A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Theory

Post by kaitlyncullen »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?
"I fall down a lot when I run." wow, bella, thats an understatement. haha. i just thought it was cute how she said it so simply.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?
i think maybe a little bit, she knows he's got a crush and she feels bad cus he's a good kid but she loves edward.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?
because SHE LOVES HIM. whatever happens in the future (her turning into a vampire), whatever he is (a vampire, monster in his eyes) it just doesn't matter, as long as she's with him.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.
a little bit of rejection, some anger, and a lot of being frustrated.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?
i think maybe when he saved her and all the other times with him after that eventually led up to it.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?"Enough commentary on my driving"-Edward don't know I like them all so I skimmed the chapter again.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?Nope

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?I really don't know.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry. I think she feels angry at herself.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?That she didn't care what he was.
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. I think all of that stuff about vampir emyths was very funny.

2. Yes. She didn't know him as weel, so it is probably easy to feal bad.

3. That Edward is a vampire.

4. I think she is just upset at the fact that he doesn't think they can be together.

5. I think I will have to agree with Midnight_Sunshine on this one.
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

1. There are so many humorous quotes from this chapter. The "zingers" keep coming. Which is your favorite from chapter nine and why?

Have to say it's the "I hear voices in my head, and you think you're the freak" quote!

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?

No, I think she's proud of herself. I think she regrets that she had to tell Edward that she flirted to get it out of Jacob.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?

Because she is TOTALLY in love with Edward.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears given that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

Sadness, she loves him and is thinking at the time that she is the only one that feels that way. He is kinda acting like a Vulgar Language Is Ugly after she tells him her theory.

5. The chapter ends with the famous "three things" quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Edward?

Personally I think it was when he saved her from Tyler's van.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
IFellUrEmotions
Wandering Through Town

Post by IFellUrEmotions »

I like when their talking about what he is and when Edward hesitate Bella says "I thought we were past all the evasions?" and then later he parrots it back when she hesitates. and of course the required " I hear voices in my head and you think your a freak." Don't really know why. I just do.

A little just because she is such a caring person that she can't not feel some guilt about leading him on like that. And at the same time I think shes a bit, well, she feels a bit accomplished. For having gotten him to tell her.

I think that it's because she has decided that Edward as a being is not bad. In fact, shes decided that he must be good so it doesn't matter WHAT he is because WHO he is is much more important.

4. Bella is on the verge of tears once and then finally does cry a second time. What emotion do you think is largely responsible for her tears givien that we know she only usually cries when she is angry.

I think that it is a combination of emotions. One of them being frustration, because this freindship/relationship is so new and they still haven't established how stronglyt they feel for eachother really, so she still feels extremly vunerable so she overanalizes everything.

I think that it was builing sub-consiously the more she observed and got to know him. She realized this when she leaned about how he was a Vampire tring to fight against his true nature to be as human as possible.
ImageAnd then Romeo Killed Juliet
ShadowNIN
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ShadowNIN »

I like when Edward taps his forehead and says "Built in radar detector." And when Bella is listing all the vampire fokelore and he keeps saying "Myth."

Yes, because she thinks he might be in danger now.

It doesn'tmatter what Edward is. She is already in love with him and nothing can change that.

I think it is hurt. Edward is upset that she is already in love with him and she thinks it is because he doesn't feel that way about her.

In her dream when she realized it didn't matter what he was and she wanted him to be safe.
ImageImage
SydlovesTwilight
Settled in Forks

Post by SydlovesTwilight »

"I felt silly, asking for clarification on make-believe."- pg 180
I don't know why, its just a very clever line. We as the reader know that it isn't make believe and so does bella. It's kind of like she saying its silly also because I know this has to be true and saying it this way is weird.

"Holy crow!"- pg 181
Haha. I laughed so much after reading this. I totally pictured it and it's just so something an older woman would say compared to a seventeen year old girl. Which that goes back to the idea of bella being an old soul.

2. Do you think Bella is starting to regret that she flirted with Jacob in order to get information from him?Not really regretting, but somewhat embarrassed and maybe afraid edward will be mad about her investigating.

3. Much of the chapter centers around the phrase, "it doesn't matter". Why exactly doesn't it matter to Bella?Bella "unconditionally and irrevocably" is in love with him as said in the last line of the chapter. She is going to accept him for being a vampire, a normal guy stuck in a fantasy, or whatever you will.

I really don't know.

I think it officially started when Edward said he was anxious to be away from her. I started noticing her change into something different. Treasuring the moment she had with him right then rather than trying to get information out of him about who he truly was.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

"Enough commentary on my driving

Maybe about the whole leading him bit but apart from that nope.

That he is a monster, it is simply irrelevant to her, she realizes she loves him so much more than that

Crushed and hurt, he just told her off for loving him how would you feel?

Yeah, when he saved her from the van.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

"My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak?" --haha i can relate to it.
"I hear voices in my mind and you're worried that you're that freak?" --i just thought this was so funny.
"Holy crow!" --i just wasnt expecting Bella to say this. i never even heard anyone say that before.
"Enough commentary on my driving." --Edward just cracks me up!
"I'd like to have seen that. And you accused me of dazzling people - poor Jacob Black." --this was so cute!
and all the myth talk. all were very funny to me.

maybe a little. i think she was surprised that her attempt worked so well and wasnt expecting it. but i think she likes the attention from Jacob at least.

because she decided that she loves Edward. no matter what. it doesnt matter what he is just that she loves him and hopefully he loves her too.

she is feeling rejected. like he doesnt want her to feel so passionate about him. she is angry but doesnt want to waste the time with him-she fears this might be the only time they are open and talking like this.

i think it was building. and i think it was set permanent when he said that it made him anxious to be away from her and her admitting that it makes her anxious too.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

"I'd like to have seen that. And you accused me of dazzling people - poor Jacob Black." - Edward
I love this one because Bella really doesn't get the way the boys in Forks or Edward see her. She thought her attempts to flirt with Jacob looked foolish but seen through Jacob's or Edward's eyes it would have looked pretty dazzling.

Now that she has a better concept of the truth, I think she realized that she put Jacob in an awkward spot by convincing him to tell her the stories. I don't think she regrets the knowledge she gained but she probably did regret getting Jacob involved because she doesn't know how the vampires will feel about what he did.

Bella has realized that no matter what Edward is, vampire or not, she can't stand the thought of not being with him. So regardless of what he is, she still wants to be a part of his life. She's in love with him.

She was in pain. Edward snapped at her when she spoke about her feelings for him so she felt rejected and hurt.

I can't pinpoint an exact time. I think it built up gradually and she started to realize it on the day she went for a walk in the woods to think.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/