not fall into this again.

Every character has faults and flaws and it's important to discuss all parts of them and explore everything about them, which is why we are all here. There are plenty of fan-girl sites out there. But I don't think anyone is a villain, especially not Edward.

What makes a villain? I would think someone who is evil, someone who is intentionally hurting people, someone who is doing bad things. Which of those is Edward?
Well, HOFJ, He was all three things at one point, now we see him trying to redeem himself so we think he's a good guy but what would you think of him if we found him during hie revellios phase...the same guy we see today...I think not...He did hurt people, he did do bad things, he did evil acts such as murder...Those are who he is just the same as he is trying to reddem himself today...So is he a good guy or a bad guy, I would think both....

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. A villain is someone who is doing all those things to innocents.

Because, my friend, if you count everyone who hurts people intending to do bad things as evil, you count many heroes in that too. Batman, for one. Most comic book heroes. And many very good, very brave men and women who defend us on a day-to-day basis, such as police officers and members of the military.

The police officer who shoots the criminal in the hostage situation is evil? A villain? Because essentially it's the same thing. The hostage taker is intending to do harm to innocent people. Edward only killed those who were planning on doing harm to innocent people.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...