A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by Tornado »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
"And how long have you been seventeen?" "A while."

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
Because she's worried she gave him the wrong idea. I guess she could be worried Edward might silence him to, but I didn't think that at the time.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because she's already in love with him, and she will risk anything for that love.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I don't think it's anger that causes her to cry at this point, more the thought that Edward might go away.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
She was attracted to him from the moment they met, but was it love then? It's difficult to tell. Such things can be impossible to quantify. It had probably been building all the time. At which point it passed over to the point of no return it's difficult to say. Probably when he saved her from the van.
christopher
Settled in Forks

Post by christopher »

Alphie wrote:1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
My favorite are the lines where Bella asks Edward how old he is. He immediately answers her question, only to have her challege his response. Of course, that's when he finally admits the truth.
Alphie wrote:2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
I don't think she regrets it, only that she's embarrassed to admit to it in front of Edward.
Alphie wrote:3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
It doesn't matter because it won't change how she feels about him. She's already made up her mind when it comes to her opinion of him. Everything else is just details.
Alphie wrote:4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think she feels betrayed. Here Edward is, telling her how he feels. She then responds in kind, only to have him tell her that her feelings are "wrong".
Alphie wrote:5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
I'd say when he was finally honest with her.
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by TwilightFan87 »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
-Bella's theory on that men are crabbier when they're hungry :) a theory I fully agree with.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
A little bit, mostly because she doesn't want Edward to be jealous or hurt that she flirted with another guy.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
Because now she's aware of the reality that Edward isn't the safest guy to have around, but she chooses to not care. It doesn't matter what he is..she's looking beyond that. Looking at the good..seeing more in him than what he is.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
I think because she's angry that he might go away because of her..or that he doesn't care about it.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
Probably when he saved her life in Port Angeles :)
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Bella : "Burn by the sun? Edward: "Myth.' Bella "Sleeping in coffins?" EDward laughs "myth. Such typical questions from human.'

Yes because she didn't want to led him on.

I think at this point she knows she's in way to deep with emotions. She knows Edward cares for her and wouldn't hurt her so the rest doesn't matter.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

Bella feels deeply for him and for the fact that Edward tells her this is all wrong, she feels for him and he is trying to fight it off.

For me I think she was drawn to him instantly and when she feel in love with him was when he comes back trying to make everything appear normal for how he behaved her first day.
Banner by TammyAZ
Kat_Mac
Learning to Love Green

Post by Kat_Mac »

I love the AM/FM Frequency bit. What a way to talk about brains.

Yes, because it embarrasses her and reliving it makes her feel all the more embarrassed. I think she felt a little underhanded, sort of using him, and she feels a little guilty about it.

Because she loves him. She knows he's saved her life at least once, and it's convinced her that she's in no immediate danger in spite of what he is - the save in Port Angeles only made her feel stronger about that. She's willing to put all of the worries aside just to be with him.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
Rejection. She's opening up as much as Edward is, but a lot of the time when she tells him how she feels he tells her it's wrong, or that she shouldn't feel that way. I think she feels rejected by him, even as she knows he feels something for her. The tears are a mixture of rejection, and anger at feeling rejected when she has it in her mind that she doesn't 'deserve' him anyway, and therefore shouldn't be surprised at his rejection.

I'm not sure that there was one point, because they were so on-and-off with Edward's mood swings. I think his honesty, and the fact that they'd spent time alone talking about their reality, just made her realise that she was in love with him. I think the moments before that - his introducing himself in Biology, saving her from the van, blood typing, their after-school conversations, him saving her in Port Angeles, the meal at the restaurant - all contributed to her falling in love, but she wasn't able to put it together as love until they'd had that conversation.